Ive been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea – Now I’m getting very worried

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cocka2

Re: Ive been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea – Now I’m getting very worried

Post by Cocka2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:12 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:04 am
Cocka2 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:26 am
Would altering the original doctors Resmed machine settings in any way help .
No one can know until seeing your OSCAR chart.
Cocka2 wrote:
Ive tried to attach my screen shots ( 3 ) and keep getting this message ..... Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

any advice please.
Get a free account at imgur.com; upload your chart to imgur; and post the link in this thread.
Cocka2 wrote:
I don’t drink alcohol .
Why not? :mrgreen:
Thanks , I tried imgur and got this ..... Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."

As for drinking :D

Cocka2

rick blaine

Post by rick blaine » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:27 am

Hi Cocka2,

I'll let others continue with the advice on machine pressure setting and OSCAR runes-reading. This is about relocation, in case you haven't been given this info already.

I assume your daughter has some form of medical cover – both a family doctor and a dentist – and pays a subscription to an American insurance company. It would be a good idea to ask if you can become a patient of the same family doctor and dentist, and a subscriber of the same American insurance company. Makes all sorts of things simpler.

As for your medical records, your new family doctor can contact your UK GP and ask him or her to send a copy of your medical records for the last 10 years. This used to be free, but nowadays a GP practice might charge a small fee for doing so,

There was a time when UK GPs kept all of a patient's medical records, going back to the foundation of the NHS in 1944 if necessary. Nowadays, they might keep your records for – as I said – ten years or so before moving them to an organisation called Primary Care Support England.

So depending on what your GP has kept, you may need to contact that body too.

A useful source of info for people moving from out of the care of the NHS and into the care obtained in another country is given here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... -in-guides

As to the risks of sleep apnea, the way to think of it is: it's the same as the risks of high blood pressure. A typical patient with untreated high blood pressure doesn't conk out suddenly or after only a few weeks. It's when the hbp goes untreated for a long period of time, putting stress on the whole system, that the patient may develop a stroke or heart failure.

What keeps that from happening is keeping the bp within good numbers. And it's the same with sleep apnea.

:)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:38 am

Cocka2 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:12 am
Thanks , I tried imgur and got this ..... Imgur is temporarily over capacity. Please try again later."
Try again later. I just uploaded a pic without problems. Their servers are clunky at times.

If you are using a VPN, the problem may be worse.

Cocka2

Post by Cocka2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:47 am

rick blaine wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:27 am
Hi Cocka2,

I'll let others continue with the advice on machine pressure setting and OSCAR runes-reading. This is about relocation, in case you haven't been given this info already.

I assume your daughter has some form of medical cover – both a family doctor and a dentist – and pays a subscription to an American insurance company. It would be a good idea to ask if you can become a patient of the same family doctor and dentist, and a subscriber of the same American insurance company. Makes all sorts of things simpler.

As for your medical records, your new family doctor can contact your UK GP and ask him or her to send a copy of your medical records for the last 10 years. This used to be free, but nowadays a GP practice might charge a small fee for doing so,

There was a time when UK GPs kept all of a patient's medical records, going back to the foundation of the NHS in 1944 if necessary. Nowadays, they might keep your records for – as I said – ten years or so before moving them to an organisation called Primary Care Support England.

So depending on what your GP has kept, you may need to contact that body too.

A useful source of info for people moving from out of the care of the NHS and into the care obtained in another country is given here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... -in-guides

As to the risks of sleep apnea, the way to think of it is: it's the same as the risks of high blood pressure. A typical patient with untreated high blood pressure doesn't conk out suddenly or after only a few weeks. It's when the hbp goes untreated for a long period of time, putting stress on the whole system, that the patient may develop a stroke or heart failure.

What keeps that from happening is keeping the bp within good numbers. And it's the same with sleep apnea.

:)

Hi and thanks for the very helpful information , its appreciated .I'm going to check a few things out and will get back to you

Kind Regards - Cocka2

Cocka2

Post by Cocka2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:50 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:38 am
Cocka2 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:12 am
Try again later. I just uploaded a pic without problems. Their servers are clunky at times.

If you are using a VPN, the problem may be worse.

Thanks, I've used another image sharing web site in my original post ( my screen shots ) can you see those screen shots ?

I'm currently using my daughters computer .

Cocka2

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:40 am

Cocka2 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:50 am
Thanks, I've used another image sharing web site in my original post ( my screen shots ) can you see those screen shots ?
You didn't put it in the OP. You hid it way down in the middle of the post.

Your mask is leaking so badly that the report means nothing. Which mask are you using? Find that model on youtube and watch some videos on fitting and adjusting.

Cocka2

Post by Cocka2 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:24 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:40 am
Cocka2 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:50 am
You didn't put it in the OP. You hid it way down in the middle of the post.

Your mask is leaking so badly that the report means nothing. Which mask are you using? Find that model on youtube and watch some videos on fitting and adjusting.

Sorry about that , I'm still learning :(

The mask I was wearing is an AirFit P30i pillows cushion type.

I brought with me a few different masks and I will try another type ..... Phillips Dreamwear Full Face Mask.

Cocka2

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:32 am

It's good you have some other masks to try. With all masks, work to get the best fit you can. There are videos on line for each make and model of mask that can help you with this. Be sure to try out actual sleep conditions during the fitting, e.g., sleeping in your preferred position and turning from one position to another.

I'm curious why your usage in the posted Oscar image was only 2 hours. Is that how long you usually use the machine? If yes, what is it that leads you to take the mask off after a few hours?

You might benefit from using the machine and mask during the day or evening outside your bedroom, while you read or watch TV or do something else mildly distracting. This can be a big help in getting used to the novel experience.

