Hybrid mask nasal pillow life.....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Randyp1234

Hybrid mask nasal pillow life.....

Post by Randyp1234 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:55 am

I've been using the Mirage Liberty mask for many, many years. I seem to only get about two week's life out of the pillows before they start leaking. The other day I went to order another batch of pillows and see that prices have increased by almost 300% making me wonder about alternatives and I have some questions:

For those that also use the Liberty - is a two week life normal?
I wipe the pillows off with unscented baby wipes nightly to keep the skin oil build up minimized, Is that shorting the life?
Would the pillows of the Innomed hybrid maybe last longer?
I'm sure I'll have more questions but these are the first few that come to mind.

Thanks!!!

Randy

ozij

Re: Hybrid mask nasal pillow life.....

Post by ozij » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:29 am

Some fo the modern full-face masks are actutaly hybrid masks that don't use nasal pillows at all.
About 2 years ago I switched from the Innomed Hybrid to a Resmed F30 - and couldn't have been happier. It's lighter, far more quiet - and it's durable.
There are other full-face masks that work on the same principle of a cradle with holes beneath your nose. You'll find them if you search cpap.com for full-face masks.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:32 am

Thanks - I was briefly looking at these types and was thinking about trying one.

BP

Post by BP » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:59 am

I used the Innomed Hybrid for many years. I liked it for the most part, but did have leaking issues which seemed to get worse over time, almost like the nasal pillows stretched my nares. I eventually couldn't handle the leaks anymore and switched to the Resmed Airtouch F20, and couldn't be happier.

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:59 am

I tried the Amara View but when it makes the seal around my nose it puts a very gentle pressure on my nares, making it hard to breath. I remember a very long time ago having the same issue with any of the full face masks that seal across the bridge of my nose. I guess I'll have to get used to replacing the cushions every week or two.

Randyp1234

Post by Randyp1234 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:57 am

A follow-up - it turns out that it was the fact that my unscented baby wipes weren't getting the pillows clean enough. I started using those little alcohol prep wipes and I get a month out of the pillows now. But since the mask is now discontinued and supply of the pillows will start to dry up, I guess it's time to start the search for a replacement after 12 years.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:09 pm

I have just tested my altenative baking soda method.
After washing the pillows in warm water, Dawn, and a teaspoonful of dustilled white vinegar,
I put them into a clean Mason jar with a teaspoon of baking soda.
I then cover the pillows with 190 degree hot water (from dispenser), and soak for 5-10 minutes.
Stir to remove bubbles and dissolve soda.
Rinsing is optional--soda is good.