Soon to be first time user

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lilsheba

Soon to be first time user

Post by lilsheba » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:12 am

I am going to my second sleep study tonight, where they fit me to my machine, and will be bringing it home tomorrow. I've never used one before so this will be a new experience for me. I've been reading up on everyone's experiences here, which have been helpful.

Wish me luck!

Jeanine

TXKajun

Post by TXKajun » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:13 am

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum!

Kajun

jabberwock

Post by jabberwock » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:21 am

Good luck Janine, I hope you do well with it tonight!

Since you have been reading here, hopefully you will know that you have a say in what kind of machine you are "given" and let it be known if they try to give you something you do not want.

Welcome to the forum; come back and let us know how it goes.

Bonnie

snoregirl

Post by snoregirl » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:52 am

Be very careful about a sleep place that "fits you with a a machine" Veryy possible conflict of interest. Watch out for being given a very low end machine. Know what you want before you go and don't be scared to ask for your prescription and leave without a machine if you don't get what you want.

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks I will make sure to do that! I don't know that much about the machines per se but plan to do more research today.

[quote="snoregirl"]Be very careful about a sleep place that "fits you with a a machine" Veryy possible conflict of interest. Watch out for being given a very low end machine. Know what you want before you go and don't be scared to ask for your prescription and leave without a machine if you don't get what you want.

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:48 am

lilsheba,

INSIST on:

1. leak compensation
2. exhalation relief if your pressure is at 10cm or more, or if you have trouble exhaling by morning
3. data logging capability, so that AHI and leaks can be evaluated as time progresses.

This is typically a lifelong treatment. Changes that occur over time can impact the pressure necessary to treat your apnea, and therefore you need ongoing evaluations of your progress. EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET THE SOFTWARE AND/OR CARD READER, YOU NEED A DATA LOGGING MACHINE SO THAT THE DATA CAN BE LOOKED AT BY A PROFESSIONAL.

If they don't agree that you need those three things, I recommend that you obtain a Rx stating "CPAP", and leave. Your options will still be open at this point to go to a supplier who is affiliated with your insurance that will give you a machine with these features.

Just my opinion, hope you have a good night's sleep tonight. Many feel pretty good the next day - hope you do too!

Let us know how it goes,
Cathy

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:55 am

Thank you for the advice, you and everyone

[quote="tangents"]lilsheba,

INSIST on:

1. leak compensation
2. exhalation relief if your pressure is at 10cm or more, or if you have trouble exhaling by morning
3. data logging capability, so that AHI and leaks can be evaluated as time progresses.

This is typically a lifelong treatment. Changes that occur over time can impact the pressure necessary to treat your apnea, and therefore you need ongoing evaluations of your progress. EVEN IF YOU DON'T GET THE SOFTWARE AND/OR CARD READER, YOU NEED A DATA LOGGING MACHINE SO THAT THE DATA CAN BE LOOKED AT BY A PROFESSIONAL.

If they don't agree that you need those three things, I recommend that you obtain a Rx stating "CPAP", and leave. Your options will still be open at this point to go to a supplier who is affiliated with your insurance that will give you a machine with these features.

Just my opinion, hope you have a good night's sleep tonight. Many feel pretty good the next day - hope you do too!

Let us know how it goes,
Cathy

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:41 am

Just an extra note to those who have given helpful advice, I found out what kind of machine I"m likely to end up with. It will either be a Remstar Pro M Serices or something by Puritan Bennett, and it will have the built in humidifier and smart card capability. I was told the doc there is really picky about the machines they use.

Any thoughts?

Jeanine

john44077

Post by john44077 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:56 am

Jeanine
Welcome to the forum and to the cpap world. I wish you good luck.

John

Non Custody parent's deserve equal time with there children and equal right's.

CarrieS

Post by CarrieS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:01 pm

Ive heard good things about the Remstar M series - as mentioned aim to get the version with cflex if you have a script higher then 10 (not to say some people may need exhaust relief at less then ten I do it at 9 lol) Now your mask is a different story though - just because thats the machine that doesnt neccessarily decipher which mask your getting.

tangents

Post by tangents » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:17 pm

It will either be a Remstar Pro M Serices or something by Puritan Bennett
The Remstar Pro M has everything I mentioned.
The Puritan Bennett 420SP or 420E have everything I mentioned, except exhalation relief.

I have the 420E, and like it a lot. It's perhaps better if you have a lot of central apnea. The Respironics is perhaps better if you need exhalation relief.

Good going, so far so good!

Cathy

topher

newbe

Post by topher » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:30 pm

jeanine, welcome to the form, don't hesitate to ask any questions the folk's on here are all great, and very knowlagable

CHRIS

lilsheba

Post by lilsheba » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:33 pm

Great good to know thanks! OH and on the mask they said they have different types and will try different ones through the night and see which ones work the best. I will find out more about that tonight. I know a mask can be changed out later if it's not working well. But again I hope to have that settled tonight.

6PtStar

Post by 6PtStar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:14 pm

I have the "M" Pro, wish I had asked for the Auto. It has CPAP and Auto capabilities. Good Luck.

Treesap

Post by Treesap » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:27 pm

lilsheba wrote:Great good to know thanks! OH and on the mask they said they have different types and will try different ones through the night and see which ones work the best. I will find out more about that tonight. I know a mask can be changed out later if it's not working well. But again I hope to have that settled tonight.
Getting the right mask for you is the big part of it all. I tried 7 before choosing mine. I ended up choosing one with my DME and then bought the one I really wanted off ebay a week later. (My DME didn't have the mask I REALLY wanted.) It was worth it because I had issues with the masks. A lot of people do. If you DME let's you try them out, by all means do so!

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): DME

Last edited by Treesap on Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Work like you don't need the money;
Love like you've never been hurt;
Dance like nobody's watching.