ResMed 10 ERROR MSG: Motor has exceeded ...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JaceS

ResMed 10 ERROR MSG: Motor has exceeded ...

Post by JaceS » Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am

Dear CPAP Friends:

My ResMed 10 is four months shy of 5 years old and a "Motor has exceed" life expectancy warning message now appears in the LED display.

I called my DME and they said the ResMed 10 will suddenly stop when the motor hits a pre-determined number of hours. Though the DME could not tell me what precisely the number of run-hours are. Conversely, my MD said that is not true, he has patients that have gone 2-3 years beyond that error message and the DME is only trying to scare me into buying a new CPAP machine immediately. The kicker is that my DME (Rotech) has the ResMed 11 back ordered for at least 6 more months. (Nor do they have any new ResMed 10's available). Does anyone have an experience with this ERROR MSG and is it true that the motor will just "stop" at some point without further warning?

Any insight you may have would be helpful.

Many thanks,

Jace

Pugsy

Re: ResMed 10 ERROR MSG: Motor has exceeded ...

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:36 am

JaceS wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am
is it true that the motor will just "stop" at some point without further warning?
That won't happen just because of the warning itself.
Now could it happen from some unknown an unanticipated mechanical issue? Sure but that could be said for any machine no matter how many hours it has been used.

ResMed and the DME lied to you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:16 am

That message normally pops up at 20-22,000 hours. That's about 8 years use. Did you buy the machine used? Here is how to check the hours on your machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loe5BHzR4vI

VinnieBarbarino

Post by VinnieBarbarino » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Nicko at CPAP Reviews has a cute video with his kids about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3j7ybeKdQI
The warning is annoying, but I'm riding it out because:
1) I have a backup,
2) It runs silent,
3) I know where to get the motor professionally replaced and calibrated for about US$250,
4) AS10 vs AS11 pros and cons discussed here previously,
5) I no longer use the local DME.
My health insurance/DME was a lousy way to get my initial AutoPAP cost-wise and hassle-wise, but now I know the ropes and can shop online.

Proud recipient of multiple Gold Badges from ResMed MyAir

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:07 pm

JaceS wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:43 am
. . .
" they said the ResMed 10 will suddenly stop when the motor hits a pre-determined number of hours."
. . .
A BALD-FACED LIE!
Normal expectation, considering the source.
Please share the name of the company employing the dirty liar.

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:43 pm

Design life on these machines is 5 years, though some go longer. I am no engineer but wonder if the machines work less efficiently after XX hours due to wear and tear on the parts and/or sensors. Medicare will pay for a new machine after 5 years. Some vendors (like cpap.com) have them in stock for immediate shipment. Call your insurance company (if you have one) and see what DMEs are on their approved list. They have lied to you and do not deserve your repeat business.

If you do not have insurance and are not on medicare, and thus must pay out of pocket, contact forum member LSAT who periodically has brand-new or low-hours machines for sale. He's the real deal.
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

-tim

Post by -tim » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:19 am

My and my mother's S9 have been complaining about it for a very long time. Both still work fine.

bambiying

Post by bambiying » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:30 pm

My 10 lasted for 7 years before that message came up. Pretty much immediately after the message popped up the machine started making loud noises and the humidifier stopped working well. Luckily it only took about a month to get a new one.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:46 pm

Really wish people would state the Run Hours there machines had when the message started displaying , and not the age.

The trigger for the message is likely to be the run hours and knowing that would be of more value, than age.

-tim

Post by -tim » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:43 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:46 pm
Really wish people would state the Run Hours there machines had when the message started displaying , and not the age.

The trigger for the message is likely to be the run hours and knowing that would be of more value, than age.
My S9 has 31,000 hours and my mother's S9 had 36,000. The message started at least a year ago on my S9 if not longer. When the message showed up on mine, I found a link at the time that said it was based on the run hours. Apparently the service software can reset the motor age.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:52 pm

-tim wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:43 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:46 pm

My S9 has 31,000 hours and my mother's S9 had 36,000. The message started at least a year ago on my S9 if not longer. When the message showed up on mine, I found a link at the time that said it was based on the run hours. Apparently the service software can reset the motor age.

Run hours cannot be reset.....36.000 hours are 12 years or more..Personally, with 14 years on this board, I have never heard of a machine with that many hours. The message on the screen normally triggers at about 22-23,000 hours. In your mom's case , that would have been 3-4 years ago.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:54 pm

I'm with clownbell that you need a new DME. I just (last week) got a new AirSense 11 AutoSet. My old machine was 5 years old and as I go on Medicare the end of next year I didn't want to deal with all of that.

I had switched DMEs to get my preferred mask covered under insurance. My wonderful local DME really (truly!) can't get it, at least not yet. And it's unfortunate because in a world of horrible DMEs they are actually good! But they got me a machine, under my 2022 deductible! When the other DME couldn't, not until 2023. So find another one in network, because the machines are available.

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

-tim

Post by -tim » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:19 am

LSAT wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:52 pm
Run hours cannot be reset.....36.000 hours are 12 years or more..Personally, with 14 years on this board, I have never heard of a machine with that many hours. The message on the screen normally triggers at about 22-23,000 hours. In your mom's case , that would have been 3-4 years ago.
I got the impression that there was a way to reset the motor error but that is likely independent of the run hours counter. I thought the error showed up a year or two so ago on mine. My machine might be from early 2012 or late 2011. I think my mother's is older as it was made in Australia but I don't know how to tell when it was made.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:31 am

-tim wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:19 am
LSAT wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:52 pm
I got the impression that there was a way to reset the motor error but that is likely independent of the run hours counter. I thought the error showed up a year or two so ago on mine. My machine might be from early 2012 or late 2011. I think my mother's is older as it was made in Australia but I don't know how to tell when it was made.
The 3rd and 4th digits of the serial number give the year of manufacture.22xx.

-tim

Post by -tim » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:10 am

Based on serial number the two S9 I have access to were made in 2010 and 2011. They complain but they still work.