Something wrong with my settings or Hypnic Jerk?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jjStegs

Something wrong with my settings or Hypnic Jerk?

Post by jjStegs » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:26 pm

For the past year (I can't remember if started before or after I got my AirSense 10 after the Phillips Recall) I've had the sensation just when falling asleep, sometimes its like a jolt, sometimes it's more like a twitch and other times its like I stop breathing gasping for breath. Its not every night it happens, but its definitely been more frequent. I started analyzing using OSCAR and some on here were really helpful with suggestions and I no longer have the gasping for breath issue but I'm still getting the 'jolt' which sounds a lot like a hypnic jerk and that is what my pulmonologist suggested back in January after an episode of these 'jerks' that literally lasted all night just as I was about to drift off. My pulmonologist hasn't been very helpful and just looks at my number of apnea's per night and says 'everything looks good'. I've brought my concern to my primary doctor after another recent episode where the 'jerk/jolt' went on nearly all night again. He really wants to eliminate the fact that it could be something sleep apnea or Airsense 10 related before I talk to a neurologist and go down that path. He's as confused as I am regarding the lack of interest from my pulmonologist who originally prescribed my CPAP.

It doesn't happen every night, but lately its nearly every night at least once. I'm still a newbie at understanding Oscar but does anything jump out as out of the ordinary within the first 30 - 40 min?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Something wrong with my settings or Hypnic Jerk?

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:34 pm

Cpap does not record any event less than ten seconds long.
If this phenomenon disturbs you, ask for a referral to a neurologist.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:04 pm

It’s conceivable that your periods of heavier flow limitations are responsible for what you’re experiencing. An experiment would be to raise your minimum pressure by two and use an EPR of 2 full-time (I.e., not just ramp). There would be no net change to your exhale pressures, but the little boost when you start to inhale could help with the FLs.

If you try that let us know how it goes and post another chart. Going up to EPR of 3 might be an option, depending on what happened with 2.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:07 am

When you feel or are awakened by this phenomenon, reach over and press the off button on your CPAP.

This will effectively "mark" when these awakenings occur.

You can then look at the data immediately prior to the break in therapy and see if there is anything breathing related prior to these awakenings.

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Kinda coming in at the middle of your story, just throwing out there to consider if Periodic Limb Movements could be what you are experiencing as you doze off. If you've had a lab study, were your legs wired and if so, was there any menton of limb movements on the report?