The Best Chin Strap...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleeplessinKC

The Best Chin Strap...

Post by SleeplessinKC » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:46 am

For those that have tried them, which of these chin straps works better?
Mike

Respironics RemStar Auto w/C-Flex
Respironics Warm Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift and Ultra Mirage FF Interfaces (formerly Tiara SNAPP)
10' CPAP Hose

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:54 am

Sorry. I guess the links don't work if you make them options in the poll. Anyway, here are pictures of the two (hope it works this time):

Option 1: [/url]https://bb4b1663da2f8a31ea1b-be9b2e315e ... strapc.jpg

Option 2: https://bb4b1663da2f8a31ea1b-be9b2e315e ... nstrap.bmp
Mike

10' CPAP Hose

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:56 am

Mike

10' CPAP Hose

Whitey

Post by Whitey » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:27 am

Holy Cow...what a contraption that #2 is.
Looks like a real pain.
I have one like #1 and it was worthless for me, kept sliding forward on my head and falling off. I never could get it tight enough until I added a strap that I made from a laptop carrying case that went around the back of my head. I got the idea from a strap that is manufactured like that. I know I saw them for sale on eBay but can't remember who made it.

BuffaloAl

Post by BuffaloAl » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:21 pm

I have one like #1 also. You have to adjust it constantly. If it's not quite tight enough it slips and you wake up with your mouth dried out. If it's too tight, you wake up with a red circle under you chin that people will ask you about all day. I have found it works best upside down. with the chin-hole part on my head and the strap under my chin. Still needs constant adjusting though. They also have some chin sleep straps at walgreens but I have never tried them. They are in the non prescription place where ace bandages and elbow braces and stuff are.

snork1

option 3 and 4

Post by snork1 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:36 pm

They tried to foist option 2 off on me during a sleep study. I lasted minutes before waking up screaming with clausterphobia. ...seriously, true story.

I have heard option 1 can give you a sore chin, and make you look like Dudely Doright after awhile.

Note the problem with most chin straps is they just hold the jaw shut. Try this. Push up on your jaw right now. Now blow out through your lips. Pretty negligable help, eh what? Now hold your finger directly under your lower lip, exerting a slight upward pressure. Now blow out. That should stop the air a whole lot better.

Now take that idea into your Borg lab.....
Before I made my own dental appliance to help the tongue make a seal and tossed away my chin strap, I made my own shin strap. (OK, Rested Gal has just been waiting for this with bated breath... ) My wife helped me figure out that a fabric store has a whole section of raw materials for making stuff like this, even combined with my VERY crude sewing capabilites. (no one will EVER invite me to a quilting bee) I combined a nice soft and stretchy lingerie/bra strap, that has a nice flat buckle for fine tuning, with some elastic strips to form a Y to cradle my head. Soft strap sits nicely under the lip, or chin, and isn't AS obstrusive....although I still feel a whole lot more comfy since I dumped even that.

OK, there goes my reputation in yet another forum with the Bra strap fix....
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:43 pm

Bingo!!

*Childishly humming a little singsong now:*

"Snorky wears a bra strap...Snorky wears a bra strap..."

snork1

But its a MANLY bra strap!

Post by snork1 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:05 pm

rested gal wrote::D Bingo!!

*Childishly humming a little singsong now:*

"Snorky wears a bra strap...Snorky wears a bra strap..."
WOW! You were just sitting there WAITING for that one! Musta had an alarm go off when I posted to that topic, figuring it was bait I couldn't resist.

sad to say, I don't use it anymore, so this will eventually fade into the realm of CPAP legends........
Remember:
What you read above is only one data point based on one person's opinion.
I am not a doctor, nor do I even play one on TV.
Your mileage may vary.
Follow ANY advice or opinions at your own risk.
Not everything you read is true.

DMEdaddy

Post by DMEdaddy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:17 pm

Premium chinstrap by Respironics is the champ. The worst is the Topaz as it pulls the chin back into the airway, which causes a higher AHI for many. Just punch in "chinstrap" on search on cpap.com and you will see customer feedback that should help you out.

krousseau

Post by krousseau » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:35 pm

Having used several chinstraps-the Respironics one looks best and won't pull your chin backward. The main problem is in using it along with headgear. i've added a simple chinstrap to the existing headgear for my mask using a Velstretch strap from Lowe's or Home Depot. If the under the chin piece bothers you-can you make a strap cover-though from your "photo" you don't look like a sewing type of guy-so maybe have someone make one for you. PM Pad-a-cheek or Offerocker with the length and width of the strap you end up with and see if one of them will sew up a strap cover for it.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.....Galbraith's Law

Snoredog

Post by Snoredog » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:54 am

I ordered the universal chin strap when I first started, cpap.com was out of them and sent me the DEluxe model Adam is modeling (I'd pass on that one unless you get stuck in the mud).

LOL contraption is right, I got stuck in the mud once with my ATV, used that strap tied to my truck to pull it out.

None of the straps really work for mouth breathing. You can do just as good going to Rite Aid and getting a $5 Ace bandage. One or two nights wearing that sucker should be all it takes to convince you don't need one.

If you have a baggage strap that might work as well.

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:32 am

Snoredog, good to hear I am not the only one who just uses an ace bandage from the pharmacy!