Cheap battery UPS backup for power outages?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BatmanMatt

Cheap battery UPS backup for power outages?

Post by BatmanMatt » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 am

Is there a cheap option to keep an Airsense 11 going during a power outage for 4-6 hrs? I don’t need portability or days of use.

Airsense 11 w/ heated tubing
Bleep Dreamport System!!!

Pugsy

Re: Cheap battery UPS backup for power outages?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:22 am

It's never cheap to use a battery.

Number one you need a special converter for any ResMed machine when you use a batter because ResMed machines are 24 volt and most batteries are 12 volt.
I don't know if ResMed has yet made available the special converter for the AirSense 11 models but the AirSense 10 converter is around 80 bucks.

Now there are sometime special battery packs for ResMed machines that are 24 volt but they are far from cheap.

So I don't know if ResMed is yet producing the converter you will need and then once it is available it won't be cheap and it is going to be in addition to the cost of the battery.

Now for using UPS for short term outages...the kind that you might put on your computer....typically they have annoying alarms and I have no idea what all is involved to get them to supply 24 volts to your cpap. Someone else maybe has experience in that area.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:26 am

Resmed likes to prevent apneacs from camping . . .
Eff them!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:29 am

BatmanMatt wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 am
cheap ... 4-6 hrs
Stay awake?

khauser

Post by khauser » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:39 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:22 am
Now for using UPS for short term outages...the kind that you might put on your computer....typically they have annoying alarms and I have no idea what all is involved to get them to supply 24 volts to your cpap. Someone else maybe has experience in that area.
Unfortunately the cheaper UPS models are not meant to last that long when running on battery. Their inverter designs don't adequately manage heat issues and though they'll work at first the ups will fail much sooner than would otherwise be the case.

I think the cheapest solution is a lead acid battery, but as you say the price of the cable plus battery and some way to charge it get in the way of that being cheap.

jas32

Post by jas32 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:29 pm

Pugsy wrote:

UPS for computers may be the cost effective solution for what the OP mentioned (4-6 hours). In the user manual, ResMed 10 lists typical power consumption at approx 53 watts (104 watts peak) which theoretically could be powered by a 600VA (330W) UPS for about 3-6 hours and costs about $70. Definitely not as efficient as a DC-to-DC power supply but it should work. Just plug in your 110v normal power brick.

Most of these UPS’ can be programmed to turn off the annoying alarm.

jas32

Post by jas32 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:31 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:26 am
Resmed likes to prevent apneacs from camping . . .
Eff them!
I thought that’s what the AirMini is meant for?

Also, the OP didn’t say anything about going camping, just something for a short power outage at home.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 am

jas32 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:29 pm
Pugsy wrote:

UPS for computers may be the cost effective solution for what the OP mentioned (4-6 hours). In the user manual, ResMed 10 lists typical power consumption at approx 53 watts (104 watts peak) which theoretically could be powered by a 600VA (330W) UPS for about 3-6 hours and costs about $70. Definitely not as efficient as a DC-to-DC power supply but it should work. Just plug in your 110v normal power brick.

Most of these UPS’ can be programmed to turn off the annoying alarm.
How? We got a ups backup a few years ago and that thing never stops beeping when the power goes off.

jas32

Post by jas32 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:20 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 am

How? We got a ups backup a few years ago and that thing never stops beeping when the power goes off.
I have a CyberPower brand UPS that can be programmed to disable ALL alarms. You have to download their software to your computer, connect the UPS to your computer via a supplied USB cable. Go to settings and find the notification settings, where you can toggle the alarm on or off. This feature will continue working even if the UPS is disconnected from the computer. Obviously this feature is not available on all models, but the ones that have the capability to be connected to your computer will most likely have the ability.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:23 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:09 am
IME you are better off to open it up and unplug the alarm wires. After all you will know when they power goes out IF you are awake - IF you are sleeping why would you want to wake up? To leave the building? Or to plug in your cpap?
BatmanMatt wrote:
Is there a cheap option to keep an Airsense 11 going during a power outage for 4-6 hrs? I don’t need portability or days of use.
Get the DC power cord that fits your cpap and you may already have a battery jump starter - if not get one (or more) and use that. I sleep with mine plugged into a jump starter every nite.
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

Architect

Post by Architect » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:57 pm

When power goes out in my sector, across the street power is always on, street lamp illuminating away, so frusturating. I may purchase several, 100' extension cords, plug into my neighbor outside socket across the street. It's Friday, I'm being silly :D

dneelands

Post by dneelands » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:58 pm

BatmanMatt wrote:
I don't have an Airsense 11 but for my airmini or my Airsense 10 (with tubing and humidifier deactivated) I use Ravpower AC banks.

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pb ... le-charger

Gets me one night of air mini (8.5-9 hrs) and can be had for $54 on sale. Granted it took a while to find that deal but 79$ is easy to find.

Car camping I use their bigger power station,

https://www.ravpower.com/products/copy- ... ower-house

I get 3 nights out of that easily. I don't know what I paid but they also go on sale frequently.

I have 12 volt DC adapters for both machines but am not impressed with them. They are no more efficient than these little inverter boxes and these are super easy to use. I researched the whole PD power bank thing but these are much easier. I wish I could tell you what my pressures are but I can't seem to find my prescription and am too lazy to check the machines. I'm kind of high average if i remember.