Lost my job, and therefore insurance ... HELP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
butterfly

Lost my job, and therefore insurance ... HELP

Post by butterfly » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:14 pm

I lost my job about 3 weeks ago. I cannot afford the "cobra" payments of over $300 per month, since I do not have an income! I am FINALLY feeling some positive results from CPAP and now I don't know what I will do since BCBS was only renting, they did not buy the machine for me. I'm scrambling to find insurance, but all I can probably afford is a basic major med, and they probably won't cover a "pre-existing" condition.

Does anyone know of anywhere you can get "used" CPAP machines?

Pat

SleeplessinKC

Post by SleeplessinKC » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:22 pm

You might try PM-ing MeToo. He/She is selling their RemStar Auto (according to their most recent post), and you may be able to get a good deal on it. I'm trying to convince MeToo to sell me their software and card reader, but I'm still waiting for a reply...
Mike

Respironics RemStar Auto w/C-Flex
Respironics Warm Humidifier
ResMed Mirage Swift and Ultra Mirage FF Interfaces (formerly Tiara SNAPP)
10' CPAP Hose

NeurosurgeryNP

Post by NeurosurgeryNP » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:40 pm

Get the DME to bill for the machine as apurchase before the end of the month - i.e within the next 2 days. You should be covered then,. Also, with a pre-existing condidtion, as long as you have maintained your health insurance continually before the change, the condition should be covered.

For example, I have asthma. 5 years ago, I changed jobs. Did the cobra thing before my other insurance lapsed. I was covered for the condition, my asthma on the new plan. I know cobra, is expensive, but as you said, you may be able to get another major med insurance - basic coverage - this should still cover you as long as you take the cobra until you get this coverage.

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:10 pm

Vickie M. Drum

Insurance

Post by Vickie M. Drum » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:03 am

My experience is that if you have a job. and they pick you up with their group insurance there is not pre-existing. If you go to a private policy then you have sometimes up to 10 years of pre-existing applied.

This is why I think having insurance though your job is a bad thing. Government has been trying to require employers to provide insurance. People need to have private policies so they can maintain insurance indefinitely with out need of pre-existing.

If you tell your equipment provider that you want to private purchase a machine...it is funny how they will come up with wonderful deals. My machine went out 2 years after purchase. My deductible was not met. the Equipment provider found me a replacement machine for $50 in stead of the $700 originally paid.

Good luck.