getting sores on my nose issue

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gabagoo

getting sores on my nose issue

Post by gabagoo » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:06 am

I didn't always get this but lately I have been getting these weird sores on my nose and wondered if the latex or rubber used in the mask causes this. The nasal component doesn't really touch that part of my nose but I suppose when I bury the side of my head in a pillow it could rise up and touch that area. In any case I wipe the head device almost every night with a plain wipe with no scent. Not sure if it is 100% mask related or not. Anyone else experience this?

ChicagoGranny

Re: getting sores on my nose issue

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:25 am

Which place on the nose?

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:27 pm

gabagoo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:06 am
I didn't always get this but lately I have been getting these weird sores on my nose and wondered if the latex or rubber used in the mask causes this. The nasal component doesn't really touch that part of my nose but I suppose when I bury the side of my head in a pillow it could rise up and touch that area. In any case I wipe the head device almost every night with a plain wipe with no scent. Not sure if it is 100% mask related or not. Anyone else experience this?
have you considered lansinoh? it's a lanolin product marketed to nursing mothers to help heal and sooth teeth marks from babies.

works well for me and my nasal pillows. plus it gives a slightly more snug fit.

it's in the infant care section of grocery and drugstores. or at amazon, should you prefer online shopping.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:42 am

gabagoo wrote:
I have that problem, but it is specific to the mask(s) I use. I get different sore spots from my AirFit than I do from the AirTouch.
So I rotate them, changing every 3-5 days, and that solves the problem, for me.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:59 am

gabagoo wrote:
I didn't always get this but lately I have been getting these weird sores on my nose and wondered if the latex or rubber used in the mask causes this.
Typically, mask movement causes sores by rubbing, irritation, etc. Certainly, Lansinoh helps by reducing the friction and also helps to seal. Hopefully, in time the skin in that area will toughen up.

But meanwhile try adjusting your mask for the highest pressure you use BEFORE you go to bed. This certainly has helped me.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:58 am

The obvious question is whether you changed to a new mask? Even a seemingly identical mask might not truly be identical.

Try soaking the part that touches your face (where the sores are) in vinegar before the first (or next) use.

gabagoo

Post by gabagoo » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:59 am

Thanks for all the suggestions...will try them all one at a time and see if it persists. The spot is slightly on the side near the tip.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:27 pm

gabagoo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:59 am
Thanks for all the suggestions...will try them all one at a time and see if it persists. The spot is slightly on the side near the tip.
please come back and tell us what worked, won't you?
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

cpvtnh

Post by cpvtnh » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:36 pm

Pad-a-Cheek!

If pad a cheek makes a cover for your cushion, try that. I had irritation, but started using pad a cheek. Along with the skin improvement, I get far fewer leeks and weirdly a lower AHI since I started using it.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:42 pm

cpvtnh wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:36 pm
Pad-a-Cheek!

If pad a cheek makes a cover for your cushion, try that. I had irritation, but started using pad a cheek. Along with the skin improvement, I get far fewer leeks and weirdly a lower AHI since I started using it.
good catch! i shoulda mentioned that myself.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:00 pm

gabagoo wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:59 am
Also, check the tightness and evenness of the head gear (i.e. "strap"). Too tight, too loose, or unevenness can cause this.

Furthermore, check the relative tightness of the top and bottom That is a potential issue too.

Buddy0329

Post by Buddy0329 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:27 pm

gabagoo wrote:

I was having the same problem with the Philips Wisp which was concerning to me because it was the first CPAP mask that really worked for and let me get my AHI numbers down, was comfortable, and didn't leak. I switched out to the Resmed N20 and the problem went away completely. For me it was something to do with the silicone that Philips was using that was irritating my nose. Good luck.

gabagoo

Post by gabagoo » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:22 am

The last few nights I have put a skin cream on my nose before bed. Seems to work but won't really know for a few weeks...Might get zits from the cream too lol