Respironics replacement - is it really necessary to return.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jonquiljo

Respironics replacement - is it really necessary to return.

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:54 am

I am about to get a refurb 2nd machine from Respironics- yet another filthy DS-1 refurb from Philips. That would be 2 replacement refurbs for what were 2 new machines. I don’t trust Philips worth a damn and just want this pathetic recall over.

Does Philips really want the original machine back - or can I just trash them?

If I have to send machines back I will send them the refurbs back. I am going ResMed all the way from this day forward. The refurbs are filthy and full of who knows what. Any advice? Thanks.

Jon

greyhound

Re: Respironics replacement - is it really necessary to return.

Post by greyhound » Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:15 am

I got a replacement back in November. They shipped me a new Dreamstation 2 and I was required to return my mold machine.

stevenal

Post by stevenal » Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:17 pm

They provided a box, tape, and free return shipping FedEx label. If I had to pay for shipping, I would not have returned it. I returned it after taking it apart to inspect the foam and putting it back together. Used from 2011 until the recall, and no ozone; the foam looked pristine.
AirSence 10 Autoset, Dreamstation 2 backup, Swift FX, Z1 for travel.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 pm

Way back when I filled out the online request for a replacement for my recalled DS1 I think there was a clause in there somewhere that by application for and receipt of the replacement I agreed to return the the recalled machine when the replacement was received. Not sure if this legally binds you to sending back the old machine, but might. I've seen some posts in one of the apnea/cpap forums that one person got notification if they didn't return the recalled machine they would be billed for the replacement. Never saw a followup to this and I don't know if Philips could/would actually bill someone if the recalled cpap wasn't returned.
My DS1 was a bit less than a year old when I received a DS2 as a replacement. I was satisfied with the DS2 and I sent the DS1 back. If I had received a DS1 refurb I might not have been satisfied as a replacement for a machine that was a year old. I did buy a Resmed AS10 Auto out of pocket which serves as my backup/travel machine. Disposing of electronic devices may cost you depending on where you live which may be something to consider.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:04 pm

They want to keep any machines off the black market,
because every used machine is less PROFIT for somebody.
After the mess they have made, does anybody deserve a respironics?
I think not!

jonquiljo

Post by jonquiljo » Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:41 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 1:00 pm
Way back when I filled out the online request for a replacement for my recalled DS1 I think there was a clause in there somewhere that by application for and receipt of the replacement I agreed to return the the recalled machine when the replacement was received. Not sure if this legally binds you to sending back the old machine, but might. I've seen some posts in one of the apnea/cpap forums that one person got notification if they didn't return the recalled machine they would be billed for the replacement. Never saw a followup to this and I don't know if Philips could/would actually bill someone if the recalled cpap wasn't returned.
My DS1 was a bit less than a year old when I received a DS2 as a replacement. I was satisfied with the DS2 and I sent the DS1 back. If I had received a DS1 refurb I might not have been satisfied as a replacement for a machine that was a year old. I did buy a Resmed AS10 Auto out of pocket which serves as my backup/travel machine. Disposing of electronic devices may cost you depending on where you live which may be something to consider.

That’s where I am coming from. I had 2 unused (to be eventually used) DS-1’s and Philips replaced them with really grungy refurbs. I don’t want to take the time to send them back. I really just want to throw the refurbs in the trash.

I frankly don’t know how they’d get money out of me anyway — whats the value of a refurb DS-1? Without humidifier? They want me to swap my original humidifiers.

If I send back anything, I will send back the refurbs. To hell with Philips. This is a recall — not a grunge-fest!