Replace a Dead ResMed CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
3DogsX

Re: Replace a Dead ResMed CPAP machine

Post by 3DogsX » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:07 am

Happy2Sleep wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:48 pm
CPAP being used - ResMed AirSense 10
Geographic Location - San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA

The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet machine died recently. It gave me just over 5 years of fantastic sleep. I need a new machine ASAP... but, the local "sleep doctor"/sleep center is such a rip-off, I cannot abide going back to them for a replacement machine. They charged Blue Cross almost $4000 for the first CPAP machine... the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, the one that just died after a little over 5 years. My portion of that cost was about $850. When I look at places online that sell the RM AS10 machine, prices range from $725 to $900 or so. I just can't overpay those sleep center crooks another $3000 so the sleep doc can make another payment on the S-Class Mercedes and the Range Rover. I spoke to Blue Cross about this rip-off scenario and they essentially shrugged their shoulders, weren't interested in it, and had no suggestions for how to acquire a machine without being ripped-off for an extra $3000. If the machines really cost $4000 (or probably more since 5 years have gone by since that purchase), I can afford to pay for a new machine, even if there was no Blue Cross reimbursement. It's not the money that's driving this, it's the audacity and rip-off the jerk-squad at the sleep center perpetrate on patients that I refuse to support.

Because the sleep center "hasn't seen me" for 5 years, they now want me to see the sleep doc again, have the overnight hooked-up-to-30-wires sleep-study (that they charged another $3600 for 5 years ago). And THEN I can get a new machine that I will be massively over-paying for again. I see places online that will do a doc consult via Zoom or Team Viewer or something, discuss your needs, and provide a prescription. However, when I inquire about whether the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is in stock or not, they admit it is NOT in stock even though they are happy to take your order and charge your credit card. I've contacted 2 online sellers offering this service, 3 times each over about 8 months, and neither of them had the RM AS10 in stock when those inquiries were made. I don't want to get trapped into one of those "we shipped it yesterday" scenarios where 80 days pass, you still don't have the machine, and now the credit card company won't remove the charge because it has been so long.

How do I get a new ResMed AirSense10 AutoSet without the rip-off factor? Canada mail order? Mexico mail order? Are any of the online US-based sellers with the prescription option legitimate/trustworthy? All I ever received from the local sleep center was the machine... there is no prescription in my paperwork folder from that sleep center. The sleep center won't provide a duplicate prescription that's 5 years old. Can some sort of medical device seller (I'm clueless about how to find one of those if they exist) help with this? I know a prescription is required to purchase a machine... but replacing a dead machine shouldn't require a new sleep study, should it? I can't even look at that sleep doc knowing that he's sitting there smug in his cocoon of overcharged CPAP cash. My primary care doc and cardiologist are referring me back to the predatory sleep center that's going to put me through an unnecessary sleep study and overcharge out the wazoo for everything again. Any advice?
Depending on how it 'died'... replacement motors can be purchased for <$100 for the Air10. It is a fairly easy replacement if you are the DIY type....

Happy2Sleep

Post by Happy2Sleep » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:04 pm

I am a DIYer -- and a product development engineer. Is there a thread or other resource for replacing parts (with sources?)? And info about common failures?

My ResMed AS10 got a little noisier when it got to be 3 years old, but it still worked fine. When it failed at 5 years of age, it seemed like something regulating the pressure was no longer working... it was pushing air too hard and not "stopping" the pushing while exhaling. The machine's pressure felt "controlled and consistent" before the failure. After the failure the air pressure felt "floppy" and uncontrolled like something with a rubber bladder inside failed. The motor was still running, but it seemed "unregulated". If there is some sort of pressure regulator/modulator that fails, that's probably what happened to mine. If that part is replaceable, I would probably replace that AND the motor figuring the motor has 5 years of use and it was getting noisier. It would be fabulous to have a repaired and functional backup machine, even if I have to spend $150 or so on replacement parts.

3DogsX

Post by 3DogsX » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:11 pm

I only know of two places that sell the motors that I am aware of so far. SleepHQ (if you are a member) which would be in Australia.. and Alibaba. Searching on Resmed 10 will bring them up. Nobody believes these are necessarily OEM.. but are indeed look-alikes and I have read of people being happy with the swap. Compared to the cost of a new machine, it is still a savings to bring them back to life even for a few yrs. There is a fuse that might be replaceable for those whose heater is not working as well. As for other parts... those may be harder to come by, probably because manuf would rather make a new sale than let you repair your used machine. The only additional info I have is Nicko from SleepHQ has a tear-down video on youtube that is helpful.

The other thing to consider.. is Resmed starts popping up a warning after it reaches a certain amount of hours. I believe I have read that only the DME has access to a program that can reset this counter. I may be wrong on that... but wanted to mention in case others had info on it.

3DogsX

Post by 3DogsX » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:44 pm

btw- it seems pretty common from what I have read that most places force another sleep study after 5 yrs. They need to make the moolah! You may want to inquire for an in-home study which is a lot cheaper vs the expensive one you are referring to. Unless you are potentially looking to get a bi-level or more advanced machine, then it should suffice. There are also things I read on sites like cpapsupplies.com (refer to complementary service page) where they send something to your provider to fill out. Maybe that will suffice or they will accept your primary dr (as opposed to sleep dr) to fill it out.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:11 pm

3DogsX wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:44 pm
it seems pretty common from what I have read that most places force another sleep study after 5 yrs.
Not true in the US. Most insurance companies won't pay for a second diagnostic study. You just need a letter from any doctor saying you still use CPAP and benefit from it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:18 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:11 pm
3DogsX wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:44 pm
it seems pretty common from what I have read that most places force another sleep study after 5 yrs.
Not true in the US. Most insurance companies won't pay for a second diagnostic study. You just need a letter from any doctor saying you still use CPAP and benefit from it.
I agree...it's not all that common here in the US to get new sleep studies just because someone passes the 5 year mark unless there are significant problems going on anyway.
I was diagnosed in April 2009....had my only sleep studies back then and haven't had anything to do with a sleep doctor since August 2009. So 14 years now with original diagnosis. My PCP is aware of my cpap use and that's all I need if insurance needs something to pay for anything I might need.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

3DogsX

Post by 3DogsX » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 am

interesting.. good to know. The OP was referring to getting it thru insurance BCBS. Good to know others have not seen that it is common to need to get a new sleep study/prescription for this.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:37 am

3DogsX wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 am
interesting.. good to know. The OP was referring to getting it thru insurance BCBS. Good to know others have not seen that it is common to need to get a new sleep study/prescription for this.
This was just posted in a different thread:
abcd1234 wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:22 am
I asked if I could get another sleep study approved, and quickly the reply was No because insurance usually only approves one per lifetime?

viewtopic.php?p=1439162#p1439162