Add PM2.5 filtering to a CPAP machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
joeshmoe666

Add PM2.5 filtering to a CPAP machine

Post by joeshmoe666 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:15 am

I bought a machine that only has a foam filter, so no PM2.5 filtering. I live in Chiang Mai Thailand and we are in burning season right now, so the PM2.5 reading in my apartment is up around 60 at night. I feel like I'm getting a concentrated dose while I sleep. Is it possible to add PM2.5 filtering in some creative way ? Maybe using a standard paper filter that fits behind the the foam filter or cutting one down to size ? Or maybe using the material from a 2.5 mask somewhere in the air intake stream ? I use a nasal pillow so I don't think I could just wear a paper 2.5 mask under the nasal pillow. Maybe if I switched to a full cpap mask I could wear a paper mask under it ?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

robysue1

Re: Add PM2.5 filtering to a CPAP machine

Post by robysue1 » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:22 am

joeshmoe666 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:15 am
I bought a machine that only has a foam filter, so no PM2.5 filtering. I live in Chiang Mai Thailand and we are in burning season right now, so the PM2.5 reading in my apartment is up around 60 at night. I feel like I'm getting a concentrated dose while I sleep. Is it possible to add PM2.5 filtering in some creative way ? Maybe using a standard paper filter that fits behind the the foam filter or cutting one down to size ? Or maybe using the material from a 2.5 mask somewhere in the air intake stream ? I use a nasal pillow so I don't think I could just wear a paper 2.5 mask under the nasal pillow. Maybe if I switched to a full cpap mask I could wear a paper mask under it ?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
What specific machine are you using?

Some machines, such as many Philips Resprionics machines, have a foam filter and also have paper hypoallergenic (PM2.5) filters that can be placed behind the foam filter available. These filters are designed to be used in addition to the foam filter, not instead of it.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

tyrinryan

Post by tyrinryan » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:27 pm

you might look into an AB filter (anti-bacterial) filter, which is installed between the cpap and the mask, and see if it will do pm2.5. but i think you have to install it before
any humidifier

CPAP-A-MUST

Post by CPAP-A-MUST » Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:49 pm

I recall reading a few comments about people in Australia cutting down the PM 2.5 filter for their machines (I believe they were using ResMed machines) during the bush fires a few years ago. That said, I am unaware of any adverse affects on the machine as a result.
Machine: ResMed AS10 for Her w/Humdifier & ClimateLine Hose
Settings: Fixed at 8 cm H2O, EPR 1
Mask: ResMed N30i
Other: Kinesiology Tape

“Gratitude and attitude are choices, not challenges”

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:13 pm

tyrinryan wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:27 pm
i think you have to install it before
any humidifier
You don't.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:15 pm

Possibly the most effective thing I've seen is people in wildfire areas using a N95 (or N100) mask and taping the whole thing over the inlet of the machine, therefore giving you a large filter area and thus very little pressure drop across the filter.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.