CPAP machine filter: Necessary or just another revenue stream?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: CPAP machine filter: Necessary or just another revenue stream?

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:06 am

Oddly enough, on filters, the Medicare allowable is often more than the MSRP.
Go figure.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:29 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:06 am
Oddly enough, on filters, the Medicare allowable is often more than the MSRP.
Go figure.
surprising

What’s a shame is it probably costs more to be delivered/picked up than the cost.

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:13 pm

What's the big deal?? Filters are cheap if purchased on Ama***, the site that used to sell books but now has millions of items in its inventory. Presumably you change air filters in your car and your home furnace. This is really no different. And to reiterate, they are cheap if purchased in bulk (like 50).

We "think" we have a clean home and live in a clean environment. But we put in a portable air purifier and I am AMAZED how much junk is captured in the filter. So put me down as an advocate. Did I mention they are cheap?
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

ejbpesca

Post by ejbpesca » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:04 am

I replace my filter each month. I have severe allergies and will take all the filtered air I can get. What I don't understand is how clean the used filters look as if they don't filter. My first two machines used about a 3/4" x 2" white filter under a gray foam filter that held it in place. Those obviously needed replacement each month due to their turning from bright white to dark gray. My current AirSense 10 uses a larger area filter with no foam pre filter. About 2" x 3". There is no apparent darkening to them after a month of service. ?? They look as clean coming out as going in. The air has not improved in the room. I have two air filtering devices running in the room. The filters in both of them show the junk they pull from the air as did the older cpap filters. It only takes a few hours for those to show captured matter from the air. I wonder why the AirSense filters remain white, new looking even after a month of filtering the same air.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:43 pm

ejbpesca wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:04 am
I replace my filter each month. I have severe allergies and will take all the filtered air I can get. What I don't understand is how clean the used filters look as if they don't filter. My first two machines used about a 3/4" x 2" white filter under a gray foam filter that held it in place. Those obviously needed replacement each month due to their turning from bright white to dark gray. My current AirSense 10 uses a larger area filter with no foam pre filter. About 2" x 3". There is no apparent darkening to them after a month of service. ?? They look as clean coming out as going in.
Because of the larger area of the filter, the Resmed filters don't need to be replaced as often, the clinical manual for the Resmed machines says to replace the filters every six months "or as needed".

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:51 pm

Although for the hypoallergenic filters:
Important Tips

Replacement Schedule

Disposable Hypoallergenic Filters for the AirSense and AirCurve series machines should be replaced each month, or when the filter begins to look discolored.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ric-6-pack (then click on "Important Tips")

https://shop.resmed.com/GB/en/cpap-acce ... es/p/36857
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

Thumper1947

Post by Thumper1947 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:32 pm

A simple thing you can do if the filter looks white and clean is remove it from the machine, take it outside and hold it in one hand and flick it hard with the middle finger of your other hand. If it's light out and you have a darkish background you will see captured dust flying out of the filter. It might extend the useful life of the filter and if nothing else, it rids the filter of a lot of dust.
Thumper
Mask: Dreamware FF
Machine: Resmed Autosense 10 APAP

ozij

Post by ozij » Sun Dec 25, 2022 6:51 am

ejbpesca wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:04 am
I replace my filter each month. I have severe allergies and will take all the filtered air I can get. What I don't understand is how clean the used filters look as if they don't filter. My first two machines used about a 3/4" x 2" white filter under a gray foam filter that held it in place. Those obviously needed replacement each month due to their turning from bright white to dark gray. My current AirSense 10 uses a larger area filter with no foam pre filter. About 2" x 3". There is no apparent darkening to them after a month of service. ?? They look as clean coming out as going in. The air has not improved in the room. I have two air filtering devices running in the room. The filters in both of them show the junk they pull from the air as did the older cpap filters. It only takes a few hours for those to show captured matter from the air. I wonder why the AirSense filters remain white, new looking even after a month of filtering the same air.
At least recently, you're at lower pressures, which equals less air to filter and less praticles to capture.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Coatimundi

Post by Coatimundi » Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:23 pm

I replace when the signal flashes on my machine to do so. Every time, the filter has looked yucky when I take it out to replace it. When I am in different climates the filter signal will take longer to show up and not look quite as bad as in the usual place I live.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:48 pm

Thumper1947 wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:32 pm
A simple thing you can do if the filter looks white and clean is remove it from the machine, take it outside and hold it in one hand and flick it hard with the middle finger of your other hand. If it's light out and you have a darkish background you will see captured dust flying out of the filter. It might extend the useful life of the filter and if nothing else, it rids the filter of a lot of dust.
Thumper
Be sure to mark the outside of the filter; so when you replace it,
the dirty side will not expel dust into your cpap.