Using CPAP for 7 years but still have brain fog

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Miss Emerita

Re: Using CPAP for 7 years but still have brain fog

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:02 pm

Good to hear things are starting to look up.

For some people, flow limitations can contribute to unrestful sleep. On the off-chance that you are one of those people, I’d suggest using EPR full-time, and not just on ramp.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:25 am

I noticed your previous mention of RLS. It is common for people with RLS to also have Periodic Limb Movement Disorder, which can cause repeated arousals and affect sleep quality. Has that been ruled out?

Steerpike58

Post by Steerpike58 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:32 am

fijibear wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:50 pm
  • Xyazal 5mg for allergies
  • Breo Ellipta 200-25mcg inhaler for Asthma
  • Olopatadine nasal spray for allergies
  • Fluticasone nasal for allergies
Three different meds for allergies, plus one for Asthma; are you taking all four every day and is your doctor aware of all of them? Are they designed to work in harmony with each other? Overall, you take a lot of meds and I'd be concerned about interactions.

fijibear

Post by fijibear » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:32 pm

Thank you all for reading my update and providing additional suggestions!

Re: depression and anxiety, I definitely have suffered from both at varying times in my life, both before and after the sleep apnea and brain fog developed. I'm generally a positive person, but regular exercise, a good diet, and weekly therapy helps keep both in check.

Re: EPR, I'll try that tonight! How do I know what EPR pressure is right for me?

Re: PLMD, my sleep study only found leg movement, and I've been on Horizant for years now. My most recent test didn't include limb electrodes though, so it's certainly possible that it's still affecting my sleep.

Re: allergy meds, I agree it's a lot of meds. Multiple allergists over the years have been fine with the combinations. I've even had periods where I've been off of all medications (I was hospitalized in 2018 with Diverticulitis) , and the brain fog persisted.

Thanks for your suggestions and for not giving up on me! I'm definitely a weird case.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:18 am

Wouldn't hurt to video your legs overnight and see if there are limb movements and if they fit the identifiers for Periodic Limb Movement Disorder. There can be limb movements seen on a study related to breathing and limb movements unrelated to breathing. A sleep study will say which they are. Those related to breathing should resolve with cpap treatment. The unrelated ones, probably not. If it turns out you think limb movements may be at issue, message me if I miss a reply on here. Don't want to bog you down with a whole lotta info you may not need.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:57 pm

Do click on kteague's video link.
If you wake with the bed or your jammies a-twirl, consider filming yourself.
For some, it's the only way to get your doctor's attention.
Good luck getting better sleep.

Dzyan

Post by Dzyan » Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:32 pm

fijibear wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:57 pm
I'm having a hard time getting a respiratory therapist that is knowledgeable enough to work with me. Does anyone here know if there are masks other than my nasal pillows that would do a better job of moving my tongue out of the way / help me get deeper sleep?
Thanks!
The nose pads didn't work for me and I switched to the ResMed AirTouch™ F20 Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear with open exhalation.
viewtopic/t187124/Fighting-air-leaks-fr ... -hack.html
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=186442&p=1438340&hi ... n#p1438340