Mouth Tape That Actually Stays Put!?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
msr0459

Mouth Tape That Actually Stays Put!?

Post by msr0459 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:47 am

Hello all,

I've used the Quattro FX full face, for mild hypopneas and snoring, for quite a while now. Am now experimenting with just a nasal mask, and have the Airfit N30i. I'm a very light sleeper, but this is pretty comfortable as well as quiet. The problem is, it seems my tongue always drops back when sleeping, which forces the air into my mouth. Which is one of the reasons I went with a full face. So, I've been trying to mouth tape to see if that would work with a nasal mask, but so far, every time at some point after sleeping the tape gives way, typically at the corners of my mouth, and wakes me.

I've been using a 3M medical cloth tape, which is VERY sticky,... like, I have to use warm water and soap in the morning just to pull it off my lips, and get off the tape residue. But even with that it still gives way during sleep enough to wake me.

Can anyone recommend a better tape?

I also purchased the F30i, but since they didn't have the size that seals perfectly, like the N30i, which is a SW, I went with another size I thought might work, nope, leaks like crazy! I've considered purchasing the SW cushion for it separately, but really don't want to possibly spend 60 bucks and it not work. Also, I've no idea that IF I order the SW cushion, and IF it seals like the N30i, will the F30i be as quiet as the N30i?

I'm just really over the Quatto FX. I've recently upgraded to the Airsense 11 machine, and ever since then the Quattro has been giving me grief and not sealing properly. New cushion, wash the cushion, whatever,... have to fiddle with it for quite a while every night. My pressure is only a 7, btw.

Any thoughts or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Marc

CPAP-A-MUST

Re: Mouth Tape That Actually Stays Put!?

Post by CPAP-A-MUST » Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:20 am

I have been using kinesiology tape for about a year. Easy to remove, no residue. Bought on Amazon.
Machine: ResMed AS10 for Her w/Humdifier & ClimateLine Hose
Settings: Fixed at 8 cm H2O, EPR 1
Mask: ResMed N30i
Other: Kinesiology Tape

“Gratitude and attitude are choices, not challenges”

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:46 am

As you are applying the tape, turn your lips in slightly. Hold the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth and practice holding it there while falling asleep and anytime you wake up. (Sorry for the run-on sentence.)

bernieb

Post by bernieb » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 am

Check out eBay for "mouth seal tape" and you will see numerous sales for strips that are "X" shaped. They come in package
of 150 for about $8.00 shipped from China so it will take a while to get them. I have some that I purchased a few years ago that still work fine. I used one last week but don't use them regularly. I'd be happy to send you a few (no charge) if you send me an address to mail them to. They work fine for me but I find that I don't get different results with or without them.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:39 am

instead of tape, may i recommend the scunci method?

viewtopic.php?p=1089718&f=1&t=112758&p= ... s#p1086296
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:44 am

My tape (Somnifix) would also loosen at the corners of my mouth. Now I use the tape AND a simplified version of the Scunci method Zonker mentions. I cut earholes, and then I put the Scunci over my mouth and put a little tension on it, holding it in place with a pair of bobby pins. You might not even need the bobby pins.

When you position your tongue, do you give a little swallow or suck to create a seal between your tongue and your palate?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:43 pm

bernieb wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 am
Check out eBay for "mouth seal tape" and you will see numerous sales for strips that are "X" shaped. They come in package
of 150 for about $8.00 shipped from China so it will take a while to get them. I have some that I purchased a few years ago that still work fine. I used one last week but don't use them regularly. I'd be happy to send you a few (no charge) if you send me an address to mail them to. They work fine for me but I find that I don't get different results with or without them.
I buy them from Amazon. They come in two days - stocked in the local Amazon distribution center. Worth a try, but these probably won't hold for the OP given the description of her current tape failure.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:50 pm

CPAP-A-MUST wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:20 am
I have been using kinesiology tape for about a year. Easy to remove, no residue. Bought on Amazon.
I use KT tape to protect my CGM, but may give it a try on my pie hole,
but cut it into a chin ups shape (boomerang).
I buy it at Walmart, but if Amazon is cheaper, I may take a look.

msr0459

Post by msr0459 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:53 pm

bernieb wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 am
Can't use the X tape, I have a short beard.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:50 pm

Lose the beard.
Health before vanity.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:11 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:44 am
....and then I put the Scunci over my mouth and put a little tension on it, holding it in place with a pair of bobby pins. You might not even need the bobby pins.

hmmm, i just may try that. my scuncis are getting a bit loose and i can't seem to find a source for new ones.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:13 pm

msr0459 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 5:53 pm

Can't use the X tape, I have a short beard.
my beard is why i use scuncis instead of tape.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

mets123

Post by mets123 » Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:23 pm

I have been taping for quite a while and I strongly recommend Hypafix tape. Holds very well and easy to remove in the morning.

Loudmouth

Post by Loudmouth » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:09 pm

3M makes a bunch of medical tapes, which one are you using? I use Micropore, but I know there are some that are less sticky and some that are more sticky. You could also try dabbing your existing tape on a piece of your clothing - that will pick up some dust that will reduce the stickyness.

Deborah K.

Post by Deborah K. » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:25 pm

Here's the tape I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJ ... UTF8&psc=1

It goes on easily, can be peeled off very easily, and re-applied. I actually use the same piece for numerous days. I cut a piece way wider than my mouth and almost never have any leaks. It's pricy, but it works so well that it is worth it to me. Once on it looks funny, but feels remarkably comfortable. I'll never switch. :)
Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset For Her
Mask: Bleep Dreamport mask system