Review of the DreamStation 2 machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Review of the DreamStation 2 machine

Post by D.H. » Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:07 pm

If this was already posted, I apologize. I was not able to find anything on this subject on this forum.

I got a DreamStation 2 as a replacement for my DreamStation 1 about two years ago.
I never noticed an issue with particles or odors, but I stopped using the machine when I heard of the recall, using an old machine from 2005 that I had in storage. I used it for about seven months until the new machine came.
In any case, I really prefer the design of the DreamStation 1. Here are some of the “disimprovements” in my opinion:

1. There is no “pre-heat” feature.
2. The humidifier cannot be detached from the machine. Although I use it all the time, the machine becomes unusable if the tank cracks.
3. The clips where the humidifier tank attaches to the lid look flimsy (both on the tank and the lid). However, I have not heard any issues involving breakage. If it should break, the machine can’t be used!
4. The humidifier tank needs to be completely detached to fill (or empty). You also need to detach the humidifier to inspect or change the filter or access the SD card.
5. The touch screen is awkward and much less user-friendly than the one on the DreamStation 1.

chunkyfrog

Re: Review of the DreamStation 2 machine

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:49 pm

D.H. wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:07 pm
If this was already posted, I apologize. I was not able to find anything on this subject on this forum.

I got a DreamStation 2 as a replacement for my DreamStation 1 about two years ago.
I never noticed an issue with particles or odors, but I stopped using the machine when I heard of the recall, using an old machine from 2005 that I had in storage. I used it for about seven months until the new machine came.
In any case, I really prefer the design of the DreamStation 1. Here are some of the “disimprovements” in my opinion:

1. There is no “pre-heat” feature.
I have hardly ever used that feature on my Resmeds.
2. The humidifier cannot be detached from the machine. Although I use it all the time, the machine becomes unusable if the tank cracks.
This is a common feature across the board--no big deal.
3. The clips where the humidifier tank attaches to the lid look flimsy (both on the tank and the lid). However, I have not heard any issues involving breakage. If it should break, the machine can’t be used!
Most of us get a spare tank--just in case.
4. The humidifier tank needs to be completely detached to fill (or empty). You also need to detach the humidifier to inspect or change the filter or access the SD card.
The assembly sounds problematic, but removing the tank to fill is just good sense.
5. The touch screen is awkward and much less user-friendly than the one on the DreamStation 1.
it has a TOUCH SCREEN!--COOL,

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:51 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 11:49 pm
The humidifier cannot be detached from the machine. Although I use it all the time, the machine becomes unusable if the tank cracks.
This is a common feature across the board--no big deal.
This alarmed me for a second because I use the side covers (humidifier removed) on my ResMed 9 and 10 and was afraid the 11 didn't have one. But, it does - https://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/catalog/p ... KAQAvD_BwE ResMed changed the name to end cap instead of side cover. Wonderful improvement. :lol:

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:23 pm

The only niggles I have about the DS2 as compared to the DS1.......

- For the way the DS2 sits on my nightstand the hose is at the wrong end (front) of the machine (relative to the orientation of the display screen) for the way I use it with an overhead hook at the head of the bed, so I turned it around so the hose exits the 'back' towards the wall. This makes viewing the display upside down (seldom look at it anyhow), but as a plus puts the humidifier, filter, and SD card to the front which makes access much easier than having it on the backside.
- More a Medicare/insurance issue..... the humidifier tank itself is a paid for resupply item, but not its lid/cover.
- Shiny black case of the DS2 shows dust more than the DS1 did which my wife doesn't like.

Thoughts on previous comments....
- Never used or was aware of 'preheat' on my old DS1, so don't miss that.
- Tank has never cracked (two years old now), but have a spare if needed.
- Have not had lid clips break, but have spare just in case (out of pocket $20 Amazon)
- Humidifier tank water is in the bathroom where it gets filled. While it's off for a refill the filter and/or SD card are attended to as needed. DS1 was a bathroom trip to fill also.
- Touch screen is 'touchy' and takes some practice, but works well when you get the hang of it. Time will tell, but the touch screen 'should' be more reliable long term than the switch and digital encoder the DS1 has.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:10 pm

My DW is in the bedroom, where I top off the tank of my Resmed.
The only time the tank sees the bathroom is when it needs washing--
Then I carry it back before it can pick up any toilet cooties.