alignment of F30 "ports" with nares

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dataq1

Re: alignment of F30 "ports" with nares

Post by dataq1 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:21 pm

@Tyrinryan....
So I tried to assess if there was any silicone that was blocking the nostrils.
Here's what I did: set up the mask per normal and adjusted it on my face till I was getting no leakage at all.
Then I removed the elbow (so that the frame and headgear were still in place), laid back with my head tilted backward and with the assistance of my wife took pictures through the elbow port of my nostrils and the silicone film in the vicinity.

Lo and behold, the silicone partially covered the left side of the nostril and the lower portion of the nostril.

(I'll submit pictures as soon as I can get them from my iphone to imgur)

So, my next step is to increase the size of the current window (or "holes").
I suspect that the original windows were cut with a die, so to avoid any ragged edges, I'll try a paper punch to increase the "window" size where needed.
Now I just need to find a good sharp paper punch.

Thanks for the tip!

BTW, does your F20 touch mask have any upward support for the chin? One of the reasons I like the F432 is that there is a "shelf" for the chin, that effectively suppresses an unconscious opening of the jaw during sleep. It's not like you can't open your jaw, it just a resistance to unintentional opening. The down side of the 432 is that it's tough on the nose bridge, and because the sealing surface is so extensive, it is prone to seal leakage.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:22 am

dataq1 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:21 pm
the silicone partially covered the left side of the nostril and the lower portion of the nostril.
The nostril opening in the mask does not have to be, and actually should not be, as big as the entrance to the nostril. In fact, if the mask opening is as big as the nostril opening, leaks will ensue.

Look at the openings on any models of nasal pillows. They are always smaller than the nostril openings. They are anywhere from one-third to one-half the size of the nostril openings.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:35 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:22 am
The nostril opening in the mask does not have to be, and actually should not be, as big as the entrance to the nostril. In fact, if the mask opening is as big as the nostril opening, leaks will ensue.
Look at the openings on any models of nasal pillows. They are always smaller than the nostril openings. They are anywhere from one-third to one-half the size of the nostril openings.
The F30 is neither a nasal mask nor a nasal pillow.
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:33 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:35 pm
The F30 is neither a nasal mask nor a nasal pillow.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:47 pm

At granny, perhaps you failed to make you point clear.

ozij

Post by ozij » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:19 pm

Ganny was using an analogy. The analogy seems to have confused you.

Before the part you didn't understand,
ChicagoGranny wrote:
The point: Be careful when making the nostril openings larger. They have to seal around your nares.
dataq1 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:21 pm
Lo and behold, the silicone partially covered the left side of the nostril and the lower portion of the nostril.
Do you mean one or both?
It's quite possible that if a person's face is more asymmetrical than the norm, a "neither nasal nor pillows mask" that does not touch the bridge of the nose will not fit them.
The F&P Evora full face has a single opening for both your nostrils, without the middle strip you see in the ResMed.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/f-p-ev ... r-fit-pack
Maybe you will find that one easier to seal and breathe through.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:08 am

ozij wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:19 pm
Granny was using an analogy. The analogy seems to have confused you.
His history of confusion is well known. I tried to keep it simple. It was merely a comparison. An analogy would have definitely been too much.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:32 am

ozij wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:19 pm
Ganny was using an analogy. The analogy seems to have confused you.
and yet Granny says she purposely avoided using an analogy "an analogy would be too much"
The point: Be careful when making the nostril openings larger. They have to seal around your nares.
if that was the point that Granny was trying to make, all she had to do was say exactly what you just said.

And of course I understand that care is required (no confusion there) when making the nostril openings larger.
However a flap of silicone film that obstructs the nostril opening is unhelpful and restricts the free flow of air:

So, a careful removal of that portion of silicone film (outlined in red) is helpful;

Both configurations (before and after "widening the nasal opening") are excellent external seals , the major difference is that the configuration with the larger opening makes it muck easier to inhale while trying to fall asleep.

The answer to my original question about observing the alignment of these "windows" and the nostrils was :
Use a mirror/camera and look through the elbow coupling by tilting the head WAY back.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:39 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:32 am
if that was the point that Granny was trying to make, all she had to do was say exactly what you just said.
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Maybe the word "ensue" threw you.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:50 pm

I know what ensue means.
The opening in my 432 mask is 2.25 inches; significantly larger than the average nostril.

Let go, already.