For those running APAP with a narrow range.....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ozij

Re: For those running APAP with a narrow range.....

Post by ozij » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:19 am

AHI stands for Apnea Hyponea Index

It's a calculation of the average (or mean) number of apnea and hypopneas per hour.

@Lane101: In some of your statements, you seem to be using "AHI" as a synonym for breathing disruptions. It's not.

The index is not in any was a basis for the machine's response, it's the result of the response.

All kinds of breathing disruptions as identified by the machines result in various pressure responses.

You will find very little disagreement here with the statement that better sleep is more important that marginal improvements in your AHI.

For some people the machines' programmed response to events can result in pressure that is too high.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:57 am

Lane101 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:13 am
palerider wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:50 pm
Lane101 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 pm
Your statement above that they "don't care" is just plain wrong.
You don't know as much as you think you do.
Lane101: Thoroughly researched APAP algorithms per above post.
"I read things, I'm an expert".
No, you're not.

But trying to tell you anything is a waste of time, and I've wasted enough time on you.

To everyone else, this individual has no practical experience, just what they've read and do for themselves. Everyone is different, what works for this individual may not work for you, so don't take their yammering as 'good advice' for your journey.

I'll let you have the last word, because that's what makes your life worth living, isn't it?

Last edited by palerider on Thu Nov 23, 2023 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Lane101

Post by Lane101 » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:57 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:57 am
Lane101 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2023 12:13 am
palerider wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:50 pm
Lane101 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:14 pm
Your statement above that they "don't care" is just plain wrong.
You don't know as much as you think you do.
Lane101: Thoroughly researched APAP algorithms per above post.
"I read things, I'm an expert".
Lane101: False quote, I never said this. See my response below. Please stop making things up.
No, you're not.

But trying to tell you anything is a waste of time, and I've wasted enough time on you.

To everyone else, this individual has no practical experience, just what they've read and do for themselves. Everyone is different, what works for this individual may not work for you, so don't take their yammering as 'good advice' for your journey.
Lane101: Another nonsensical statement, you acknowledge that my sleep Dr. approved therapy works for me and then tell everyone it's just yammering and to ignore it.
One more response since you just attributed a fake quote to me that I never posted - shame on you. I stated that I "researched APAP algorithms" per my above posts and even posted a good chunk of the research above. I never stated your false quote that "I read things, so I'm an expert". Please stop making things up.

I just noticed your "foe list" at the bottom of all of your posts and glanced at how you've treated other CPAPTalk members. Did not realize that your abusive posts were a pattern or I would never have responded to you initially. The way your are treating fellow CPAP users on a regular basis is just plane rude and wrong. Palerider "foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff."

Based on your dialogue above it's obvious that when you can't reconcile opinions or are shown to be wrong based on a fact based discussion that, rather then admitting so, you would rather change the subject with made up facts, diversion to nonsensical statements (like your prior post to this one) or in this last case (and with so many others of us per your foe list) change gears and just try to totally unfairly undermine the other party. Again shame on you.

Regarding your last statement above, we are in agreement on one thing, that the approach I've discussed works for me. In my last post I stated "My posts immediately above provide a good example of my sleep Dr. approved APAP therapy that works well for me consistently delivering AHIs below 1.0" I also noted two posts above that "...we should generally be sharing what has worked for us and let our fellow users decide how to use that information to optimize their own therapy." I will continue to share results of my research and 20+ years of CPAP/APAP use and let fellow CPAPTalk members decide how to use the information.

Please keep your word and don't waste any more time on me.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:35 am

If you guys can't get back on topic and cease with the personal crap I will be happy to either lock the thread or simply remove it....depending on just how badly I get pissed off.

This arguing isn't helping anyone.

Take this sort of argument privately or just STFU.

Thank you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Lucky7

Post by Lucky7 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:31 pm

For some people the machines' programmed response to events can result in pressure that is too high
Hard agree, from what I have seen with my own two eyes:

1. Philips is too "lazy" at increasing pressures in response to breathing disturbances. My family members Dreamstation 2 SUCKS.

2. ResMed CAN (emphasize the word CAN) be too aggressive.

3. the machine reported AHI is the residual AHI, ie what is left that the machine didn't treat/flagged (which also isn't always correct heh). The algo's don't use the AHI to adjust pressures.

4. I had a bunch of family medical issues to deal with and lost track of this thread :mrgreen: