Got the piece for my mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
photogal

Got the piece for my mask

Post by photogal » Thu May 05, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi, you all,
I picked up the little missing soft plastic piece for the outflow port on my Ultra Mirage FF mask. I didn't have my mask with me, just got the piece and brought it home. I have it in place, but one of you guys Meister? MartiniLover? One of you said you installed that piece wrong way around (inside out) once.
So which way is right? Do the nozzle projections face to the inside or outside? It was hard getting that thing seated in there.
Also, in the hard plastic crescent shape there is a half-round projecting into the crescent..actually makes the crescent. It is the half round part that comes down in the middle. Does the soft plastic piece fit over that projection or under it? I see that same shape in the soft plastic piece, and it looks like it should go under. Not sure though.
I'm fumbling in the dark, here. One week from tomorrow for my surgery, and I'd sure like to get settled in with this thing first.
The lady at the surgery center did tell me to bring my BiPAP and they would set it up for my recovery.

tird guy

Post by tird guy » Thu May 05, 2005 5:15 pm

The lump should be on the out side of the mask. The hard shell of the mask fits between the two soft lips of the exhaust port piece.

Hope this helps.

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Thu May 05, 2005 5:28 pm

Photogal, did you ever get your "small" Mirage FF mask exchanged back to a "medium"? I got my Mirage FF last week, and its been hissing, squeeking and farting ever since. It may be too early to use the word "hate", but I'm sure not getting along with this mask so far...
Mike

Respironics RemStar Auto w/C-Flex
Respironics Warm Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift and Ultra Mirage FF Interfaces (formerly Tiara SNAPP)
10' CPAP Hose

photogal

post subject

Post by photogal » Thu May 05, 2005 5:36 pm

Tird guy, thanks for the tip on putting the piece on.

Sleepless, actually, my first mask was a large and didn't fit from the git-go.
I traded it for a medium Monday, and when I was ready to put it on, it had the soft plastic piece missing from the port.
I'll be eager to find out how it goes tonight. But the large didn't make any particular loud noises other than the whoosh sound as I breathed. Hopefully, this one will go well, too, but when I tried the same medium on before, it whistled. Maybe that will be eliminated with the new port fitting.
I hope your mask settles down. You know how new pets are, they whine all night when you first get them.

photogal

post subject

Post by photogal » Thu May 05, 2005 5:39 pm

P.S.
Sleepless, everytime I read your post with that scary picture, I'm thinking in the recesses of my mind that's what you really look like. I know better, but that is one shocking picture.

snork1

Re: mythical references

Post by snork1 » Thu May 05, 2005 9:19 pm

photogal wrote:P.S.
Sleepless, everytime I read your post with that scary picture, I'm thinking in the recesses of my mind that's what you really look like. I know better, but that is one shocking picture.
Obviously photogal is NOT a Trekkie.

That is just one of the cuter friendlier Borg.....
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

photogal

post subject

Post by photogal » Fri May 06, 2005 7:59 am

NOT a Trekkie, I guess. I did see the original Star Trek movies, and followed the first television series on the regular network, but didn't get into the later ones.
I guess I got my missing piece installed correctly, as the mask worked last night. It did whistle some, but not all of the time, and not very loud. I slept.
Things are looking up.

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Fri May 06, 2005 9:43 pm

Humans:

Thanks to our collective consciousness, the big, bad Borg intellectual machine has developed and tested a new invention that has yielded some interesting (and promising) results. Last night, I used my (recently purchased) chinstrap as a "maskstrap" to apply rearward pressure to the center of my Ultra Mirage FF mask, thereby achieving a superior mask-to-cranium seal. I only had to moderately tighten the chinstrap to provide the needed support to almost totally eliminate the previous sealing problems with this mask.

I will continue testing this invention (thanks, Rested Gal) and report on its success the next time I visit Earth.
Mike

Respironics RemStar Auto w/C-Flex
Respironics Warm Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift and Ultra Mirage FF Interfaces (formerly Tiara SNAPP)
10' CPAP Hose

photogal

posted subject

Post by photogal » Sat May 07, 2005 7:05 am

Sleepless, good show! Glad your new strap worked.
Read my post regarding the Swift I just received yesterday, and tried out last night.

neversleeps

Post by neversleeps » Sat May 07, 2005 7:25 am

photogal,

No sense trying to avoid looking at sleepless avatar.

Resistance is futile.

photogal

post subject

Post by photogal » Sat May 07, 2005 10:37 am

True....<staring at sleepless>