Since Encore Pro 1.8 is no longer available...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Thu May 10, 2007 4:50 am

The old download version (1.5i) is still floating
around in cyberspace. It used to be found here:
http://s17.quicksharing.com/v/4463313/E ... XP2000.exe

1) It will not work with "M" models.
2) It will not work with Vista.
3) It is a large "exe" file (106MB). Therefore, you need a broadband connection, and, maybe access to your firewall controls.
4) You must find the install instructions on your own.
5) PC skills may be required.
6) Cardreader not included.
7) There is NO software support.

People have more fun than anybody..

blarg

Post by blarg » Thu May 10, 2007 4:09 pm

You forgot #8.

8. Downloading this file without having purchased a legal copy of Encore Pro 1.5i is illegal.

I'm a programmer Jim, not a doctor!

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu May 10, 2007 6:51 pm

blarg wrote:You forgot #8.

8. Downloading this file without having purchased a legal copy of Encore Pro 1.5i is illegal.
Not completely sure, but I think Respironics used to provide 1.5i as a free download ... so it may not be illegal.

Perhaps an elder member may correct me on this ...

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman » Thu May 10, 2007 7:28 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
blarg wrote:You forgot #8.

Not completely sure, but I think Respironics used to provide 1.5i as a free download ... so it may not be illegal.

Perhaps an elder member may correct me on this ...
The 1.5 version was developed for the Bi-PAP Auto which came out in 2005. One of our forum members just happened to find the link to their download site (which also had a number of other downloads and patches for earlier versions)......and there were no logins or passwords necessary.
Coincidentally, at about the same time, Respironics was also developing their "new and improved" website. They eventually moved the downloads and put them under restrictions.
In my mind, a couple of things probably happened. They probably knew that the downloading was going on but didn't take more stringent measures until they could get the new website up and running. The downloads were SUPPOSED to be for the DMEs and RTs, etc., but there was at least one of the forum members that claimed to have contacted Respironics and told them that their "back door" was wide open.
It was also becoming a very heavily discussed subject, so if Respironics happened to check the forum at various times, they couldn't have missed it.

Anyway, that's what I remember about it.

Wulfman ("elder member"?)

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

ablong

Encore Pro 1.8i

Post by ablong » Thu May 10, 2007 8:03 pm

This is just to let you know how I feel about the
restrictions.

I am in this cpap thing for one reason

Just stay alive!!!!!!

So all of you software types dont be concerned for the legal or

ilegal use of a software pkg.

thanks Ablong

bgalb

Software

Post by bgalb » Thu May 10, 2007 10:09 pm

ablong,

I am with you. If I feel that I need it for health purposes and can't get it because of some arbitrary restriction by the manufacturer on WHOM it can be sold to, then I WILL get it. I purchased the ResMed software I need, but could get it if necessary some other way. I have yet to find any software title that cannot be found if you look in the right places.

Having said that, I do purchase all my software legally. But would have no qualms on getting it any which way I can if it was medically necessary (in my opinion).

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): resmed

blowfish

Post by blowfish » Thu May 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Last edited by blowfish on Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy_J

Post by Sammy_J » Fri May 11, 2007 1:02 am

i think if worse comes to worse, somebody just has to host the software on any of the P2P sites. this software is definitely justifiable to be posted online because it helps the patient, especially if the patient has no other means of obtaining it legally or otherwise.

bones1000

Post by bones1000 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:56 am

Never even thought about putting it on limewire

Sammy_J

Post by Sammy_J » Fri May 11, 2007 3:03 pm

Encore Pro v1.8i is not even available on Ebay.

cpapernewbie

Post by cpapernewbie » Fri May 11, 2007 3:37 pm

"Encore Pro v1.8i is not even available on Ebay. "

Sammy
when you use "encore pro 1.8i" for searching - you will get 3, 2 completed, 1 still on

Additional Comments: CPAP history: dumb tank, auto, PR M, PR System 1, PR BIPAP, PR System 1 model 60, Resmed S9, Resmed S10, Dreamstation

SleepFitness

Post by SleepFitness » Fri May 11, 2007 4:21 pm

Hmmm... First impressions:

1) xPAP medical devices are regulated by the FDA and require a perscription correct?
If that's really the case (and not just a random disclaimer in the Respironics owners manual)... how can CPAP.com even stay in business? I've only bought accessories from them, but I have to wonder just how anyone buys a machine from them without faxing over a perscription from their doc.
Result? Non-enforcement = status quo. I think buying/selling/trading any cpap software is most likely un-enforceable by the FDA even if they were to claim their oversight extends beyond the actual hardware of a CPAP.

