How long?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SleepyJill

How long?

Post by SleepyJill » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:02 pm

Some questions as I am new:
How old are you (if you don't mind sharing)
How long have you had sleep apnea?
When were you actually diagnosed?
How long have you been using CPAP?
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea?

To answer my own questions...
I am 34 years old.
I think I have had sleep apnea for a LONG time. I remember as a kid when I shared a room with my sister having her complain about my snoring, and my roommate in college and later my husband have said the same thing. For me, it seems like it was especially bad when I was pregnant (particularly the last trimester) both times.
I was just diagnosed with it last month (June).
Tonight will be night 4 of CPAP, and I am on a pressure of 6.
For me, I think part of it is facial/jaw structure as my jaw is inward vs. protruding, and I think the weight I have gained in the last 10 years or so has worsened it.

Tired mom of 2 sweet little redheads:
Matthew age 4
Michelle age 23 months

stanta

Re: How long?

Post by stanta » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:18 pm

How old are you (if you don't mind sharing): 49 (and single for you ladies:lol:[pays to advertise they say])

How long have you had sleep apnea? Seems like since birth, but probably in my teens. By my early 20's I couldn't drive for more than an hour and a half without falling asleep.

When were you actually diagnosed? about 10-12 yeats ago, couldn't handle the mask then so I got RotoRooted instead.

How long have you been using CPAP? 5 Years after the headaches after sleeping got to severe while working a rotating shift.

What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea? Heredity, I think Dad has it but he has managed to survive to the age of 85 without treatment. I am not taking any chances. I do carry extra pounds but I was affected long before those came on.

always a hosehead, almost a hoser.

arthuranxious

Post by arthuranxious » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:35 pm

50+, only sign of it was sweating around the neck which started after a bad car accident with whiplash etc. in 1990, never really snored (sleep study reported intermittent soft snoring). Diagnosed when pulmonolgist looking for problems which could explain why no treatment helped sub-clinical asthma... and he saw the structur of my throat and announced "You have sleep apnea, or rather I am 80% sure you have sleep apnea."
Now I think that I may have always been tired, but didn't know what it was thought it was normal.
Survived anyway, both after treatment and before diagnosis... In my dreams I will lose weight and be back to my svelte 20 year old body and then this will also clear up, but who knows. I hope I didn't damage my heart by heaving untreated unsuspected OSA for 16 years

tuna

Post by tuna » Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:56 pm

SleepyJill wrote:Some questions as I am new:
How old are you (if you don't mind sharing)
How long have you had sleep apnea?
When were you actually diagnosed?
How long have you been using CPAP?
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea?
41 Years aged!

At least 2 years. I would wake up in panic, with racing heart and having trouble catching breath. But the last year my energy level dropped a bunch!

Diagnosed late May 2007.

Became a hosehead June 1st 2007.

A bigger belly. Bet now the weight is coming off!

HOSEHEADS of America: Striving for that long lost good nights sleep!

Shari

Post by Shari » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:25 pm

How old are you (if you don't mind sharing) 41 years old
How long have you had sleep apnea? As long as I can remember - snorted and snored as a child
When were you actually diagnosed? 18 months ago
How long have you been using CPAP? 18 months
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea? Weight, I am severely over weight plus a family history of apnea

Sergey45

Post by Sergey45 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:00 am

How old are you (if you don't mind sharing) 46
How long have you had sleep apnea? Applying all my knowledge about SA back in time I would say I have started experiencing some symptoms episodically when I was 20-21
When were you actually diagnosed? February 2006
How long have you been using CPAP? Since March 2006
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea? I don’t know. I was extremely skinny in my 20th, gained some body fat in my 30th , gained a lot of body fat in my 40th.

sirrom

Post by sirrom » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:32 am

I am 41 years old.

I have had OSA since my late teens early 20's.

I was diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago thanks to my wife.

I began treatment 2 1/2 years ago.