People do love a dramatic story, don't they! Rick Blaine has put the issue of risks very well, so be sure to look carefully at what he has said about that.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Cocka2

Post by Cocka2 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:51 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:32 am
It's good you have some other masks to try. With all masks, work to get the best fit you can. There are videos on line for each make and model of mask that can help you with this. Be sure to try out actual sleep conditions during the fitting, e.g., sleeping in your preferred position and turning from one position to another.

I'm curious why your usage in the posted Oscar image was only 2 hours. Is that how long you usually use the machine? If yes, what is it that leads you to take the mask off after a few hours?

You might benefit from using the machine and mask during the day or evening outside your bedroom, while you read or watch TV or do something else mildly distracting. This can be a big help in getting used to the novel experience.

People do love a dramatic story, don't they! Rick Blaine has put the issue of risks very well, so be sure to look carefully at what he has said about that.
Thanks for your comment , its appreciated.

The current situation is that I first use a nasal spray , then put on a face mask and let the Resmed machine start. My problem occurs after a short period of wearing any mask. While wearing the Phillips Dreamwear full face mask , which did feel comfortable while I was lying on my side , after a short period of time ( 1 – 2 hours ) I start to think to my self that things are not working as I’m not falling to sleep. So out of continuing frustration I remove the mask and turn off the Resmed machine . I’m not sure if any personal feelings are playing a part in my current situation , like new surroundings , anxiety , uncertainty, recent bereavement etc.

Cocka2

Cocka2

Post by Cocka2 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:55 am

Well I changed my mask to a …… Phillips Dreamwear Full Face Mask
and reset the Resmed machine setting to full face mask.

Current ResMed settings

Mode = Autoset
Max Pressure = 10.0
Min Pressure = 8.0
Mask = Full face
SmartStart = On
Essentials = Plus
EPR Level = 3
Tube Temp = 20

This latest Oscar report for me is confusing and I’m not sure whats going on . :(

Cocka2

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:09 am

You only used CPAP for 1 hour and 24 minutes?

JOinPA

Post by JOinPA » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:50 am

I'll leave the coaching to others, I'm not experienced enough, but there are some very deep experts here who will get you straightened out.

But until you can use the therapy all (or almost all) night, you're not going to make any headway. An hour and a half are not going to solve your issues (although results look good for the time you were using it).

I had severe apnea for years and just thought of it as "snoring", but then I developed Type 2 Diabetes and Atrial Fibrillation and the cardiologist had me do the sleep test. One cannot be sure, but sleep apnea has been so definitively linked to these two conditions it is quite possible I would not have either had I started CPAP therapy earlier. And now that I am getting good sleep every night, both conditions are likely less severe. And of course, I feel much better.

I think the idea of using CPAP while reading or watching TV is a good one, if it is just feels too abnormal for you to stop thinking about it and stay asleep. That is hopefully just an acclimatization phase you'll get through. It feels so normal to me now, I use it even for a 30 minute nap. I start the machine as soon as I am prone, even though I typically read for a bit before going to sleep. Believe it or not, it feels more abnormal for me when I am NOT using CPAP.

Best of luck to you!

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:33 am

I was 72 when I started using my machine and my wife was 71 when she got hers. Many of us have started later in life and have managed to get used to using them. It has taken some of us longer than others to get used to them. It took me almost over a week of using it every night before I could sleep all night with it. My wife, on the other hand took to it the first night. Stick with it and use it as much as you can.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:13 pm

Cocka2 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:51 am
after a short period of time ( 1 – 2 hours ) I start to think to my self that things are not working as I’m not falling to sleep. So out of continuing frustration I remove the mask and turn off the Resmed machine . I’m not sure if any personal feelings are playing a part in my current situation , like new surroundings , anxiety , uncertainty, recent bereavement etc.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the feelings you're having do play a role in your difficulty falling asleep. In addition, the story your daughter's next-door neighbor told may be contributing too. Do try using the machine during the day or evening; I think that will help. And for just a few days, try using a prescription sleep medication:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20043959

Once you get the hang of sleeping with the machine, the chances are good that you'll come to prefer sleeping with it to sleeping without it. Be patient, though; it may take you some time. You're dealing with so much all at once.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

grapeshly

Post by grapeshly » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:41 pm

I went a long time - years - knowing that I had sleep problems before I was diagnosed as having sleep apnea. In that time, sleep has become so unproductive that I had become accustomed to not sleeping much, and thus I sort of lost the ability to fall asleep. Then menopause hit, which only made things worse. Although the cpap machine turned things around for me, I still wasn't sleeping well.

I say this because you may have more going on than just sleep apnea. Obviously, I can't know what that may be for you, or even if you may be fighting more than merely learning to use the machine.

For me, I had to realize that I also had chronic anxiety. I probably had it all my life, but I didn't know it, since I thought it was a normal thing, and also, when I was younger it was easier to shrug off. My anxiety took the form of constant worry, with my thoughts always going around and around. I was unable to get drowsy, and often I would waken at 3 or 4 in the morning and be unable to fall back asleep. I had to do some research, and do some trial and error before I figured out that I needed a lot of extra Vitamin D, extra Magnesium, and some specific amino acids. (The common advice about doing meditation to calm anxiety was ineffective for me, since the high level of anxiety would not allow me to stop the "monkey mind". Fixing my nutritional deficiency allowed my mind to get calm enough, and only then could I actually meditate!)

Before you jump down that rabbit hole, Step 1 is to learn to use your machine. Doing that took me about 70% of the way. Then, if you're still unable to get productive, or effective sleep, consider that anxiety or hormones may also be working against you.