Tongue Stabilizing Device (TSD) for Mouth Puffing?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Unkikonki

Tongue Stabilizing Device (TSD) for Mouth Puffing?

Post by Unkikonki » Sun May 26, 2024 3:43 pm

Hi there,

Mouth puffing is ruining my therapy to the point where I sometimes can't sleep at all since getting my cheeks filled with air wakes me up immediately or prevents me from falling asleep.

I tried a full-face mask to no avail. In fact, using a FFM made me notice that I don't even open my mouth at all when mouth puffing, so the mask type, mouth taping and chin straps don't make any difference at all.

I could try reducing the pressure but honestly the current settings were proving very effective. In fact, I felt I was close to finding the perfect settings considering how well I was feeling when I managed to get good sleep.

I'm aware of tongue repositioning training where you stick your tongue against your palate and use suction to keep it in place. I'll try that. However, since this takes time, I need a more immediate solution. Would a Tongue Stabilizing Device do the trick? It wouldn't keep my tongue up against my palate but pulled forward. Do you think that should still prevent air from filling up my cheeks? Has anyone tried this?

vandownbytheriver

Re: Tongue Stabilizing Device (TSD) for Mouth Puffing?

Post by vandownbytheriver » Sun May 26, 2024 10:52 pm

I bought this, painful and a waste of money.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Snoring-Dev ... B0D1R1CW54

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue May 28, 2024 5:18 am

In conjunction with training your tongue to achieve a suction seal on the roof of your mouth, if you are able to side sleep, sleep on the edge of your pillow. Usually that causes it compress a bit and the front of your face will tilt slightly downward. This allows gravity to work for you in keeping your tongue forward. I've not used the tongue device. Would think it could keep your tongue out of the airway but wonder if it would interfere with getting a seal, which is needed for your issue of air in the mouth. Good luck with things.

breathturn

Post by breathturn » Tue May 28, 2024 5:37 am

I tried a quick test with the TSD I have and FFM. It doesn't seem super great -- either you have a proper seal with your mouth+TSD like you're supposed to, in which case your cheeks can still puff, or you don't have a proper seal in which case air can escape through your mouth. The latter is fine if you have FFM, but I found that my tongue pushes against the mask, and is just not very comfortable in general.