2) Encore Pro is a copyright program created by Respironics. Whether the software is offered for sale to Doctors, DME's, patients is unimportant. If a software manufacturer refuses to sell software in China, they STILL retain the rights to that software and can sue pirates in China for dupping a legit copy. Likewise, any collusion to market or distribute illegal "backup copies" without paying royalties to the maker, or without their permission (as in this case) can actually be CRIMINAL activity prosecuatable as racketeering.

I have a copy of Encore Pro v1.8i that I recieved the very day Respironics cut off the public sales... but I honestly can't say I'd be happy to give FREE copies out after paying $100 for it myself... regarless of the legal / ethical implications of piracy. Just not worth it IMO.

Best option? Find a CompSci geek who wants to make a few bucks and have him pull a data set off a smartcard using the Mako Technologies reader and Respironics driver (which, as a driver, may not be covered by copyright... but you'd have to ask a lawyer for sure). He can either market his own software to the public, or he can just go open-source and bit torrent it to death.

What is for sure? The copy scheme being batted around here is clearly illegal... don't do it.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 11, 2007 4:29 pm

SleepFitness wrote:Hmmm... First impressions:

1) xPAP medical devices are regulated by the FDA and require a perscription correct?
If that's really the case (and not just a random disclaimer in the Respironics owners manual)... how can CPAP.com even stay in business? I've only bought accessories from them, but I have to wonder just how anyone buys a machine from them without faxing over a perscription from their doc.
Result? Non-enforcement = status quo. I think buying/selling/trading any cpap software is most likely un-enforceable by the FDA even if they were to claim their oversight extends beyond the actual hardware of a CPAP.

2) Encore Pro is a copyright program created by Respironics. Whether the software is offered for sale to Doctors, DME's, patients is unimportant. If a software manufacturer refuses to sell software in China, they STILL retain the rights to that software and can sue pirates in China for dupping a legit copy. Likewise, any collusion to market or distribute illegal "backup copies" without paying royalties to the maker, or without their permission (as in this case) can actually be CRIMINAL activity prosecuatable as racketeering.

I have a copy of Encore Pro v1.8i that I recieved the very day Respironics cut off the public sales... but I honestly can't say I'd be happy to give FREE copies out after paying $100 for it myself... regarless of the legal / ethical implications of piracy. Just not worth it IMO.

Best option? Find a CompSci geek who wants to make a few bucks and have him pull a data set off a smartcard using the Mako Technologies reader and Respironics driver (which, as a driver, may not be covered by copyright... but you'd have to ask a lawyer for sure). He can either market his own software to the public, or he can just go open-source and bit torrent it to death.

What is for sure? The copy scheme being batted around here is clearly illegal... don't do it.
1) Wrong! ... CPAP.COM DOES require an Rx.

2) No argument with number two

President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

SleepFitness

Post by SleepFitness » Fri May 11, 2007 4:56 pm

DreamStalker wrote:
Ahhh... I see, that must only be for the machines themselves. I bought v1.8i (and damn near every other accessory available ) from them without a perscription so I imagine the FDA-enforcement issue is a moot point then. They must consider the software an "accessory" and not covered by the FDA's prescription regulations.

Good to know.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Fri May 11, 2007 5:01 pm

SleepFitness wrote:
DreamStalker wrote:
Ahhh... I see, that must only be for the machines themselves. I bought v1.8i (and damn near every other accessory available ) from them without a perscription so I imagine the FDA-enforcement issue is a moot point then. They must consider the software an "accessory" and not covered by the FDA's prescription regulations.

Good to know.
Yep ... now you got it!