DC power cable for Dreamstation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
calusa

DC power cable for Dreamstation

Post by calusa » Sun May 07, 2023 4:07 pm

FINALLY, I received a refurbished Dreamstation to replace my recalled System One machine.

The Dreamstation works fine when its power supply is plugged into a regular 120-volt power outlet.

The main reason I bought the System One machine back in the day was that it could run off a 12-volt battery directly without using any kind of inverter or power converter.

Today I tried plugging my regular 12-volt DC power cable into the Dreamstation. It threw up a simple error message, "Check Power," and would not operate. My battery system was putting out 13.5 volts and has plenty of capacity to operate the Dreamstation.

Can anyone suggest a reason why the Dreamstation won't run directly off a DC power source, like the System One machines have done forever?

loggerhead12

Re: DC power cable for Dreamstation

Post by loggerhead12 » Sun May 07, 2023 4:46 pm

Maybe this:

"While Respironics DreamStation series PAP devices operate from 12V direct current the DC port on these devices require a proprietary signal in order to recognize a valid power source; therefore, a 12V power adapter is required to complete the connection between the device and the Freedom Battery."

From here:

https://cpapsupplies.com/bps-dreamstati ... er-adapter

calusa

Post by calusa » Thu May 11, 2023 5:55 am

Yes - this must be the problem!

While browsing the Respironics recall thread, I ran across similar advice, posted by Lane101 a couple of months ago:

"You can use the same 12 volt battery that works with your System One with the DS1 if you buy a Philips shielded DC power cord. It will plug into a 12v cigarette lighter socket. Same cord works for DS1 and DS2 machines. Cost of around $30. They added a third line through a 22K resistor that the machine looks for to force purchase of their proprietary cord. Resmed has done the same thing. I have one and it works well."

"https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... ed-dc-cord"

Lane101

Post by Lane101 » Tue May 16, 2023 4:17 pm

calusa wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 5:55 am
Yes - this must be the problem!

While browsing the Respironics recall thread, I ran across similar advice, posted by Lane101 a couple of months ago:

"You can use the same 12 volt battery that works with your System One with the DS1 if you buy a Philips shielded DC power cord. It will plug into a 12v cigarette lighter socket. Same cord works for DS1 and DS2 machines. Cost of around $30. They added a third line through a 22K resistor that the machine looks for to force purchase of their proprietary cord. Resmed has done the same thing. I have one and it works well."

"https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... ed-dc-cord"
Couldn't have said it better myself:-)

Funny, I went through a similar process to that of calusa to learn of the needed proprietary cable requirement.

calusa

Post by calusa » Sat May 20, 2023 3:39 pm

Well, I bought the Philips shielded DC power cord for about $30.

The 22K resister is inside the cigarette-lighter plug, along with a tiny green power indicator. I didn't want to use their plug, as I have a different system for supplying 12 volts DC. So I surgically removed the resister and power indicator from the body of their plug and soldered them into a plug that matches my system. This time the Dreamstation accepted my power immediately -- no more "Check Power" error message -- and the machine now functions properly.

I feel like I was tricked into buying an unnecessary $30 cable; but after the extended pain and indignity of the whole Philips Respironics recall fiasco, what's one more insult?

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun May 21, 2023 9:20 am

calusa wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 3:39 pm
I feel like I was tricked into buying an unnecessary $30 cable;
You could be paying $95 for a DC power cord one like the rest of us.
Or you could get 3 of them?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ines?gad=1

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 21, 2023 10:21 am

Three small screws instead of one big screw?
I see a pattern here . . .

Happydaze

Post by Happydaze » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:19 am

New member here (65 years, been on the machine for about 10 years now, all good, except for this issue) but have joined in order to try and resolve the exact same 12v issue as this thread is about.

I'm in the UK but am finding the 12v shielded lead is out of stock everywhere here and in the US also it seems unless someone could advise me otherwise!

I'm very keen to learn, if possible, how to perform the resistor wiring as @calusa mentions. (As a new member I've not got private message functionality, I tried that!!) Obviously there can't be too much to wiring a single resistor but I'd appreciate whatever details might be forthcoming.

Huge thanks in advance!!!!

Chris

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Sun Jan 14, 2024 12:59 pm

Happydaze wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:19 am
I'm in the UK but am finding the 12v shielded lead is out of stock everywhere here and in the US also it seems unless someone could advise me otherwise!
You don't mention the exact model of your Dreamstation but take a look here...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... ed-dc-cord

Perhaps you have a friend or a family member who can forward this to you?
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

calusa

Post by calusa » Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:58 pm

Sleepgeek's suggestion is a good one: spend the $30 + shipping to the UK to order this cable from cpap.com. That seems pricey, but the cable quality is very high and cpap.com is a reputable seller.

If, like me, you need to remove the power end that comes with this cable, let me know what kind of plug or wiring you want to use instead. Then I'll take a look at my system and try to recall exactly what I had to do to make mine work. As I recall, it involved some careful deconstruction, a bit of clipping, and then straightforward soldering; easy enough if you do any electronics work or have a friend so inclined!

I've had no problems with mine, except once in a while when my 12 volt supply drops REALLY low. Then I get the same error message I got originally, and merely need to disconnect the machine until my voltage returns to maybe 11 volts.

Happydaze

Post by Happydaze » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:12 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses! I've purchased the lead from the cpap.com link provided, so thanks for that as they list it in stock! $30 plus $42 FedEx shipping but I can live with that - worth it just to get a resolution.

My machine is a Dreamstation Auto, which is compatible with the lead ordered.

Hope it works out so I won't be needing the workaround.

Sleep, and breathe well at the same time everyone!

Cheers
Chris

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:22 pm

Glad it helped.
Happydaze wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:12 am
My machine is a Dreamstation Auto,
fwiw - find the label or placard on your cpap that has the "S/N" on it -
on that label will be the "Model #" - use that Model # when asking questions or ordering parts.

Better yet put that Model # in your profile signature.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?