Wake up around 3:00 or 4:00 AM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Spiritus

Wake up around 3:00 or 4:00 AM

Post by Spiritus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:49 pm

Hi,

I've been very diligent with my CPAP compliance, but I find that almost every night, I wake up quite early (well before sunrise) and fall back to sleep without my mask on. I've mentioned it to my sleep doctor three times now, but he seems to not want to address the issue. He told me that if I wake up at 4 pm, I've already derived most of the benefit from CPAP. To me this doesn't make much sense, since I go to bed around 11 or 12, and fall asleep somewhere around 1 AM.

What do you folks thing about this situation?

Thank you,

Rob Yale

Sergey45

Re: Wake up around 3:00 or 4:00 AM

Post by Sergey45 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:22 pm

Well, my sleeping patern is very similar, thou most of the nights I fall asllep not later than 11. But yes, I am up long before sunrise. Most of the time after I woke up I am somewhere inbetween – not asleep and not awake, trying to fall asleep. I’d say I am able to do that in 75% of the cases, if not I am just getting up. Feeling awful then.

Sleepdeprived

Post by Sleepdeprived » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:21 pm

[quote="Spiritus"]Hi,

I've been very diligent with my CPAP compliance, but I find that almost every night, I wake up quite early (well before sunrise) and fall back to sleep without my mask on. I've mentioned it to my sleep doctor three times now, but he seems to not want to address the issue. He told me that if I wake up at 4 pm, I've already derived most of the benefit from CPAP. To me this doesn't make much sense, since I go to bed around 11 or 12, and fall asleep somewhere around 1 AM.

Thank you,

Rob Yale

roster

Post by roster » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm

[quote="Spiritus"]Hi,

Thank you,

Rob Yale

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:02 pm

rooster wrote:
Spiritus wrote:Hi,

I've been very diligent with my CPAP compliance,

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): CPAP
I think your doctor made a moronic statement. 3 hours of sleep with good cpap therapy is not enough. Any sleep you get without cpap may be doing more damage than if you just got up and straggled to work.
Ok, I don't disagree that the doc's statement was ridiculous. But what should I do? One other respondent suggested I just keep the mask on and fall asleep again, but i've tried to do that, with no success. If I take the mask off, I fall asleep in minutes. Plus, most of the time, now, I don't even remember the waking up and removing the mask part. I just wake up in the morning with no mask, and a dry throat.

Rob

roster

Post by roster » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:11 pm

[quote="Spiritus"]..........One other respondent suggested I just keep the mask on and fall asleep again, but i've tried to do that, with no success. If I take the mask off, I fall asleep in minutes. Plus, most of the time, now, I don't even remember the waking up and removing the mask part. I just wake up in the morning with no mask, and a dry throat.

Rob

I have a vision that we will figure out an easy way to ensure that children develop wide, deep, healthy and attractive jaws and then obstructive sleep apnea becomes an obscure bit of history.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ycw4uaX ... re=related

BluBtl

Post by BluBtl » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:26 pm

I was like you last week. I have been on CPAP for only three weeks. I was reading cpaptalk-articles/recovery-CPAP-adaptation-stages.html and if im right is one of the stages that you go thru.

Sleepless in Honolulu

Daddysaur

Post by Daddysaur » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:30 pm

For starters lets say you should have 8 full hours of sleep, and you should do the research to find the recommended hours for you. What time will the eight hours start? are you in bed then? 11pm, 12 pm sounds late to me. I now go to bed at 10 to get eight hours. I used to stay up like you are now but have committed to getting the full amount of quality sleep I need to function. And the nights I foolishly slip and stay up later, I pay for the next day. I also have trouble going to sleep on those nights. Try getting a plan and sticking to it until your body expects the routine. Efforts to avoid naps and stay alert during the day also help you go to sleep and sleep through the night. Best of luck to you and keep us posted. You will probably learn some tips as you go that others can use. I now get in bed by 10 pm and wake up between 4:30 and 7 am, so these suggestions are not magic but they are getting me closer to the sleep I need.

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:47 pm

waking at 4AM?

I doubt you are done sleeping, most likely cause is your pressure isn't high enough to clear obstructive events.

Since at about that time you are probably in REM sleep or in a near wake state you can wake quite easily.

I would try increasing your pressure by 1 cm and see how it goes.
someday science will catch up to what I'm saying...

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:35 am

Snoredog wrote:waking at 4AM?

I doubt you are done sleeping, most likely cause is your pressure isn't high enough to clear obstructive events.

Since at about that time you are probably in REM sleep or in a near wake state you can wake quite easily.

First of all, thank you to all of you who've taken the time to respond to my question!

A couple of things I should mention: my machine is a Spirit Autoset, and I've been compliant for over a year.

Rob

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:01 am

Spiritus wrote:
Snoredog wrote:waking at 4AM?

First of all, thank you to all of you who've taken the time to respond to my question!

