Travel to Greece

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Spiritus

Travel to Greece

Post by Spiritus » Wed May 30, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi,

I have a Spirit Autoset, and I'm going to be traveling to Greece shortly. How do I deal with the electrical current?

Rob

billingreece

Travel to Greece

Post by billingreece » Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 pm

Mains voltage in Greece is 220v, but many hotels etc have 110v shaver sockets.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Wed May 30, 2007 3:10 pm

you do not have to worry about the current
there is auto converter

What you have to prepare is to get a universal plug to connect yr CPAP to the electrical outlet in other countries

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation

oceanpearl

Post by oceanpearl » Wed May 30, 2007 4:48 pm

We just visited 7 countries in Europe and found that we ended up needing 3 different adaptors. We found that most good hotels there have adaptors to loan.
DO NOT USE THE ELECTRIC SHAVER OUTLET!! I tried this the first night and blew a breaker. It will run a battery charger for your camera or cell phone. We took almost 1500 photos and had to charge 3 camera batteries every night. Thank God that my wife was taking a fluid pill every evening.
Definitely take a letter of medical necessity from your sleep doctor or the CPAP might count against your carry on. Degaulle in Paris is the only place that I had to show the letter.

I just want to go back to sleep!

Ergin

Post by Ergin » Thu May 31, 2007 3:38 am

oceanpearl wrote:We just visited 7 countries in Europe and found that we ended up needing 3 different adaptors.
I know England and West Europe have different plugs, but I don't know a third type. Which country was it?

billbolton

Post by billbolton » Thu May 31, 2007 5:41 pm

Ergin wrote:
oceanpearl wrote:We just visited 7 countries in Europe and found that we ended up needing 3 different adaptors.
I know England and West Europe have different plugs, but I don't know a third type. Which country was it?
There is a standardised 2 pin Euro plug that will work on most electrical system on mainland Europe, but there are differences between the national plug standards, particularly in terms of how the safety ground protection is implemented, so some adapters, particularly the el cheapo ones, will not work in some sockets in some places due to those differences.

There are adapters that will work everywhere in Europe (in fact pretty much anywhere in the world) ....

http://www.swisstravelproducts.com/inde ... ageID=1632

http://www.mobileplanet.com/p.aspx?i=117159

... this particular adapter really does works everwhere in Europe, as I have carried one for some time and have used it! It is widely available at a range of prices from travel goods suppliers, and is in many airline on-board duty free catalogues.

Cheers,

Bill B.