Adapter for overseas travel

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CPAPQs4All

Adapter for overseas travel

Post by CPAPQs4All » Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:30 am

Hi,

I live in Japan and have the Japanese equivalent of ResMed AirSense 10 (called ResMed SleepMate10 when supplied by Teijin over here) which has this adapter/cable.
Judging by the label shown in the photo, and also the label on the bottom of the device, it can handle 100 to 240v, correct?
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Airsense ... B077TWDD5N

Or do I need a power transformer?

I phoned the supplier and got a somewhat clueless guy who tried to tell me I needed to buy a power transformer.
I then read the label again (it was in very small print) and called him back.
He adjusted his previous advice and said I don't need to buy a transformer but need to replace the detachable cable with one than can handle higher voltage as Japan's voltage is 120 volts (even though he lives here, he got that wrong too. The Japanese voltage is 100 volts).

I told him that the cable has 300V printed on it, but he insists it will not handle the higher voltage.
I need to be able to use the CPAP at 220 volts during a week's holiday in Thailand.

What am I to believe? Do I need to buy a power transformer, a special cable, or will the CPAP and current cable/adapter work as is?

* I realize I will probably need a plug adapter but don't know if I need a power transformer.

Rubicon

Re: Adapter for overseas travel

Post by Rubicon » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:23 am

CPAPQs4All wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:30 am
Judging by the label shown in the photo, and also the label on the bottom of the device, it can handle 100 to 240v, correct?
Correct. Works anywhere on the planet.

https://ap.resmed.com/knowledge/will-my ... -countries
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:48 am

CPAPQs4All wrote:
He adjusted his previous advice and said I don't need to buy a transformer but need to replace the detachable cable
Well, that's correct advice, if for the wrong reason.

The most *effective* thing to do is get the proper short cord(s) for whatever country(ies) you're going to visit, and leave your Japanese (which might be the same as the US cord) at home.
CPAPQs4All wrote:
* I realize I will probably need a plug adapter but don't know if I need a power transformer.
You don't need either.

Some people do use deathdapters but it's not the best way of doing things. Plus why pack a cord *and* a deathdapter when you could just pack the right cord?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CPAPQs4All

Post by CPAPQs4All » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:12 am

palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:48 am
CPAPQs4All wrote:
He adjusted his previous advice and said I don't need to buy a transformer but need to replace the detachable cable
Well, that's correct advice, if for the wrong reason.

The most *effective* thing to do is get the proper short cord(s) for whatever country(ies) you're going to visit, and leave your Japanese (which might be the same as the US cord) at home.
CPAPQs4All wrote:
You don't need either.

Some people do use deathdapters but it's not the best way of doing things. Plus why pack a cord *and* a deathdapter when you could just pack the right cord?

Are you saying the voltage is not an issue?
Can I use my current detachable cable?
In Japan it will be easier to get a plug adapter than find a cable with a Thai plug attached to it

CPAPQs4All

Post by CPAPQs4All » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:20 am

Rubicon wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:23 am
CPAPQs4All wrote:
Correct. Works anywhere on the planet.

https://ap.resmed.com/knowledge/will-my ... -countries
Does that also apply to the detachable cable that plugs into the wall? (Assuming I find a plug adapter)

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:33 am

CPAPQs4All wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:12 am
In Japan it will be easier to get a plug adapter than find a cable with a Thai plug attached to it
Well, according to the internet, you don't need *anything*, so just quit spazzing out.

An actual photo of an actual Thailand power outlet, see, you can stuff your plug right into it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CPAPQs4All

Post by CPAPQs4All » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:39 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:33 am
CPAPQs4All wrote:
Well, according to the internet, you don't need *anything*, so just quit spazzing out.

An actual photo of an actual Thailand power outlet, see, you can stuff your plug right into it.
Thanks, for confirming that. I Googled the outlets too. The majority of them seem to be that type. I was just thrown by the adamancy of the Teijin representative yesterday.
Teijin is the exclusive distributor of ResMed’s products in Japan.
It isn't the first time for them dealing with customers/patients going overseas as they recited a list of instructions about informing my doctor and they are sending me their pamphlet about using the CPAP when traveling.
I can't believe their support line is so full of shxt.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:28 pm

CPAPQs4All wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:39 pm
palerider wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:33 am
CPAPQs4All wrote:

Thanks, for confirming that. I Googled the outlets too. The majority of them seem to be that type. I was just thrown by the adamancy of the Teijin representative yesterday.
Teijin is the exclusive distributor of ResMed’s products in Japan.
It isn't the first time for them dealing with customers/patients going overseas as they recited a list of instructions about informing my doctor and they are sending me their pamphlet about using the CPAP when traveling.
I can't believe their support line is so full of shxt.
From what I've heard, the Japanese are even worse about not admitting that there's anything outside their country than the American's are.

Rubicon

Post by Rubicon » Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:54 am

CPAPQs4All wrote:
... they are sending me their pamphlet about using the CPAP when traveling.
If it's this one it's not real helpful:

https://media.resmed.com/sites/3/201911 ... -sheet.pdf
Freeze this moment a little bit longer.
Make each sensation a little bit stronger.
Experience slips away.

CPAPQs4All

Post by CPAPQs4All » Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:47 pm

Rubicon wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:54 am
CPAPQs4All wrote:
... they are sending me their pamphlet about using the CPAP when traveling.
If it's this one it's not real helpful:

https://media.resmed.com/sites/3/201911 ... -sheet.pdf
Yes and it is misleading as well because it says “power adapter” whereas this other Resmed link https://ap.resmed.com/knowledge/will-my ... -countries given above says “plug adapter” which makes more sense. I won’t wait with bated breath for whatever guidance the Japanese dude on the phone sends me, assuming he doesn’t forget!

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:16 am

Like a laptop computer, the power brick is the transformer! You may need an outlet adapter, but that's all you need.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:41 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:16 am
Like a laptop computer, the power brick is the transformer! You may need an outlet adapter, but that's all you need.
Did you even read the thread before jumping in?

Sorry, yeah, that was a silly question on my part.