New Machine Setting ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sidesleeper7

New Machine Setting ?

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:04 pm

:shock: this is a new machine - I have it set on auto set max pressure 8.5 on auto set and have noticed when inhaling the pressure will go up to 11.5 at times - the higher pressure has been waking me up - anyone know why the pressure is going above the 8.5 that I have the machine set at?

Thanks
ResMed AirSense 10 Auto - Resmed Airfit N30 Mask

robysue1

Re: New Machine Setting ?

Post by robysue1 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:13 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:04 pm
:shock: this is a new machine - I have it set on auto set max pressure 8.5 on auto set and have noticed when inhaling the pressure will go up to 11.5 at times - the higher pressure has been waking me up - anyone know why the pressure is going above the 8.5 that I have the machine set at?

Thanks
Are you sure that you've set the auto max pressure instead of the auto min pressure?

An APAP should not go above its maximum pressure setting. But it will go above its minimum pressure setting anytime the machine is detecting OAs, Hs, RERAs (if it's programmed to detect them), snoring, and flow limitations.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

Correct number of posts is 7250 as robysue + what I have as robysue1

Profile pic: Frozen Niagara Falls

GumbyCT

Post by GumbyCT » Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:23 pm

Apparently there is a 3B Luna cpap and a bipap - which model do you have?

afaik there are not alot of Luna users in this forum.

fwiw - I didn't watch any of these.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... auto-cpap+

I have no doubt, how I sleep affects every waking moment.
I am making progress-NOW I remember that I can't remember
;)
If this isn’t rocket science why are there so many spaceshots?
Be your own healthcare advocate!

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:06 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:13 pm
sidesleeper7 wrote:

Thanks
Are you sure that you've set the auto max pressure instead of the auto min pressure?

An APAP should not go above its maximum pressure setting. But it will go above its minimum pressure setting anytime the machine is detecting OAs, Hs, RERAs (if it's programmed to detect them), snoring, and flow limitations.
Ok I might have figured it out, this machine has an active pressure reading while it’s running, it seems when I inhale the pressure rises above the set pressure then returns - is inhale causing it to read/display a higher pressure? Is this normal? It usually shows 2-3 cm above set pressure?

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:39 pm

Could be it's a bi-level.
We're used to comfort settings being defined as a drop from the inhale pressure - with inhale pressure being the max.
Maybe on your machine you're expected defining the comfortable exhale pressure, and then it adds to that for inhale?

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:10 am

ozij wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:39 pm
We're used to comfort settings being defined as a drop from the inhale pressure - with inhale pressure being the max.
Maybe on your machine you're expected defining the comfortable exhale pressure, and then it adds to that for inhale?

[/It’s not bi level.. but maybe the epr relief has something to do with this, I am not sure 🤔

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:37 am

It’s not bi level.. but maybe the epr relief has something to do with this, I am not sure 🤔 Anyone ?

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:16 am

ozij wrote:
If the OP is using a fixed bi-level machine, then pressure settings are not called min pressure and max pressure. In the clinical menu the pressure settings are called IPAP and EPAP. If he's using an auto adjusting bi-level, there is a min EPAP and max IPAP setting and a PS setting.

But OP says he is using an AutoPAP
That would go against the industry standards and it would also literally mess up every script that a doc writes for a CPAP/APAP device: On the script, the doc writes a therapeutic pressure setting which is understood to be the full pressure on inhalation. Exhalation relief is optional and the script may or may not mention it. And the tech who sets the machine up may or may not enable it.
Joined as robysue on 9/18/10. Forgot my password & the email I used was on a machine that has long since died & gone to computer heaven.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:00 am

I find none of those terms in the Luna 3G Manual.
https://www.3bproducts.com/assets/uploa ... V1.0-1.pdf

I did find this:
7. Available Therapies
The device delivers the following therapies:
CPAP – Delivers Continuous Positive Airway Pressure; CPAP maintains a constant
level of pressure throughout the breathing cycle.
AutoCPAP – Delivers CPAP therapy and provides an air pressure no less than the
prescribed one based on the patient’s needs.

