Do I need a new sleep study?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
leam

Do I need a new sleep study?

Post by leam » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:49 pm

My last one was about five years ago, and things haven't really changed. My CPAP died, but we've moved halfway across the country. Is there any issue with getting my old prescription from the previous doctor and getting another CPAP? Do I even really need a prescription?

Pugsy

Re: Do I need a new sleep study?

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:48 pm

If you live in the USA and want your insurance to pay for a new machine then you will need a RX.
A RX from your doctor should be sufficient though....ask your insurance company if you are wanting them to pay their share.

Normally a new sleep study isn't needed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:41 pm

leam wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:49 pm
My last one was about five years ago, and things haven't really changed. My CPAP died, but we've moved halfway across the country. Is there any issue with getting my old prescription from the previous doctor and getting another CPAP? Do I even really need a prescription?
Yes, unfortunately you have to have a prescription. Send it to cpap dot com and they'll honor it for life.

Sounds like you have mild to moderate OSA... your machine has died and you're not clawing the walls like I would. Maybe a new split-night study is warranted then... I'll never go back for one, the last one was torture and unnecessary... my insurance does not require them, strictly between my doctor and me. If you do go for one request Ambien, wish I had.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:07 pm

leam wrote:
My last one was about five years ago, and things haven't really changed. My CPAP died, but we've moved halfway across the country.
This is exactly why anyone using a cpap should have a spare.
And a spare of everything needed to make it work.
leam wrote:
Is there any issue with getting my old prescription from the previous doctor and getting another CPAP? Do I even really need a prescription?
I always suggest people get a copy of their sleep study right after it is completed.
And then a copy the prescription.

I'm surprised you didn't get those items before moving.

Some of the mail order places will contact your doc to get what they need.
https://www.cpap.com/ has a form you can fill out if you are not using insurance.

IF you are using insurance try
https://aeroflowsleep.com/
or
https://adapthealth.com/company-verushealthcare/
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

leam

Post by leam » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:56 am

Hey all, just a follow up and a "Thank you!". I got my GP to send CPAP.com a prescription, and got the new machine ordered before 4PM. It was at my house the next day! Sleeping better already, and my wife is getting better sleep too. :lol:

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 am

leam wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:56 am
Hey all, just a follow up and a "Thank you!". I got my GP to send CPAP.com a prescription, and got the new machine ordered before 4PM. It was at my house the next day! Sleeping better already, and my wife is getting better sleep too. :lol:
Hooray! What machine did you get? Did you remember your old settings?

Some folks worry about how their spouse will tolerate your therapy... I have horror stories of folks *kept awake* by spouses non-compliance/snoring etc... CPAP is a boon to *both* as you noted.

leam

Post by leam » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:45 pm

vandownbytheriver wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:08 am
leam wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:56 am
Hooray! What machine did you get? Did you remember your old settings?

Some folks worry about how their spouse will tolerate your therapy... I have horror stories of folks *kept awake* by spouses non-compliance/snoring etc... CPAP is a boon to *both* as you noted.
Same as you, the Airsense 10 Auto with default 4-20. I don't recall the old stuff, and seem to wind up at 12 point something by the morning. No idea what that means, but I'm enjoying the quiet.

vandownbytheriver

Post by vandownbytheriver » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:35 pm

leam wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:45 pm
Same as you, the Airsense 10 Auto with default 4-20. I don't recall the old stuff, and seem to wind up at 12 point something by the morning. No idea what that means, but I'm enjoying the quiet.
You probably would do better to narrow your range... letting the machine hunt is not a good long-term strategy... starting at 4 then waiting to have problems means you're not getting therapy until flow limitations happen. I'm on 15-20 EPR1 and I see max 16.5 most nights.... going in for a professional titration the 19th... for bi-level too... we'll see what the pro's say.

Big fan of that machine... own two of them... a workhorse of the industry. Plus... hackable. You got a good'ern.