New User: Cleaning CPAP Machine Humidifier Reservoir

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: New User: Cleaning CPAP Machine Humidifier Reservoir

Post by palerider » Wed May 03, 2017 11:09 am

Phylliseshadetreerace@gmail.com wrote:I bought a resmed s9 from someone off Craigslist and when I turn it on it smells like cigar, it works good but how can I get rid of the smell. I've already changed the filter
you may need to disassemble the unit and soak the internal silicone in oxyclean, baking soda solutions, possibly boil in baking soda, and run them through your dishwasher, repeatedly.

http://imgur.com/a/S0ojG

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 pm

A couple of posts in this thread imply that the use of distilled water will prevent algae and bacterial growth. This is not the case. Distilled water no safer than tap water in this regard. Distilled water is pure water with no dissolved minerals but bacteria and algae are just as happy with it as they are with tap water. Perhaps more so as tap water is chlorinated.

StoneyStu

Post by StoneyStu » Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:55 pm

My wife uses a Res Med S9. I maintain it for her. I relate to the individual that talked about pink algae in the reservoir. I use distilled water in it. Vinegar and baking soda to clean. This time it didn’t touch it. So had read in another article about bleach. Decided to give it a try. Emptied the vinegar and baking soda out as i wasn’t sure how the bleach might react. Just a small amount and the rest water. Voila! Pink algae gone. Ive decided as one individual suggested is to change the distilled water source. I’m also going to clean all parts weekly. This doesn’t need to be said but i will for the newbies, rinse thoroughly afterwards. Don’t think my wifey would enjoy smelling bleach or vinegar or even soap all night long.

StoneyStu

Post by StoneyStu » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:05 pm

Can mold grow in distilled water?

https://www.bustmold.com/resources/abou ... ed%20water.

Look in this article under this question.

Ebonyeyez

Post by Ebonyeyez » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:30 am

bdp522 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:59 am
If you use distilled water in the humidifier you will have no hard water staining or buildup. If you use distilled water only all you will have to do is top off the tank. No need for disinfecting because nothing will grow in there. I believe all the manufacturers recommend distilled water only in the tank.

Brenda
I’ve used nothing but distilled water since I started my cpap journey approximately 1 1/2 years ago. During the first 3-4 months, I’d often just refill my reservoir as needed, only cleaning it sporadically. One day while cleaning the tub with Dawn dish detergent and paper towels, I kept seeing pink/red streaks on the paper towels no matter how frequently I changed the towels. I eventually held my reservoir up to the bathroom light to discover a pinkish/reddish fuzzy growth in the corners of the tank. That frightened me. So that day my reservoir received a vigorous cleaning with vinegar added to the mix, and I came to terms with the fact that I HAD TO establish a frequent and regular routine to clean my equipment. I later learned from discussion on cleaning regiments in the forum and on blog sites that that growth is referred to as pink fungi.

kms

I use REScue One-Step Disinfectant Cleaner & Deodorizer

Post by kms » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:26 am

I use this to clean most of the stuff in my house. Kitchen, bathroom, cat vomit on rugs, CPAP mask, tubing, reservoir, etc.

REScue One-Step Disinfectant Cleaner & Deodorizer, For Veterinary Use, Animal Shelters, Pet Foster Homes, Kennels, Litter Box, Concentrate, 1-Gallon

It’s not a powerful cleaner, but it is a powerful people and pet-safe disinfectant. FDA certified to kill just about anything. A gallon costs ~$60, but as it lasts me about two years it’s actually much less expensive than other options.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:49 pm

Since I switched to distilled water I never empty or clean my reservoir. It never looks bad in any way, so I just pour more of the water in and go about my day.
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system