ResMedAS11 How to Change Cell Carrier?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Usual_Suspect

ResMedAS11 How to Change Cell Carrier?

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:40 am

I have been using an AS 10 for 6 years. The motor starting making noise every now and then, so my provider replaced it with an AS 11. The AS 11 is stuck trying to connect to T-Mobil, has a -115dBm signal, which basically means it won't send or receive data via T-Mobil, and it switches from 1 bar to the NoSignal line across the bars every few minutes. My AS10 uses AT&T which is at 32 dBm. How do I get the AS 11 to use AT&T's Network? I can't find a way in the Clinical Menu. Reading the documentation it should not be locked to a carrier, and should be auto-selecting the best one. It's not selecting another carrier. Thank you.

Dog Slobber

Re: ResMedAS11 How to Change Cell Carrier?

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 pm

You can't.
Reading the documentation it should not be locked to a carrier, and should be auto-selecting the best one. It's not selecting another carrier.
What are you reading that suggests it's not locked to a carrier and should be auto-selecting the best carrier?

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:56 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:47 pm
You can't.
Reading the documentation it should not be locked to a carrier, and should be auto-selecting the best one. It's not selecting another carrier.
What are you reading that suggests it's not locked to a carrier and should be auto-selecting the best carrier?
Apria sent me an insert, it states "The ResMed AutoSense 11 will automatically search and locate the best carrier to upload data and receive updates". I don't think this is true, but can be done if has a virtual SIM. I sent ResMed an email last Thursday, still no response, asking if it was carrier locked or not. T-Mobile has never worked well where I live. My employer monitors it for compliance, but they can't monitor what isn't sending data. My alternative will be buying one from my employers provider, and not the one my wife's insurance supplies at no cost. The upside to using my wife's insurance is I also receive no cost supplies, if I use the one I have to pay my employers provider for supplies.

lynninnj

Post by lynninnj » Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:59 pm

Usual_Suspect wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:56 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
You can't.
Apria sent me an insert, it states "The ResMed AutoSense 11 will automatically search and locate the best carrier to upload data and receive updates". I don't think this is true, but can be done if has a virtual SIM. I sent ResMed an email last Thursday, still no response, asking if it was carrier locked or not. T-Mobile has never worked well where I live. My employer monitors it for compliance, but they can't monitor what isn't sending data. My alternative will be buying one from my employers provider, and not the one my wife's insurance supplies at no cost. The upside to using my wife's insurance is I also receive no cost supplies, if I use the one I have to pay my employers provider for supplies.
mine runs off of T-Mobile here also.

It might be a situation where the machine itself can be synced up to one or the other but it’s possible that once the DME sync it up, that’s it that’s what you’re stuck with.

have you tried moving it around in the house every now and again so we can send stuff by the signal? obviously, that’s not practical when you’re sleeping with it but if you can find some corner of the house and plug it in for a little while maybe that would help?

PS somewhere out there i used an app or webpage to find where the carrier towers are and you can search by carrier. might help.

edit 2: wilson amplifiers or cell mapper i think .

Beware the schoolyard bullies, mean girls, and fragile male egos. Move along if you can’t be kind.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:20 pm

(ResMed) devices are M2M devices with embedded sim cards. M2M typically come in two flavours steered and non-steered.

Steered will prioritize a primary carrier, non-steered will prioritise signal strength.

The note from your DME suggests non-steered, but the behaviour suggests steered. There is also the possibility that the device is locked to a carrier. Personally, I think your DME is full of crap and the note is just describing how they think it works.

I've never seen anything from ResMed about the details of their M2M contract. I believe North American devices are Steered. But after years of people asking about getting their carrier changed, not once has there been a post documenting success. Either from the owner or DME.

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:38 pm

lynninnj wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:59 pm
Usual_Suspect wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:
You can't.
mine runs off of T-Mobile here also.

It might be a situation where the machine itself can be synced up to one or the other but it’s possible that once the DME sync it up, that’s it that’s what you’re stuck with.

have you tried moving it around in the house every now and again so we can send stuff by the signal? obviously, that’s not practical when you’re sleeping with it but if you can find some corner of the house and plug it in for a little while maybe that would help?