A couple of things I should mention: my machine is a Spirit Autoset, and I've been compliant for over a year.

Rob
OH......Really? That's not the impression I got from reading your post back in March of THIS year......5 months ago.

Spiritus wrote:Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:10 pm Post subject: Quietest mask/cpap combo? Reply with quote
Hi,

For the last year, I haven't used my cpap machine, because i found myself waking up at 4:00am every morning, and being unable to get back to sleep. Add in the fact that the noise of the machine was keeping my wife awake as well, and you have a prescription for non-compliance.

But after my yearly physical a couple of months ago, my GP told me that my drivers license would be affected if I don't address treatment in some way. So, I explored the idea of a dental appliance through my dentist (who has all the gear to measure the airway collapse) but was told that the structure of my soft palette precluded that solution.

So, now I'm back to cpap. I'm currently using a Spirit Auto-PAP, and while it is a beautiful machine, I'd like to explore finding the quietest setup possible.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Rob
Just because you're using an "Autoset Spirit" doesn't mean diddly squat if it isn't configured properly.

HOW is your machine configured? Please list all of your settings in the machine......if you want to get this figured out.

You've been a member of this forum for a considerable amount of time.....longer than I have. I would have thought you'd have gotten your therapy to work by now.

About time, isn't it?

Den

Spiritus

Post by Spiritus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 am

Wulfman... wrote:
OH......Really? That's not the impression I got from reading your post back in March of THIS year......5 months ago.
The tone of your reply sounds like you've had an inspector Clouseau moment. I'm flattered that you took the time to try and catch me out in a lie.

My first post was in November 2004, right after my first sleep study. I used my CPAP for a period of time, and then stopped for a while, for the reasons I've cited. Then, I used it on and off again over a couple of years.

Apparently your research has determined that I've been compliant for half a year, rather than a year. Time goes slowly when you aren't having fun.

So what if you'd thought I'd have had my "therapy working by now"? What should I do, give up because it's been a long time?

Anyhow, thank you to all the people who provided me with helpful replies, I really should learn not to feed the trolls though...

Rob

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:14 am

wulfman... wrote:HOW is your machine configured? Please list all of your settings in the machine......if you want to get this figured out.
In response, spirtus wrote"
Spiritus wrote:So what if you'd thought I'd have had my "therapy working by now"? What should I do, give up because it's been a long time?

Den gave you a clear suggestion about you could do in order to get more help from the forum:
wulfman... wrote:HOW is your machine configured? Please list all of your settings in the machine......if you want to get this figured out.
O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 am

Spiritus wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
The tone of your reply sounds like you've had an inspector Clouseau moment. I'm flattered that you took the time to try and catch me out in a lie.

My first post was in November 2004, right after my first sleep study. I used my CPAP for a period of time, and then stopped for a while, for the reasons I've cited. Then, I used it on and off again over a couple of years.

Apparently your research has determined that I've been compliant for half a year, rather than a year. Time goes slowly when you aren't having fun.

So what if you'd thought I'd have had my "therapy working by now"? What should I do, give up because it's been a long time?

Anyhow, thank you to all the people who provided me with helpful replies, I really should learn not to feed the trolls though...

Rob
"Elementary, my dear Watson....."

DO YOU WANT HELP TO GET YOUR THERAPY FIGURED OUT OR NOT???

People are trying to help you and you're not being very forthcoming with information. If that information (about your pressure settings, etc.) is "feeding the trolls", then I don't know what kind of help you want.
Snoredog offered a suggestion and you "blew him off" saying that you were using a "Spirit Autoset". If your machine isn't set up properly, it won't help much. If your bottom pressure is set too low, it can put you in a situation of not having adequate therapy for a good portion of the night.

I merely went back through your posts to get an idea of your past history with your therapy and see what all you've tried and found some similarities and contradictions.

If you really want to get out of the situation your doctor may put you in and improve your health, then give us some information to work with.

Den

ozij

Post by ozij » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:44 am

Meanwhile I've been looking back through your posts too.

I see 2 problems:

1. Waking up at 3 or 4
2. Taking off the mask (for instance to go the bathroom) and not putting it on again.

Propblem no. 1 may be a result of pressure problems - like snoredog suggested.

However, problem 2 is up to you. A great part of how you behave at night has to do with what you feel and think about the situation.

Now, whatever the reason is for your waking up, that is not a reason for not putting the mask on again. You may be annoyed at the mask and treatment for not carrying you through the night, but the final decision to put on the mask is yours - and you have to sit there every night, before you go to bed and tell yourself - in a firm and friendly way that you a are going to put the mask back on again, no matter when or how many times you wake up. And remind yourself of that before you go to the bathroom - no sleeping without the mask. That part depends on you entirely.

People have also found that the pur-sleep essential oils have been very helpful to them: You may want to check the "strugglers" thread for example.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023