Starting soon.... One more question.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bubbles2024

Starting soon.... One more question.

Post by Bubbles2024 » Mon May 27, 2024 6:38 am

About how much time do you spend on daily cleaning and what are musts for daily cleaning? What are some recommendations you have or hacks when it comes to being efficient and minimizing time? Also, I have read to not use hose till dry. When traveling by mc we often leave early in the morning and ride for long hours. If the hose is still wet by leave time will it be okay put back in the bag and my luggage. Can you use a hairdryer to dry them out? Just thinking. I haven't even gotten my machine yet probably will be here tomorrow just trying to plan and trouble shoot and accept that although an adjustment I'm not going to let OSA interfer with my life hold me back or debilitate me. I haven't so far and who knows how long I have had it. Just cause I get a machine and tether at night only means that in the morning I will be free of tethers and ready to take on the day with no restraints. The daytime will be more prescious than ever and the nighttime will just be a new rollercoaster of highs and lows and crap to deal with. Although sleep has always been my escape from the world it has turned salty and I will no longer be able to fully enjoy the escape as now I will be constantly tethered to something bothering me. Sleep used to be where no one and nothing could bother me. Oh well. I guess to try something you must give up something's.

vandownbytheriver

Re: Starting soon.... One more question.

Post by vandownbytheriver » Mon May 27, 2024 7:41 am

I only rinse the hose with very hot water right before use. I do this about once a month. It will dry with use if you sling the water out from both ends. I replace the hose every 6mos. I do not leave the hose wet.

I rinse the tub thoroughly before each night's use. I use tap water for both rinse and cpap. If it goes dry and I notice a mineral deposit I will scrub it out with a toothbrush or use vinegar and toothbrush, rinse thoroughly. I replace the tub every 6mos/1yr.

I wash the mask cushion once a month using facial bar soap and my fingers. Do not wash memory-foam mask cushions.

I replace the machine air filter once a month or whenever I think about it.

Bubbles2024

Post by Bubbles2024 » Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 am

Sounds very time consuming. How long would you say it takes every night or day?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon May 27, 2024 11:40 am

I wash the long hose and the water tank maybe once a year. I use distilled water in the tank and just top it up when it gets low. I wash the nasal interface once a week. I replace the filter in the machine once a month.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Mon May 27, 2024 1:59 pm

Bubbles2024 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 10:03 am
Sounds very time consuming. How long would you say it takes every night or day?
The monthly things are not much... 5min to rinse and sling the hose, 5min to wash the cushion. Averaged over a day that's 20sec/day.

To rinse and fill the tub takes 2min. I do that every night. Not sure what your concern is, the thing just works, push the button and sleep. Travel is a bit more involved, I carry the case on and don't let it out of my sight. Use bottled water at the destination, again don't care about distilled.

Don't stress on CPAP, it's no big deal. You'll get into the routine soon enough.

Bubbles2024

Post by Bubbles2024 » Mon May 27, 2024 3:14 pm

I just have seen people say CPAPs are a lot of work and they are time consuming and what not. I am a get out of bed shower, throw on foundation and let hair dry on the way to work kind of gal. Same at night brush teeth, wash foundation off go to bed. When I think about having to tend to all the CPAP stuff take stuff apart and put back together it just seems to consuming. I like your time break down though. Doesn't sound bad at all.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon May 27, 2024 6:23 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 11:40 am
I wash the long hose and the water tank maybe once a year. I use distilled water in the tank and just top it up when it gets low. I wash the nasal interface once a week. I replace the filter in the machine once a month.
This!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed May 29, 2024 2:49 pm

I *never* wash my hose.
I wash my tank and nasal cushion every week or so, in hot soapy water.
I use tap water and don't get any mineral build up.

I'm on my second hose in six years. I dropped and broke the first one.
I'm on my second tank in 6 years. The original is still good, but the mask connector is a little loose.
My cushions (P30i) last longer than a year.
My masks (P30i) last longer than two years.

Cleaning rituals are a matter of personal comfort level.

Members here, who not as rigorous at cleaning, simply aren't reporting more incidents of colds, flues, infections or other health problems.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu May 30, 2024 6:46 am

I think most folks "over-clean" at first, then settle in on a routine that fits their lifestyle. I don't use a humidifier, so I don't have to mess with moisture. As far as the mask, I wipe it down with a baby wipe (Pamper Sensitive skin wipe) in the morning, then I let air dry. Then I'm done.

Sheriff

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri May 31, 2024 11:14 am

Exactly, Sheriff.
I did the daily thing until I noticed it was really hard on the stuff I was cleaning.
My stuff lasts a lot longer now.
The DME is none too happy, but I am fresh out of effs for them.