Be that as it may, here are videos about setting up the machine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmP3VDwH9bk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyIaMNvXlM

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:27 pm

I am trying to attach a short video I took - I set the machine to cpap mode just to test it the MAX pressure is set to 8.5 - when turned on during inhale the pressure raises to 11.5 - it’s strange because the EPR is set to 3 and it the pressure rises by 3 .. faulty sensor ? This machine is brand new

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:06 pm
robysue1 wrote:
sidesleeper7 wrote:

Thanks

Ok I might have figured it out, this machine has an active pressure reading while it’s running, it seems when I inhale the pressure rises above the set pressure then returns - is inhale causing it to read/display a higher pressure? Is this normal? It usually shows 2-3 cm above set pressure?
The active pressure reading when the machine is running is not what I'm talking about.

If you are running in CPAP mode, your machine has a Treat P setting, which is the treatment pressure setting and an Initial P setting which is the starting ramp pressure. There is also a Reslex setting under the Comfort menu that has settings of 1, 2, or 3 which control how much the pressure is allowed to go down when you start exhaling.

If you are in APAP mode, there are three settings in the Therapy menu: Initial P, min APAP and max APAP. In Auto mode the pressure will never go above the max APAP setting.

You need to get into the clinical settings and check them. Here's a link to a video that shows you how to get into the clinical menu as well as showing you what each thing means and how to change if if there is a need to change it: [ur;]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyIaMNvXlM[/url]

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:39 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:16 am
ozij wrote:
If the OP is using a fixed bi-level machine, then pressure settings are not called min pressure and max pressure. In the clinical menu the pressure settings are called IPAP and EPAP. If he's using an auto adjusting bi-level, there is a min EPAP and max IPAP setting and a PS setting.

But OP says he is using an AutoPAP
That would go against the industry standards and it would also literally mess up every script that a doc writes for a CPAP/APAP device: On the script, the doc writes a therapeutic pressure setting which is understood to be the full pressure on inhalation. Exhalation relief is optional and the script may or may not mention it. And the tech who sets the machine up may or may not enable it.
I am trying to attach a short video I took - I set the machine to cpap mode just to test it the MAX pressure is set to 8.5 - when turned on during inhale the pressure raises to 11.5 - it’s strange because the EPR is set to 3 and it the pressure rises by 3 .. faulty sensor ? This machine is brand new

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm

robysue1 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:34 pm
sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:06 pm
robysue1 wrote:
sidesleeper7 wrote:

Thanks

The active pressure reading when the machine is running is not what I'm talking about.

If you are running in CPAP mode, your machine has a Treat P setting, which is the treatment pressure setting and an Initial P setting which is the starting ramp pressure. There is also a Reslex setting under the Comfort menu that has settings of 1, 2, or 3 which control how much the pressure is allowed to go down when you start exhaling.

If you are in APAP mode, there are three settings in the Therapy menu: Initial P, min APAP and max APAP. In Auto mode the pressure will never go above the max APAP setting.

You need to get into the clinical settings and check them. Here's a link to a video that shows you how to get into the clinical menu as well as showing you what each thing means and how to change if if there is a need to change it: [ur;]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAyIaMNvXlM[/url]

Right I get it in auto mode when I set the pressure to 8.5 it will go up to 11.5 on inhale with reslex set at 3.it’s almost as if the machine is adding 3 when the epr relief is set because I tried it on cpap mode and set the epr to 1 and with a pressure of 8.5 it really wouldn’t go above 9.5 on inhale .. I’m confused 😐

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:17 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm
Right I get it in auto mode when I set the pressure to 8.5 it will go up to 11.5 on inhale with reslex set at 3.it’s almost as if the machine is adding 3 when the epr relief is set because I tried it on cpap mode and set the epr to 1 and with a pressure of 8.5 it really wouldn’t go above 9.5 on inhale .. I’m confused 😐
If you are using Auto mode, can you please look at the clinical menu on your machine and tell us what the following settings are in the clinical menu?
  • Initial P
  • Min APAP
  • Max APAP
  • reslex
If I knew what those three settings are in the clinical menu, then I could explain to you what is happening.