I believe my OSA is hereditary. Growing up my Dad always snored loudly and erratically but was never diagnosed. I also am about 30 pounds overweight so I am sure that doesn't help but even if I lost the weight I think I would still have apnea.

topher

how long

Post by topher » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:35 am

I'm a 42 year old male

Now that I have ben on this forum started in my early 20s

diagnosed on feb17th2007

started cpap on feb 20th 2007 with 17cm

quit smoking on july 7th 2000 then gained 140+ pounds over the next 4 years that made it worse

CHRIS

abysmillard

Post by abysmillard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:48 am

How old are you (if you don't mind sharing) 57
How long have you had sleep apnea? I think forever. I was the kid who fell asleep in class in elementary school. I never got invited to sleep over twice because I was such a noisy sleeper. Through most of my adult life I've been the sleepy one
When were you actually diagnosed? January 2007. I have long suspected that I needed to be treated for this but have procrastinated, partly because I was afraid of the effect a CPAP would have on my partner. Turns out that my partner loves my CPAP because it keeps me quiet!
How long have you been using CPAP? February 2007.
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea? Really bad allergies as a kid. Living on a cattle ranch where I was allergic to almost everything. Haven't really been overweight until the last 2 years.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:58 am

Too old to rock’n’roll and too young to die … actually, at 47 I still rock but I'm sure that I'm too old for something

Don’t really know how long I have had OSA but I discovered I was a champion snorer in my early 20’s … my OSA symptoms didn’t crop up until my 40’s

I was diagnosed a year ago this month but I began searching for the cause of my tired and achy body about 5 or 6 years ago

Started August 1st 2006 and have only missed one night since … had instant results and there is no turning back for me

Who knows what has caused it … it’s a very complex condition. (1) I’m pretty sure my dad had it; (2) I became less physically active in my mid-30’s and begin to put on weight; (3) until just 3 or 4 years ago, I had a very poor diet rich in saturated fats and refined carbohydrates; (4) although I still rock’n’roll I am getting older; and (5) I lived my youth in the fast lane … all have likely contributed to my condition but what do I know?
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

JeffH

Post by JeffH » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 am

How old are you 51
How long have you had sleep apnea? Who knows?
When were you actually diagnosed Around 1998.
How long have you been using. Ever since diagnosed
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea My Dad had it for sure. I remember as a kid my mother talking about my Dad stopping breathing in his sleep. No one knew what that was back then.

BarbarainCT

Post by BarbarainCT » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:17 am

I am 64. I was diagnosed in February 2007 although I probably had it for several years before that. It took a month after diagnosis to receive my basic machine. The anatomy of my nose was probably most contributory. I have a very small nose and couple that with allergies and the aging process tipped the scale to OSA. In retrospect, my father must have had it too.

I kept getting more and more tired and taking longer and longer naps. My husband began noticing that I was snoring and snorting and had me suggest the possibility to my doctor.

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:20 am

I think forever
Early April 2006
Since end of July 2006 when I got equip. 100% compliant.
Was told my soft palate colapses and allows tongue to fall into throat. I'm 5'6" and stay between 125 and 130 lbs.

Brenda

ZZZCPAPZZZ

Post by ZZZCPAPZZZ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:31 am

Since at least 1991
Late May 2007
June 5 2007

Fairly sure my excess weight has a lot to do with it but was much thiner when it started, so I'm not sure how much. I only know now that I had it since 1991 because of forum like this.

chas

Post by chas » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:35 am

How old are you (if you don't mind sharing) 41 yo
How long have you had sleep apnea? Probably 20 yrs When were you actually diagnosed? 6 wks ago
How long have you been using CPAP? 6 wks, started at pressure of 10 but have lowered it to 6 due to aerophagia.
What do you think are some contributing causes to your particular case of sleep apnea? Genetics. My dad, his father, both aunts, my brother, are all big snorers. Mine has nothing to due with weight (I'm 6' and 170lbs). I have a large uvula and still have my tonsils. I've had sinus surgery twice over the last 10 years and have done allergy shots trying to get relief from headaches and now believe it was apnea related.[/b]