Is this Medicare Fraud?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
hootenanny

Re: Is this Medicare Fraud?

Post by hootenanny » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:00 pm

I called Humana and they said they'd look into it more and get back to me in a week.

They are my Medicare Advantage Plan and a bunch of other things like tubing etc were billed out separately. Here are screenshots of the bills.

Just because Humana is not Original Medicare, because they are Part C I believe that comes with several strings attached.

I think I am beginning to understand that the line item for the nose pillows includes the mask frame. So the $14.63 includes the three nose pillows (only got one) and the frame that the nose pillow attaches to. The elastic headgear strap is a separate charge.

The grievance states... "Our Provider Relations department spoke with ? and she stated that they only billed you for one, which is for the five cushions. ? stated during your initial visit on 12/29/2021 they did a fit pap on you to know the correct fitting. They stated they did not charge you for this service. She stated that on 12/30/2021 they mailed you the five cushions."

So like the most recent poster said, it's not fraud just the way things are done but we'll see what Humana has to say in a week.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQYuLs ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0ehJx ... sp=sharing

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:27 pm

this entire thread makes me VERY grateful that i don't depend on medicare in any form to be able to buy my machine and supplies.

having said that, i'm fully aware of just how lucky i am. not everyone can do the same as me.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

dataq1

Post by dataq1 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:43 pm

hootenanny wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:00 pm
I called Humana and they said they'd look into …
Is this your bill from the DME ???
"THE INFORMATION PROVIDED ON CPAPTALK.COM IS NOT INTENDED NOR RECOMMENDED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE."

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:47 pm

zonker wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:27 pm
this entire thread makes me VERY grateful that i don't depend on medicare in any form to be able to buy my machine and supplies.
Gramps and I have Medicare Advantage plans and they work very well. Private purchase from an internet DME is always more expensive.

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:46 pm

The fit pack is just as mentioned designed that way so the user can find the correct size to wear.

IMO the message here is that it is time for you to find another DME - they will continue to do this shyster type of business and you (and others) are feeding their habit.

Ask Humana who else is in your network and get the list in case you need to change again.
hootenanny wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:00 pm
I called Humana and they said they'd look into it more and get back to me in a week.

They are my Medicare Advantage Plan and a bunch of other things like tubing etc were billed out separately. Here are screenshots of the bills.

Just because Humana is not Original Medicare, because they are Part C I believe that comes with several strings attached.

I think I am beginning to understand that the line item for the nose pillows includes the mask frame. So the $14.63 includes the three nose pillows (only got one) and the frame that the nose pillow attaches to. The elastic headgear strap is a separate charge.

The grievance states... "Our Provider Relations department spoke with ? and she stated that they only billed you for one, which is for the five cushions. ? stated during your initial visit on 12/29/2021 they did a fit pap on you to know the correct fitting. They stated they did not charge you for this service. She stated that on 12/30/2021 they mailed you the five cushions."

So like the most recent poster said, it's not fraud just the way things are done but we'll see what Humana has to say in a week.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQYuLs ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e0ehJx ... sp=sharing
Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:38 pm

When this scenario happened to me, I told the DME rep that I preferred that my supplies remain hermetically sealed in original packages. I joked I didn’t know how sanitary the hands were, that moved the pillows to the little “druggie” zip-lock baggies.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:41 am

Most of my pillows come inside the resmed tearaway bags--
Then I remove them to a "druggie" bag--so it will fit in my storage.
First mask during Covid--they left sealed, so I did get all the pillows--
as if I can use them! I'd rather they got sold than wasted.
The fit pack is never used by Medicare for pricing,
but DMEs can order masks any way they like.