But maybe an example may help. Let's suppose the therapy settings are:
  • Initial P=10
  • Min APAP=11.5
  • Max APAP=15

What happens when reslex=3?
At the beginning of the night during the start of the ramp period, the machine's LCD will report the pressure = 10 when you are inhaling and 7 when you are exhaling.

When the ramp period goes off, the pressure setting will be at 11.5 (min APAP) until the machine detects something to react too. So when you inhale the LCD will report the pressure = 11.5 and when you exhale the LCD will say the pressure is 8.5.

If the machine detects flow limitations, snoring, hypopneas, and obstructive apneas, it will increase the pressure. How far the pressure will go up depends on the number and severity of the events and also how quickly your flow rate smooths out to normal sleep breathing. Let's suppose that at some point, the machine decides to increase the therapeutic pressure to 15 cm. At that point the machine's LCD will say pressure = 15 when you are inhaling and it will say the pressure = 12 when you are exhaling.

What happens when reslex=1?
Now, if you change just reslex to reslex = 1, but all the other settings remain the same, then this is what would happen:

At the beginning of the night during the start of the ramp period, the machine's LCD will report the pressure = 10 when you are inhaling and 9 when you are exhaling.

When the ramp period goes off, the pressure setting will be at 11.5 (min APAP) until the machine detects something to react too. So when you inhale the LCD will report the pressure = 11.5 and when you exhale the LCD will say the pressure is 10.5.

If the machine detects flow limitations, snoring, hypopneas, and obstructive apneas, it will increase the pressure. How far the pressure will go up depends on the number and severity of the events and also how quickly your flow rate smooths out to normal sleep breathing. Let's suppose that at some point, the machine decides to increase the therapeutic pressure to 15 cm. At that point the machine's LCD will say pressure = 15 when you are inhaling and it will say the pressure = 14 when you are exhaling.

In other words, the pressure should never go above the Max APAP setting. And it will never go below Initial P - reslex (since Initial P <= Min APAP). And it will never go below 4cm, which is the minimum pressure the machine is designed to deliver.

robysue1

Post by robysue1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:23 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:48 pm
If you are using CPAP mode, can you please look at the clinical menu on your machine and tell us what the following settings are in the clinical menu?
  • Initial P
  • Treat P
  • reslex
If I knew what those three settings are in the clinical menu, then I could explain to you what is happening.

But maybe an example may help. Let's suppose the therapy settings are:
  • Initial P=10
  • Treat P=11.5

What happens when reslex=3?
At the beginning of the night during the start of the ramp period, the machine's LCD will report the pressure = 10 when you are inhaling and 7 when you are exhaling.

When the ramp period goes off, the pressure setting will be at 11.5 (Treat P) until you turn the machine off. So when you inhale the LCD will report the pressure = 11.5 and when you exhale the LCD will say the pressure is 8.5.

What happens when reslex=1?
Now, if you change just reslex to reslex = 1, but all the other settings remain the same, then this is what would happen:

At the beginning of the night during the start of the ramp period, the machine's LCD will report the pressure = 10 when you are inhaling and 9 when you are exhaling.

When the ramp period goes off, the pressure setting will be at 11.5 (Treat P) until you turn the machine off. So when you inhale the LCD will report the pressure = 11.5 and when you exhale the LCD will say the pressure is 10.5.

In CPAP mode, the inhale pressure will always be the same as Treat P except during the ramp period. During the ramp period, the inhalation pressure will slowly increase from Initial P to Treat P during the ramp period.