Final Thoughts from Billy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Billymadison420

Final Thoughts from Billy

Post by Billymadison420 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:46 pm

Well I had a 2nd PSG and MSLT.

Here they are:

PSG: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19wyQT ... p=drive_fs

MSLT: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Fv5qM ... p=drive_fs

I was off major meds for this study. My daytime sleepiness, is still what I would call extreme, but it's not showing up on Sleep Studies. At this point I am completely confounded. It also appears I do not have Sleep Apnea.

Pugsy

Re: Final Thoughts from Billy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:20 pm

Billymadison420 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:46 pm
I was off major meds for this study.
How long were you off the meds?

Were you taking the ones listed in the report? If not...how long had it been since you took either?

How many nights prior to the sleep study did you sleep WITHOUT the cpap machine?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:41 pm

Did you get any data about spontaneous arousals?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:45 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:20 pm
Billymadison420 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:46 pm
I was off major meds for this study.
How long were you off the meds?

Were you taking the ones listed in the report? If not...how long had it been since you took either?

How many nights prior to the sleep study did you sleep WITHOUT the cpap machine?
Hi Pugsy!

I was off a week prior. So with the half lifes taken into account, it should have been out of my system by at least 90%.

I slept without the CPAP machine 3 nights prior.

"Sleep efficiency was 89.6%. Sleep architecture was disrupted due to multiple arousals and awakenings following sleep onset. Sleep latency was 25.6 minutes. REM latency was 63.0 minutes. The periodic limb movement index was O events per hour of sleep and the periodic limb movement arousal index was 0. Baseline awake Sa02 was 97.9% and nadir was 93.0%. The proportion of time spent below an Sa02 of 89% was 0.0% of total sleep time. The apnea/hypopnea index (AHI) was 0.4 events/hour with an AHI in REM of 0 and in the supine position of 0.4. The respiratory disturbance index (RDI) was 0.6 events/hour with an RDI in REM of 0.4 and in the supine position of 0.5.
No snoring was noted during the study. Cardiac arrhythmias were not observed"
Last edited by Billymadison420 on Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:53 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:41 pm
Hi!

I should get that report today :-)

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:21 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:41 pm
It turns out I had about half of the arousals that I had last time. I also had absolutely zero apneas. Zero obstructive. Zero rera. This was tested both of the home sleep study and in the sleep lab on the PSG.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:22 am

What caught my eye was this: "Sleep architecture was disrupted due to multiple arousals and awakenings following sleep onset." I'm still not sure how many arousals they detected, but apparently the number was high enough to mess up your sleep architecture. And it sounds as though the arousals were all "spontaneous," meaning their cause is not due to a breathing issue and is otherwise unknown.

Does this sound right to you, given what you know about the study? Do you have any ideas about what might be causing those "multiple arousals"?

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:59 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:22 am
What caught my eye was this: "Sleep architecture was disrupted due to multiple arousals and awakenings following sleep onset." I'm still not sure how many arousals they detected, but apparently the number was high enough to mess up your sleep architecture. And it sounds as though the arousals were all "spontaneous," meaning their cause is not due to a breathing issue and is otherwise unknown.

Does this sound right to you, given what you know about the study? Do you have any ideas about what might be causing those "multiple arousals"?
100% accurate. 66 spontaneous arousals. Down from 99 last year. I asked about them and he said that they would make you tired but not to the degree I was mentioning. He really felt my bipolar was causing the deep fatigue. He is actually authoring a paper on it!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:02 pm

I just googled bipolar disorder and sleep, and I can certainly see why this is your doctor's opinion. Perhaps those spontaneous arousals are themselves caused by the bipolar disorder? At any rate, you may have two factors contributing to your daytime fatigue and sleepiness. I wish you the very best in getting effective treatment.

KrisCrossed

Post by KrisCrossed » Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:46 pm

Something to consider--I just read Brain Energy by Christopher Palmer MD. He is a psychiatrist and in this book discusses the idea that mitochondrial dysfunction is the root of many conditions that have symptoms that overlap in the psych world. If you're interested in how mitochondria control inflammation, neurotransmitters and hormones that can impact mental health, obesity, diabetes, epilepsy, migraine and more (he casts a broad net), the book might be worth borrowing from your local library given that your fatigue is profound. I don't think this guy is a good science writer but I pulled a couple of things out of the book to try with positive results FWIW.
Airsense 11 Autoset
AirTouch F20 Full Face Mask
Northern California

Billymadison420

Post by Billymadison420 » Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:26 pm

KrisCrossed wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:46 pm
Something to consider--I just read Brain Energy by Christopher Palmer MD. He is a psychiatrist and in this book discusses the idea that mitochondrial dysfunction is the root of many conditions that have symptoms that overlap in the psych world. If you're interested in how mitochondria control inflammation, neurotransmitters and hormones that can impact mental health, obesity, diabetes, epilepsy, migraine and more (he casts a broad net), the book might be worth borrowing from your local library given that your fatigue is profound. I don't think this guy is a good science writer but I pulled a couple of things out of the book to try with positive results FWIW.
Thanks for the info. Interestingly enough, my primary care doctor mentioned a supplement that is supposed to work on mitochondria. He was initially skeptical but then thought the science behind it was pretty good.