Rolling back the odometer on an AirSense 10

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JLROhio

Rolling back the odometer on an AirSense 10

Post by JLROhio » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:00 pm

Ok, first let me state, I would NEVER do this but the thought crossed my mind that it could be done...

So, my old AirSense 10 developed a whinny noise in the turbine fan motor about 6+ months ago. I only notice the whinny noise during warmup or cooldown but not during actual use. So, I reached out to my CPAP provider and they ordered me a new CPAP, 6 months ago! :roll:

Today my new shiny AirSense 10 showed up. As I was verifying that the new machine had zero hours on it, the thought occurred to me...

Could I take the new motor out of my new AirSense 10 and place it in my old AirSense 10 (with 16,000+ hours on it) and just keep using it.
Thus, I'd keep accruing hours on my old AirSense 10 (which otherwise still works fine except for the whinny motor), but my new one would stay with zero hours.

See where I'm going with this??

I'm wondering if one could put an older motor back into a new shell for potential sale as a new or very lightly used machine; as the machine wouldn't know how many hours are actually on the internal motor, just what's recorded in memory on one of the boards inside - and the motor is what we believe is key to these machines. :shock: :shock:

Anyways, I hadn't heard it mentioned before but just a thought for those buying used or slightly used CPAP's.

Is the hours shown truly a trusted figure or could have someone rolled back the odometer (for those of us old enough to remember that was a thing!) ?
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

Respirator99

Re: Rolling back the odometer on an AirSense 10

Post by Respirator99 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:00 pm
Could I take the new motor out of my new AirSense 10 and place it in my old AirSense 10 (with 16,000+ hours on it) and just keep using it.
Thus, I'd keep accruing hours on my old AirSense 10 (which otherwise still works fine except for the whinny motor), but my new one would stay with zero hours.

Not really - you'd end up with a new motor in an old machine and a shiny new machine with no motor. Or are you proposing to put the old motor in the new machine, thus rendering it useless? I think if you wanted to roll back the odometer there would be easier ways.

I can tell you that I had the motor changed in my old S9 and the counter was reset to zero - I assume the service department did that. But maybe the counter is in the motor itself?
* Download Oscar
* Oscar help
* An alternative to Oscar - try SleepHQ

I have no medical training or qualifications. Take my advice for what it's worth.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:05 am

Respirator99 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:18 pm
I can tell you that I had the motor changed in my old S9 and the counter was reset to zero - I assume the service department did that. But maybe the counter is in the motor itself?
That's what I'm really wondering...is where is the counter?
If I get a chance this weekend, maybe I'll take apart my machines and experiment with some motor switching just to see what shows up in the hours to determine if the counter is on the fan somewhere/somehow...or on one of the main boards in the machine itself.

I'm guessing that in your S9 case, the factory may have rolled back your odometer (hours) with the new motor install.
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.

--

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:24 am

Respirator99 wrote:
JLROhio wrote:

Not really -
See, you're just not thinking like a criminal, but we know who is.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Conrad

Post by Conrad » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:34 am

JLROhio wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:05 am
Respirator99 wrote:
That's what I'm really wondering...is where is the counter?
If I get a chance this weekend, maybe I'll take apart my machines and experiment with some motor switching just to see what shows up in the hours to determine if the counter is on the fan somewhere/somehow...or on one of the main boards in the machine itself.

To what end?
ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Swift FX

Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many...

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:20 am

Dishonesty deserves no help.
Rolling back the hours, no matter by whom, is WRONG.
Even with a new blower, the remainder of parts have wear.
The user would be mislead as to the life and function of the unit.

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:37 pm

--

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:20 pm

Hey, chimp boy, YOU started the thread . . .

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:44 pm

JLROhio wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:07 pm
...and here they come!

Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:50 pm

SleepGeek wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:44 pm

--

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:23 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:24 am
Respirator99 wrote:
JLROhio wrote:

Not really -
See, you're just not thinking like a criminal, but we know who is.

Just another post where PaleRider offered up his best thoughts on a matter...

I wonder where we'll see him show up next??

--

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:33 pm

You know, your portrait is the wrong end of the monkey for your typical behavior.

Also, though I know won't learn anything from this, but if you'd be less of a monkey's ass on the forum, spending all your time mocking others, you would probably have actually *learned* some basics, and wouldn't have had to ask a question that's as simple and basic as "why does my data look like shit when I set my min pressure to 4?"

You've made over 380 posts, you've been showing your rear for almost *five years* and you haven't even picked up the most elementary basics of self treatment, but you can certainly make a smart ass comment with an animated image which of course helps nobody.

If you hadn't worked so hard at being a jerk, several people would likely have answered your plaintive little call for help, BUT THEY DIDN'T, and it wasn't because of me.

You really should look in the mirror.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:47 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:33 pm
You know, your portrait is the wrong end of the monkey for your typical behavior.

Also, though I know won't learn anything from this, but if you'd be less of a monkey's ass on the forum, spending all your time mocking others, you would probably have actually *learned* some basics, and wouldn't have had to ask a question that's as simple and basic as "why does my data look like shit when I set my min pressure to 4?"

You've made over 380 posts, you've been showing your rear for almost *five years* and you haven't even picked up the most elementary basics of self treatment, but you can certainly make a smart ass comment with an animated image which of course helps nobody.

If you hadn't worked so hard at being a jerk, several people would likely have answered your plaintive little call for help, BUT THEY DIDN'T, and it wasn't because of me.

You really should look in the mirror.
+1,000,000