AAST - reliable information source ???

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dataq1

AAST - reliable information source ???

Post by dataq1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:02 pm

Is AAST a reliable source for OSA information / treatment / scoring ?
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Jlfinkels

Re: AAST - reliable information source ???

Post by Jlfinkels » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:36 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:02 pm
What leads you to consider that they are not?
Sometimes it is the very people who no one imagines anything of who do the things that no one imagines

lazarus

Post by lazarus » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:37 pm

A professional association that advocates for certain sleep professionals. Not so much a source for info for use by patients, as I understand it. And possibly a bit more influenced by manufacturers than some may be comfortable with. Not aware of anything misleading, myself, though.

I tend to look directly to AASM-generated materials for purely medical insights and overall consensus/guidelines information, myself.

The technology of testing is but one part of the interplay amid medical principles, sleep docs, sleep labs/centers, patients, and manufacturers of home-treatment machines.

There are many industries within the larger industry built around sleep medicine, each with its own interests and perspectives. But they all have useful info in one way or another, depending on the question at hand.

[One typo corrected.]
Last edited by lazarus on Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The people who confuse "entomology" and "etymology" really bug me beyond words.
---
A love song to a CPAP? Oh please!:
https://youtu.be/_e32lugxno0?si=W4W9EnrZZTD5Ow6p

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:07 am

dataq1 wrote:
Please, go over there and enlighten them with your amazing knowledge. (and leave us alone, please)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:39 am

palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:07 am
dataq1 wrote:
Please, go over there and enlighten them with your amazing knowledge. (and leave us alone, please)
Troll much!*

Why is it so hard for you to comprehend that I'm trying to learn from professionals, and not just get snide remarks with no substance.

*(as I am on you foe's (ignore) list why do you seem to seem to follow me?)
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:39 am

dataq1 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:39 am
palerider wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:07 am
dataq1 wrote:
Troll much!*

Why is it so hard for you to comprehend that I'm trying to learn from professionals, and not just get snide remarks with no substance.

*(as I am on you foe's (ignore) list why do you seem to seem to follow me?)
Where does palerider state you are on his foe list?

Suggesting that you (and others) be put on a foe list, does not mean you have been put on his foe list. But then again, correct conclusions, attention to detail and critical reading has never been your strong suit.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:04 pm

dataq1 wrote:
American Association of Sleep Technologists (AAST) is the professional society for sleep technologists.

That means the following things:
  • The information is accurate in terms of what sleep technologists are supposed to do in terms of their profession.
  • The information is not aimed at ordinary patients. So expect a whole lot of very, very technical talk.
  • Membership is not free.
  • Most of the information is likely restricted to paid member of the AAST.
  • Many of the "modules" on the site meet continuing education requirements for sleep technologists, and as a consequence, they cost additional money in addition to the paid membership in AAST.
But sure if you want, you can pay the $$ and try to learn from the professionals. But keep in mind that if your on-line behavior over there mimics your behavior over here, you're going to be ignored (at best) and banned, as a nonprofessional who appears to be trolling the site, (at worst)---particularly if you start trying to get professionals to engage you in a discussion of your pet ideas about why a particular hypopnea was scored by your xPAP machine. The questions they are interested in discussing are the difficult cases of when to score an event on monitored PSGs. Because even with all the established rules, events that barely meet or barely miss a definition require judgement of a human being in order to determine whether they should be scored. And the technical discussion will revolves around all of the data the sleep techs have access to during a PSG.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:49 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:04 pm
dataq1 wrote:
American Association of Sleep Technologists (AAST) is the professional society for sleep technologists.
Thank you, you've answered my question
What piqued my interest was a few articles from their blog
Since you bring it up:
But keep in mind that if your on-line behavior over there mimics your behavior over here,
and
discussion of your pet ideas about why a particular hypopnea was scored by your xPAP machine
I think you have me confused with another forum member that that has a "pet theory" (your words) that tidal volume changes plays a role in evaluation.

BTW, I sat by and watched while you pontificated that volume of air flow is unimportant. But your argument seems to be in conflict with your statement of a couple of months ago.
Specifically you said"
The machine is measuring how much air is moving in and out of your lungs with each breath. Detecting an apnea or a hypopnea is actually pretty easy: The machine is looking for little or no air moving in/out of your lungs for at least 10 seconds in order to score an apnea,
Notice your terms are HOW MUCH, not how rapidly. "How much" is a volume measure, not a rate measure

OK, Now, you and others have answered the question about AAST.
Can we get on without the personal inuendo and childish behaviour.

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:57 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:39 am
Where does palerider state you are on his foe list?
Ah, so his signature line is advice to others that he doesn't apply to himself.
I get it.

The question about AAST has been ask and satisfactorily answered, everything else offered by youse guys is just intended to be provocative,
In other words, trolling

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:00 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Yes, it's a wonderful source. You would enjoy it very much and would spend hours on end there.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:24 pm

dataq1 wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:39 am
then by ALL MEANS, go somewhere that there are professionals, as you love to point out, there aren't any here, and yet you keep polluting our nice forum with your garbage.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.