Dry mouth nosemask vs. FF mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Miikken

Dry mouth nosemask vs. FF mask

Post by Miikken » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:48 am

Hello all
I wear a nosemask and am moderately bothered with a dry mouth. The advice seems to be to change to ff mask. I would like to get an idea about how many have been helped doing that.
Grateful to hear from you, whether it helped or not

Miss Emerita

Re: Dry mouth nosemask vs. FF mask

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:12 pm

Welcome! Your mouth is probably dry because you're opening it during the night. For some people, this is equally a problem using a full-face mask. A couple of other ideas for you to try:

Xylimelts, which are small disks that stick to your teeth or gums and promote salivation.

A chin strap (e.g., the Knightsbridge strap) or soft cervical collar to keep your jaw up.

Placement of your tongue: Try putting the tip of your tongue behind your upper front teeth. Then position the main part of your tongue up against your upper palate. Finally, give a little suck or swallow to create a bit of suction. You should now be able to open your mouth while breathing entirely through your nose. Practice this during the day, and see if you can get it grooved in deeply enough to help while you are asleep at night. For some people, this is really all it takes to avoid mouth leaks.

Tape, perhaps trying at first by using Somnifix strips.

Strap, tongue, tape -- these will work only if you're able to breathe through your nose.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Ebonyeyez

Re: Dry mouth nosemask vs. FF mask

Post by Ebonyeyez » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:14 pm

Miikken wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:48 am
Hello all
I wear a nosemask and am moderately bothered with a dry mouth. The advice seems to be to change to ff mask. I would like to get an idea about how many have been helped doing that.
Grateful to hear from you, whether it helped or not

I was issued a nasal pillow then later nasal masks with the use of a chin strap. I tried three nasal masks, the last, the Evora nasal was the most disastrous for me. Resmed’s nasal pillows were the 2nd worst for me. At the hospital sleep clinic, the nurse practitioner and respiratory therapist both agreed that I should try a full face mask. Haven’t researched what was available and taking some reviews into account, I requested the Evora, Resmed F30 or F30i hybrid full face masks. The respiratory therapist did not have them in stock but she tried to push the Dreamwear or Dreamweave full face mask on me. I refused. I ended up ordering and paying out of pocket for the F30i, and I haven’t looked back since. Each person’s cpap journey is unique to them.