Need Help with CPAP Travel Plans

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sleep2Dream

Need Help with CPAP Travel Plans

Post by Sleep2Dream » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:42 pm

I have a Z2 Auto, which I've been pretty happy with overall, but lately I've been finding that I really need some humidification when I sleep with my CPAP (Airset 10). The problem is that the HME device I bought for travel doesn't work with my mask (Airfit N30i), likely because the HME has to be installed at the tube connection, which is at the top of my head and thus pretty far from the mask itself and my exhalations. I thought it might be a good idea to try an old-style mask (meaning one where the tube connects at the front of the face) just for travel. On my last trip, I tried the SleepWeaver cloth nasal mask. The first night, I managed to get a good seal (after loads of tries) and found that the HME really did help. But on subsequent nights, no matter how I tried, I could not repeat the solid seal from the first night and eventually gave up on that mask. Today I went to my DME (where they've never heard of the Z2 Auto or the HME device) to explore options. All they could suggest was the Airsense Mini headgear/mask/tube, but that only works with the Airsense Mini machine, and I don't want to fork over the money for a new CPAP machine that I'll rarely use.

What I'm wondering:
a) Is there a nasal mask with regular tubing that will allow the connection of the HME between the mask and the tube?
b) Does an adapter exist to allow an Airsense Mini tube to be connected to my Z2 machine?
c) Is there a hack I might try to get an Airsense Mini mask and tube to work with my Z2?
d) Or are my options limited to traveling with my regular CPAP (which I really don't want to do), using the Z2 without humidity, or just going without CPAP during my trip?
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto

ChicagoGranny

Re: Need Help with CPAP Travel Plans

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:35 pm

Sleep2Dream wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:42 pm
Does an adapter exist to allow an Airsense Mini tube to be connected to my Z2 machine?
I don't understand your problem exactly, but this adapter may work - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/z1-z2-tube-adapter

Sleep2Dream

Re: Need Help with CPAP Travel Plans

Post by Sleep2Dream » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:16 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:35 pm
Sleep2Dream wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:42 pm
Does an adapter exist to allow an Airsense Mini tube to be connected to my Z2 machine?
I don't understand your problem exactly, but this adapter may work - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/z1-z2-tube-adapter
I have that. It allows a regular hose to be plugged into the z2 Auto.

It won't work with the AirMini hose, because the connection for that is specific to the AirMini connection. I have no problem using my regular mask/hose with the Z2, but I want to find a mask that will allow me to insert a humidity exchange device between the tube and the mask close to the mask, so it can take advantage of the humidity in my exhalations. If that makes any sense.

I am wondering about the FX.
Mask: ResMed N30i Nasal Cushion
Home Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Travel Machine: Z2 Auto