Request advice on AirCurve 10 Humidity change

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
photonic

Request advice on AirCurve 10 Humidity change

Post by photonic » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:45 pm

With my AirCurve 10 ASV and my usual F&P Oracle mouth mask, it was so drying that I would set humidity at 8 and tube temp at 86 (the highest settings) and still be bone-dry in the morning.

With a new F&P Evora Full Mask, I noticed a wet pillow, wet head strap, and occasionally dripping on my face when I would turn over. When I took off the mask, there was significant water inside the cavity of the mask. So I am wondering what is the appropriate strategy for changing the tube and humidity settings to prevent this water accumulation which was quite pronounced. I have never had this before.

What would be your suggestion? Should I change the tube temp or the humidity setting or both and by how much? Thanks for your help. I have always gone full blast on humidity and using a FFM is a new experience for me.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

Pugsy

Re: Request advice on AirCurve 10 Humidity change

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:26 pm

You can't go any higher with the heated hose temp.
If you reduce the humidity level then you have more drying issues instead of less.

To reduce the amount of moisture at the mask level you have to increase hose air temp (which you are already maxed out at) or reduce the humidity levels.....or increase the bedroom air temp in an effort to keep the ambient temps from cooling the air in the mask as much.

Or...If your mask has a short non heated hose from the heated hose to the face....add a hose cozy to the short hose in an effort to keep the warmer air from the heated hose...warm enough long enough to keep the air from cooling and releasing the moisture it is holding on to.

Warmer air can hold more moisture than cooler air.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

photonic

Post by photonic » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:02 pm

Ah Pugsy to the rescue. I now see what you mean. The new Evora Full mask is unusual in that it has a VERY long unheated tube that then connects to the heated tube. Perhaps then the hot wet air is cooling along this particularly long tube on this mask and then condensing in the mask before getting into my mouth!

I certainly will try your idea of the cozy to try to keep that portion from cooling. Also while I needed the most humidity possible with the Oracle mouth mask, I might not need as much with the Evora Full mask and so could turn down the humidity a bit, but keep the tube temperature at max. Does that make sense to you?

You always have such great answers! This picture does not show the "Full" mask but does show the really long length of the connecting tube.

evors hose.jpg
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:32 pm

Wow...that is an extra long "short" mask hose. I thought the P10 was long but that one looks to be twice as long.
No wonder major rain out is happening. Your ambient room air has lots of non heated hose there to cool down the air in that hose.

You can play around with the settings as you wish and are comfortable with.
Just remember that the condensation is nothing but Physics in action.
Warm air holds more moisture than cool air so you can either reduce moisture or warm the air somehow or maybe a combination of both depending on how much moisture you end up needing with the Evora.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

photonic

Post by photonic » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:29 pm

Well I solved the problem (with your help of course). My wife made me a "cozy" for this crazy long unheated tube out of some fleece fabric and the rain-out was banished! I kept the temp at 86 (highest), but did reduce the humidity level from 8 to 6. There was a bit of moisture in the mask but no sloshing, dripping, spraying etc like before LOL.

Thanks for the help. I am stunned at how comfortable this new mask is with its deeper "V" in the nose portion and some plastic wings on the side which keep the nose silicone portion cradled up against the side of your nose to prevent nose leaks. I am three days in with the mask and no leaks felt by me or reported by Oscar, my AHIs are down and sleep time up. Only waking now just happening because I am an old fart! But NOT due to leak awakening. Hazah!! Looks like 8 years of using the Oracle mouth mask is coming to a close. I loved that mask BUT it was very drying AND years of using the nose plugs was stretching out my nares so that leaking was becoming unmanageable. So for this skinny faced mouth breather, I am a happy camper.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
OSCAR software

clownbell

Post by clownbell » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:16 pm

Wonder what would happen if OP turned both the temperature and humidity settings to AUTO. Would the machine adjust to optimal settings regardless of the mask being used?
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with built in humidifier
Resmed P10 pillow mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:24 pm

clownbell wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:16 pm
Wonder what would happen if OP turned both the temperature and humidity settings to AUTO. Would the machine adjust to optimal settings regardless of the mask being used?
Auto humidity delivery is going to be equal to around a 4 or 5 manual humidity setting. If someone needs more then auto might be uncomfortable.
Auto hose air temp is supposed to take whatever humidity a person has chosen and increase the hose air temp in an effort to prevent condensation. Depending on ambient room temps that may or may not work out so great. If the bedroom is on the cool side the hose air temp of 86 degrees still might not be enough.

That's all the "auto" does...it has no way of knowing what a person needs or wants in terms of added moisture.
And it doesn't always work to prevent condensation either.....been there done that and have the Tshirt myself....because I like a cold bedroom.
Auto settings would also run into same problem OP has when the hose going from the end of the heated hose to the face (short hose on mask but with this mask...not a very short hose at all) is so long that the air in the hose is simply going to cool down anyway. With a hose that long that is non heated and probably even a low humidity setting a person is going to have rain out problems unless their bedroom ambient temp is 80 degrees.