Why not on floor?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
User avatar
roster
Posts: 8153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Why not on floor?

Post by roster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:21 pm

Someone told me their DME said not to put the cpap on the floor when in use, but gave no reasons.

Why would the DME say this?


User avatar
bdp522
Posts: 3378
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:13 pm

Post by bdp522 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:27 pm

My DME said the same. He said it was because the floor collects most of the dust, dirt, and fuzzies that float around in the air. I just be sure to keep the floor clean in my bedroom.

Brenda


_________________
Humidifier: S9™ Series H5i™ Heated Humidifier with Climate Control
Additional Comments: Love my papillow, Aussie heated hose and PAD-A-CHEEKS! Also use Optilife, UMFF(with PADACHEEK gasket), and Headrest masks Pressure; 10.5

User avatar
Offerocker
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: ...I forget...

Post by Offerocker » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Rooster:

If you have a strong box, or small stool, that would suffice.
Also, keep the 'intake' away from curtains, etc. ...just a guess there.

If you have hardwood floors and keep that "under the bed" area free of dust bunnies, I wouldn't have any problems keeping mine there - except I'd probably trip over it!

_________________
Humidifier: HC150 Heated Humidifier With Hose, 2 Chambers and Stand
Additional Comments: Comfort Sleeve
Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

User avatar
roster
Posts: 8153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Post by roster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks Offerocker and Brenda, your answers make sense; don't want those dust bunnies stuck on the intake filter.

Just by good coincidence, my wife kept a white wicker bed tray as decoration on our bed. It is about 12 inches tall and I found it was perfect to place on the floor for my machine to rest on at night.

User avatar
Liam1965
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Liam1965 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:54 pm

Just a quick note, however: If you give up on CPAP therapy and find that the machine makes a pretty good doorstop, then you SHOULD place it on the floor, because any higher up and it's likely to fall off if you try to close the door it's holding open and land on your toe.

Liam, not toe-ing the CPAP company line.


_________________
MachineMask
---
My first book of humor columns is now available at http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php? ... ent=530973

User avatar
roster
Posts: 8153
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:02 pm
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Post by roster » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:37 pm

"A 17 pound gold nugget was found in 1799 by a 12 year old boy, Conrad Reed, in a creek on the Reed farm in North Carolina. The nugget was used as a doorstop for three years." http://www.goldmaps.com/east.html

Reportedly it was sitting on the floor collecting dust bunnies.

Guest

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:43 pm

If the room is kept clean I really don't see a problem with machine being on the floor. I have mine on the floor and have no problems. If one usees the intake filters I just don't see a problem with it.


TGregg
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:46 pm

Post by TGregg » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:50 am

There's no question that one will find a much higher concentration of pollen, dander and other allergens and microparticles on the floor, many of which pass easily through the macro filters on our machines. Especially if you have carpeting.

If you do decide to put it on the floor, consider a sheet or towel or something else underneath. You can wash the sheet occasionally to limit the particles.

snoregirl
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:36 pm

Post by snoregirl » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:40 pm

I put mine on an acryllic cutting board so it doesn't suck stuff directly off the rug.

User avatar
Offerocker
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:08 pm
Location: ...I forget...

Post by Offerocker » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:46 pm

snoregirl wrote:I put mine on an acryllic cutting board so it doesn't suck stuff directly off the rug.
That's a good idea, snoregirl.

Although the acryllic will sort of attract dust bunnies, it should also hold them. That electrostatic thing going on.

_________________
Humidifier: HC150 Heated Humidifier With Hose, 2 Chambers and Stand
Additional Comments: Comfort Sleeve
Respironics Auto C-Flex, HC-150, Activa, CL2 Simple Cushion, ComfortSleeve, Saline Snorter.

User avatar
Liam1965
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:23 pm
Location: New Hampshire
Contact:

Post by Liam1965 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:03 pm

snoregirl wrote:I put mine on an acryllic cutting board so it doesn't suck stuff directly off the rug.
Plus, it's a lot more convenient for carving when guests show up for the traditional Thanksgiving Roast CPAP dinner.

Liam, trying to figure out which bits of his machine are the "giblets".


_________________
MachineMask
---
My first book of humor columns is now available at http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.php? ... ent=530973

User avatar
dudley_doright
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:53 am
Location: Great White North

I use the monitor stand ....

Post by dudley_doright » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:27 pm

I have an old monitor stand, so I used it to put the CPAP machine. It is now 3" off the floor.


User avatar
Linda3032
Posts: 2255
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:50 pm
Location: Georgia

Post by Linda3032 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:29 pm

And I keep mine in the bottom drawer of my nightstand.

_________________
Machine: DreamStation Auto CPAP Machine
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifier
Additional Comments: Compliant since April 2003. (De-cap-itated Aura).

bethlori
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:37 pm

Post by bethlori » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:43 pm

Liam1965 wrote:
snoregirl wrote:I put mine on an acryllic cutting board so it doesn't suck stuff directly off the rug.
Plus, it's a lot more convenient for carving when guests show up for the traditional Thanksgiving Roast CPAP dinner.

Liam, trying to figure out which bits of his machine are the "giblets".

_________________
Mask

Sleepy-eyes
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: Central Oklahoma

Post by Sleepy-eyes » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Mine is, and always has been (since I couldn't stand the noise) on the floor. My filter always seems to be clean, but I clean it regularly anyway. I see no problem with having it set on the carpet. My carpets are kept clean, so I'm not worried at all about it.

Chris

I'm not a Doctor, nor am I associated with the medical profession in any way. Any comments I make are just personal opinions. Take them or leave them. (justa don't gripe at me if ya donna like 'em!)