How do I know when to replace my Airsense 10 Autoset?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Janknitz

How do I know when to replace my Airsense 10 Autoset?

Post by Janknitz » Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:54 pm

I'm getting the "Motor Exceeded" error on my machine, but it still seems to work fine.

How will I know when it's time? Does it self-destruct at some point?

Debating whether to wait until Medicare (1 year and a few months to go) or avoid the hassle and look for good prices, then relegate this one to be my backup machine. I still have my old recalled PRS1 to use for emergencies (if it still works--it's in my wildfire go box).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LSAT

Re: How do I know when to replace my Airsense 10 Autoset?

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:38 pm

Resmed sets that message to pop up at about 21,000 hours. Your machine could go several more months or it could stop tomorrow. There is no way to know.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:34 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:54 pm
I still have my old recalled PRS1 to use for emergencies (if it still works--it's in my wildfire go box).
Test it. I use my backup about once a quarter to make sure it stays in good shape.

Zzz_Jim

Post by Zzz_Jim » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:18 am

I was in the same boat. My S9 was throwing the infamous message, but I kept using it well over a year later. But one night it suddenly started having some sort of a power supply fault (LED blinks on and off), which I figure also keeps me from doing a blower replacement. So I switched back to my backup PRS1, even though it was recalled, and kept using it. But eventually even it got to the point where it's blower won't start anymore, and a replacement turned into a bit of an emergency.

The lesson is get a new machine before your backup machine gives out. (Still - 13 years out of two machines - not too bad!)

So I just got a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (came with a 4G modem) from a semi-local DME, but billing via Nationwide. I did pay them a $50 expedite fee to get it overnight since I was without CPAP. Via my new Medicare and a Plan G supplement insurance. Received it one day after making the call (altough my Doc had greased the skids previously)! The DME did claim I had to go rent-to-own with Medicare, even though I've been using CPAP since 2010 on my old insurance - maybe that's just not having filed the right medicare paperwork - I don't know. I'm only into it less than a month but so far it's been fine. 1 day of non-compliance showing on MyAir since I did some clinical mode real time clock setting. And figuring out how to play with OSCAR software. Hopefully I won't screw up my Medicare compliance data.

I thought a little about getting an Autoset 11, but it's still kind of new and not as easy to get accessories like 12V power adapters, etc, so I went for the 10.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:37 pm

Zzz_Jim wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:18 am
. . .
The DME did claim I had to go rent-to-own with Medicare,
. . .
This is common with cpap machines and Medicare, 13 month "capped rental".
Some advantage plans do perpetual rental for all machines, not just bilevels.
The 13 month thing is so you or your supplement is stuck with TWO deductibles!
I need to do the math before my current machine comes up for replacement.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:32 pm

I must just be a troublemaker.
5 years ago I came across a used Aircurve 10 ASV here, At a reasonable price so I bought it and it is still working.
However I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.
So I came across another used Aircurve 10 ASV here at a reasonable price so I bought it as a replacement for old reliable. UPS says I will receive it Tuesday.

In both cases my cost is less than my 13 copays for a new machine.
Unfortunately it means that I don't get to debate the need for a new sleep study or what brand and level of machine I should receive.
It also means I am not locked into my current Medicare Advantage plan IF I would like to change in 2024. My current plan has already sent my notice of change, with several noticeable reductions in benefits that will affect me.

Aretino

Post by Aretino » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:36 am

When the display says its time for replacement have a backup machine on hand. Its always good to have a backup machine regardless. I have at least six backup machines all still work, some are over 20 years old.