Airfit F30i + Mouth Taping = Dry Mouth?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
msr0459

Airfit F30i + Mouth Taping = Dry Mouth?

Post by msr0459 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:18 am

I've been using a full face Quattro Fx for a while, and recently tried the Airfit F30i nasal only mask. I have to Mouth tape or air inevitably shoots out of my mouth after falling asleep. This works ok, except after a couple of hours, I woke up with an extremely dry mouth,..like could barely swallow dry.

I guess this happens because of the air pressure coming directly from the nasal cavity? The F30i was way more comfortable than the Quattro Fx, and even though the mask noise is higher, I may could deal with it.

Has anyone compared the F30i full face with the nasal only, in regards to mask noise?

Thanks,
Marc

Dog Slobber

Re: Airfit F30i + Mouth Taping = Dry Mouth?

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:17 am

You're not describing your mask properly.

The F30i is a full-face mask, and not a "nasal only" mask.
The P30i is a pillow and thus a "nasal only" mask.
The N30i is also a "nasal only" mask.

Maybe, your use of nasal only, meaning under the nose is confusing?

msr0459

Post by msr0459 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:50 am

Sorry, it was an Airfit N30i that I used with the mouth tape.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:11 am

OK.

I use the P30i, but this applies to the N30i.

For years, I successfully used a nasal only mask, first the P10, then the P30i, without problem.

Then a few months ago, for some strange reason that I don't understand, I started opening my mouth. Sever mouth leaks all night and bad dry-mouth.

My solution was mouth-taping. An import part of success for mouth taping is the type of tape. For me, and others here, Cover Roll Stretch works well. I also had to turn down my humidity, as the dampness was loosening the tape and I was blowing through it.

https://www.amazon.com/Cover-Roll-Stret ... B000GCRWNA

msr0459

Post by msr0459 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:31 am

I used a cloth medical tape from 3m. It's a pain to remove in the morning, I have to use soap and water,... but, it's the only one I've found thus far that actually sticks well enough to keep my mouth closed, so no air escapes and wakes me.

But again, the result was such an extremely dry mouth. And yet you don't have that issue apparently.

This is why I'm considering trying the full face version, F30i. Just worried the "Darth Vader" noise will increase. I also tried the dreamwear full face,..but the noise was WAY too much for me,..I honestly can't see how anyone can sleep with all that inhalation whirring noise.

Marc

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:38 am

The F30 is a very silent mask.

The problem with the "i" masks is that you hear the air rushing through those tubes on your cheeks.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:08 am

msr0459 wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:31 am
I honestly can't see how anyone can sleep with all that inhalation whirring noise.

I use the F30i with EPR 3, and the noise isn't a bother. This might be because I keep a burner phone on the nightstand with a brown noise app running. The brown noise even helps people who sleep in a room with no CPAPs. It's a relaxing sound for most people. (I don't know why they call it brown. I guess white was already taken. There is also a pink, but I had nightmares about flamingos on the lawn.)

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:20 am

"A burner phone"? Is that like "an old one I only connect to my wifi"?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:15 pm

ozij wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:20 am
Is that like "an old one I only connect to my wifi"?
Yup. My use of "burner" was not technically correct.

(I only needed to connect to my wifi one time for downloading a white noise app.)

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:57 pm

Thanks. I did not know the term at all.
I may just try that!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:38 am

ozij wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:57 pm
Thanks. I did not know the term at all.
I may just try that!
Here is the app I use - https://apps.apple.com/us/app/white-noi ... d292987597

Free. Simple.

ozij

Post by ozij » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:50 am

:D

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

msr0459

Post by msr0459 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:21 pm

I just tried the F30i, and the size of the cushion doesn't work,.. leaking like crazy. It's beyond me why they don't offer the same sizes as with the N30i. I use a "SW" in the N30i, and it fits perfectly, no leaks. When I purchased the F30i, I was told it only comes with the choices S, M, or W. I went with the M and as I said, no go. And according to the sizing card, the W would be way too wide for me.

So here's what I'm truly puzzled by. Others obviously use the N30i, with mouth taping, and no issues with the extremely dry mouth like myself, even though I also mouth taped.

Is it because perhaps I didn't tape secure enough, and maybe some air was escaping my mouth, and I wasn't aware? Or maybe because my tongue falls back, letting the air rush into my mouth, and thus drying it out?

Just really want to be able to use the N30i, as it's so unobtrusive, lightweight, and reasonably quiet. But again, unless I can figure the dry mouth issue, I can't use it.

Would appreciate any thoughts,
Marc

Ebonyeyez

Post by Ebonyeyez » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:10 pm

A review of the sizing guide from Resmed shows there is a SW size mask for the F30i. I’ve been using this size with my F30i since June 2023.