Need advice for Full Face mask for 8 yr. Oracle mouth mask user

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
photonic

Need advice for Full Face mask for 8 yr. Oracle mouth mask user

Post by photonic » Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am

Hello folks, I have used the Oracle mouth mask for 8 years now with pretty good results and love its simplicity. BUT as the years have gone on, the necessary nose plugs to prevent nose leaking have slowly been expanding/stretching my nostrils causing leaks. I have switched up to very large commercially available plugs that worked well for a while, but leakage is yet again getting around those. My nostrils have clearly gotten larger and leaks are now waking me at night frequently. I have tried taping as well, but this irritates the skin and swimmer's clips cause pressure sores when used for the whole night.

SO, being a habitual mouth breather, I am considering trying a full face mask again. I initially tried one many many years ago and had a lot of leaks with side sleeping and pillow use. I think the problem is that I have a VERY skinny thin face and small mouth so I need something that is not too wide. I know a post like this is so very hard to answer, but I need some help in how to think about FFMs and start trying some. Recently a YouTuber recommended the Vitera FFM which looks very interesting to avoid nose bridge problems and it looks like it might come in sizes so that I might be able to find something to match my skinny face.

I did previously try a mouth and nasal cushion device, but any side sleeping pushed the nasal cushion enough that it immediately started leaking. It was the Air Fit F30.

Thanks for any thoughts for me. I am very bummed that the Oracle that I have used for 8 years is beginning to not do the job due to nasal leaking and frequent waking due to high pressures happening.

BTW I am on an ASV machine so pressures are usually very low for most of the night.
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

ozij

Re: 8 year Oracle mouth masker user may want to switch to FFM

Post by ozij » Mon May 30, 2022 11:56 am

CPAP (head) pillows can make sleeping on your side with a full face mask more manageable.
I bought one, it helped.
Type cpap pillow for side sleepers on Amazon. Some people cut their own.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ChicagoGranny

Re: Need advice for Full Face mask for 8 yr. Oracle mouth mask user

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 30, 2022 12:59 pm

photonic wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am
I know a post like this is so very hard to answer, but I need some help in how to think about FFMs and start trying some.
I recommend some of the newer, smaller-footprint FFMs with the hose on top.

Examples:

ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face CPAP Mask - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-headgear

These two mask also have lighter, easier-to-use headgear.

Architect

Post by Architect » Mon May 30, 2022 3:11 pm

Using FFM for years, I was amazed how well silent night cushion liner work. I had 0 leaks 3 months solid. Once i figure out how to post image, I'll share.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon May 30, 2022 3:40 pm

Architect wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 3:11 pm
Once i figure out how to post image, I'll share.
create imgur account, upload image there and link to it here.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

photonic

Post by photonic » Mon May 30, 2022 5:12 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:59 pm
photonic wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:27 am
I know a post like this is so very hard to answer, but I need some help in how to think about FFMs and start trying some.
I recommend some of the newer, smaller-footprint FFMs with the hose on top.

Examples:

ResMed AirFit F30i Full Face CPAP Mask - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... -face-mask

DreamWear Full Face CPAP Mask - https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-headgear

These two mask also have lighter, easier-to-use headgear.
Thanks CG, but as noted above I had already tried the f30 but not with the "i". My sleep doc told me that both the suggestions that you noted would be too wide for my thin face. So I am going back to looking for a more traditional higher coverage mask although I don't know if I am going to find one for a thin face. The Vitera looks interesting, but the sizing is for the bridge of the nose to the chin fold dimension and not width. So who knows. Thanks for answering. If you have anymore thoughts I am totally open to comments and appreciated yours so far!
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

Xchief30

Post by Xchief30 » Mon May 30, 2022 5:13 pm

I've tried all FFM that are out there. I have now been using the new F&P Evora Full Face mask for about a month. Fantastic mask. I've seen it advertised with a 30 days money back guarantee. Search online, sometimes they're on sale.

Good luck