Gasping when nodding off

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
swissmix

Gasping when nodding off

Post by swissmix » Wed May 22, 2024 9:47 pm

I've been using a CPAP for 10 years, and for the last two years, I've been using an Aircurve 10 BiPAP. I've always had trouble gasping for air right before I fall asleep, and it happens several times, more than 10 times every night. Once I'm asleep, I'm good for the most part. I'm writing here because the gasping has gotten much worse over the past few months, and I am frustrated. If anyone can help me adjust my settings, I would be very grateful. I have attached all of the data and graphs from my daily view on OSCAR. Thank you.

Julie

Re: Gasping when nodding off

Post by Julie » Thu May 23, 2024 6:41 am

You need to see your MD - the increase in gasping might not be Cpap related and you should find out what's going on.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Thu May 23, 2024 7:13 am

When I had a similar problem, my turning off my ramp feature in order to make sure that I had full treatment pressure right from the start helped solve my gasping and sleep-initiation troubles.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Thu May 23, 2024 8:51 am

swissmix wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:47 pm
I have attached all of the data and graphs from my daily view on OSCAR. Thank you.
It is not uncommon to pop a CA on drifting off... what you describe is much worse, like torture. As Lazarus noted, you may have Ramp enabled, where you attempt to go to sleep not under therapy. Once I acclimated I wanted no ramp feature, perhaps not everyone is like that.

We see no attachments... they are not working here now, disk space is scarce. Best for sharing is SleepHQ, a free website, you can share a link to a night that we can view in hi-res. Otherwise you can share using Imgur or Google Drive.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 23, 2024 4:15 pm

swissmix wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 9:47 pm
I have attached all of the data and graphs from my daily view on OSCAR.
Please post those charts. A simple adjustment might resolve the problem.

It's actually easier to post links to SleepHQ - see "free account" in my signature. Keep using OSCAR for your personal analysis.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."