PS somewhere out there i used an app or webpage to find where the carrier towers are and you can search by carrier. might help.

edit 2: wilson amplifiers or cell mapper i think .
I tried moving it around. My sister has T-Mob on her Cell Phone, when she enters the canyon her calls drop and there is no data. Sprint, when it was around had coverage at one time, but when T-Mob took over they decommissioned the old Sprint Tower and the coverage went away. I am about a mile away from where she drops signal and data. I use Verizon, but my AirSense 10 used AT&T flawlessly for 6+ years. I realize T-Mob probably has the cheapest data out there, but the settings on the AS 11 are not correct, the date and time is all over the place. I manually set the machine up with the setting in the AS 10, but if the AS 11 gets any kind of signal the settings default back to factory. I am awaiting a Sleep Tech to call and manually validate the settings. Apparently they ship out a machine without settings, and when it connects the first time it downloads the existing settings from my AS 10. Since the AS 11 has never finished setting up, if it connects, it tries to start the synch all over. I am considering finding a spare motor for an AS 10, replace it, and keep using it.

JeffL

Post by JeffL » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:39 pm

Call ResMed: 1 (800) 424-0737

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:40 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:20 pm
(ResMed) devices are M2M devices with embedded sim cards. M2M typically come in two flavours steered and non-steered.

Steered will prioritize a primary carrier, non-steered will prioritise signal strength.

The note from your DME suggests non-steered, but the behaviour suggests steered. There is also the possibility that the device is locked to a carrier. Personally, I think your DME is full of crap and the note is just describing how they think it works.

I've never seen anything from ResMed about the details of their M2M contract. I believe North American devices are Steered. But after years of people asking about getting their carrier changed, not once has there been a post documenting success. Either from the owner or DME.
That's what I am afraid of, which will mean either repairing the AS 10 and keep using it, paying $800 for an employer supplied device, some no name brand, and tossing the AS 11 in the trash.

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:01 pm

JeffL wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:39 pm
Call ResMed: 1 (800) 424-0737
I called them, the referred me back to Apria. ResMed said it scans for a connection, and if it connects it stays connected. The only way they know to have it look for another carrier is to take the machine to a place where there is no T-Mob signal at all, plug it in, and let it search for another carrier. They would not guarantee it would not try and reconnect to T-Mobile when I bring it back home.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:37 pm

Usual_Suspect wrote:
How often does the employer need to verify your compliance?

Would it be practical to have the DME download the data from the SD card every now and then since the cell service problem seems to be unresolvable at this point?
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:09 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:37 pm
Usual_Suspect wrote:
How often does the employer need to verify your compliance?

Would it be practical to have the DME download the data from the SD card every now and then since the cell service problem seems to be unresolvable at this point?
They check every 7 days. If they don't see data on day 8, I am unemployed until they can download it.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:20 pm

If you have to buy one from the employer's provider, perhaps it may be a tax deduction? You could keep the one from your wife's insurance for back up and to keep getting the free supplies.

Not ideal, but better than losing your job.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:30 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:20 pm
If you have to buy one from the employer's provider, perhaps it may be a tax deduction? You could keep the one from your wife's insurance for back up and to keep getting the free supplies.

Not ideal, but better than losing your job.
They will want to see the memory card if they can't see the data every month in order for me to get the free supplies, so those will also be out of pocket as well. The employer version I also have to pay out of pocket for their Sleep Provider. I called them during lunch, found out they will require a new sleep study since mine is more than 2 years old before they will let me buy. The sleep study is also out of pocket. I guess I should have went for the higher priced plan during open enrollment, but my wife and I pay nothing through her employer for insurance, which is better than my pay for plan.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 12, 2022 4:58 pm

It's not T-Mobile everywhere.
Do you notice the big black spot in the middle of the big pink map.
Pretty much COVERS Nebraska . . .

Usual_Suspect

Post by Usual_Suspect » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:14 pm

For those of you who run into this, one of my co-workers used to work on two way radios. He told me to get out the tin foil, leave it plugged in, and wrap it with foil :| . Once it's wrapped with foil, wait an hour or so, then check if it is on a different carrier. I grabbed a piece of Reynolds Wrap off the roll, wrapped the machine in it, and now on AT&T's Network :D . It finished the setup, so it now has my old RS 10's settings. Now to see if it stays on AT&T.