Something's wrong with my machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tokyoite

Something's wrong with my machine

Post by Tokyoite » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:06 pm

I have a Philips REMstar Auto A-Flex. I've had it over 7 years. Yes, it was recalled, and I registered on their web site months ago, but I've heard nothing since then.

Anyway, my doctor told me to go ahead and keep using it in the meantime.

I've been happy with the machine for a long time. But yesterday morning I woke up before dawn and felt that the machine was making me breathe too deeply. Sometimes I've felt that in the morning, but when I went to bed it was no problem. But this time, it was still bothering me when I went to bed. I tried adjusting the pressure and other things, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Can these machines self-adjust in ways that are annoying? I've had trouble with the nosepiece coming off the tube during the night - I'm wondering if becoming disconnected caused it to self-adjust somehow, because it couldn't detect any breathing.

Or is it just malfunctioning? Recall or no, is this machine done for?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Something's wrong with my machine

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:28 pm

I would try to get a chest x-ray to confirm there is nothing wrong.
It is said the risk is low---statistically.
IOW, most people should be pretty safe . . . but a few are completely outa luck.
Don't be "that guy".

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:03 pm

it's hard to go by what you're telling us. feelings aren't as solid as regular data.

if you could get the software, oscar, and give us some reports, maybe someone can see if there is anything that can be corrected via settings.

you can get the oscar software here-

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

i'm assuming your machine is oscar compatible. if not, someone will be along to correct me. :lol:

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:07 pm

While I agree you should see a doctor, a machine that's been used for seven years is suspect.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:30 pm

Tokyoite wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:06 pm
Can these machines self-adjust in ways that are annoying?
No.
Tokyoite wrote:
this time, it was still bothering me when I went to bed
This bothers me a lot because even if the machine did/was try to fail the fact that the symptoms lasted all day is a worry.
They should have abated fairly soon after turning the machine off.

I think a call to the doctor is in order....just to get him in the loop if nothing else.
Tokyoite wrote:
Or is it just malfunctioning? Recall or no, is this machine done for?
This is something we really can't answer given the very limited data available.
A look at the software report might give us a hint as to something going on on changed with the settings.
Also might not and it wouldn't be impossible that something with your body has changed or maybe you had a boatload of apnea events that created your symptoms.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tokyoite

Post by Tokyoite » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:29 pm

Thanks for the info on Oscar. I've been wanting to find a way to get my data myself since I found that my doctor is now charging $100 to read data cards.

I'm surprised to see that I'm being shown April-July as the "last three months". I'm not sure if that means the internal calendar is wrong, or something else.

What would be the most relevant data to look at for this problem?

Tokyoite

Post by Tokyoite » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:07 pm

It seems the calendar is wrong -- according to this, it's now 2018.
See attached.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 14.06.11.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 14.06.11.png (343.47 KiB) Viewed 793 times

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:38 am

Hmmm.... there is a chance the calendar discrepancy is a software error with OSCAR.
I am going to point your problem to someone that knows more about the inner workings of OSCAR than I do and get his thoughts. It's a remote chance though IMHO.

But regardless of the date showing...the results should be the results so can you share the detailed report for the last night showing which I guess would be July 17, 2018 according to things.

Can you be more specific about your difficulties breathing the last few nights that lasted until bedtime???
Explain in more detail what you were/are feeling????

And yes...time to be shopping for a new machine ASAP.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:27 am

I agree with Pugsy's questions about breathing difficulties.

For the OSCAR report, "last night" might actually be Jun 8, 1970 and not July 17, 2018. The only way to know for sure what the CPAP machine's internal calendar is set to is to import data again after another night's sleep and see which "last date" changes. Does Jul 17, 2018 or Jun 8, 1970 advance by one day?

"Dec 31, 1969" suggests the date was "0" and the dates after that show regular increments from that zero date forward. That suggests the clock in the machine got reset to 0.

The date in that machine cannot be changed by the user. I am told it requires special cable and software to do that, or taking it in to a DME to be adjusted.

The machine has an internal battery (like computers do) to keep its clock and calendar running. My speculation is that the battery could have failed. The battery is not user replaceable (I am told it is soldered in). If the machine is always plugged in to mains power, the machine could have run for some time without relying on the battery. The battery may have had enough life left in it to handle short power outages but not a longer one.

So, yes, time to replace the machine.

OSCAR 1.5.1 is the latest release.
OSCAR Team
ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto, F&P Brevida.
FlashAir SD and FlashPap for data transfer.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:27 pm

BlueDragon wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:27 am
I agree with Pugsy's questions about breathing difficulties.

For the OSCAR report, "last night" might actually be Jun 8, 1970 and not July 17, 2018. The only way to know for sure what the CPAP machine's internal calendar is set to is to import data again after another night's sleep and see which "last date" changes. Does Jul 17, 2018 or Jun 8, 1970 advance by one day?

"Dec 31, 1969" suggests the date was "0" and the dates after that show regular increments from that zero date forward. That suggests the clock in the machine got reset to 0.

The date in that machine cannot be changed by the user. I am told it requires special cable and software to do that, or taking it in to a DME to be adjusted.
The average DME can't reset it, it takes equipment and software that only repair facilities have. There's a service manual floating around on the net.
TO CALIBRATE THE DEVICE’S RTC:
1. Ensure AC power is connected to the device.
2. Connect the device to com port 1 (COM1) of your computer via the Link Module and DB9F-DB9M Cable. Refer to Section 1.1 for information on connecting the device to a PC.
3. Open Service Center Tools from the Start menu.
4. When you open the Service Center Tools Suite 3.0 software, select “Real Time Clock Calibration” from the drop-down menu, then click on the “Execute Tool” button.
5. Once the Real-Time Clock Calibration tool has been launched, click on “Set RT Clock” button to calibrate the Real-time Clock. A dialog box appears once the RTC has been successfully calibrated.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tokyoite

Post by Tokyoite » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:32 am

Thanks for your responses.

Here in Japan, it's a lot easier to rent a machine than buy one, and I'm not sure who I would go to to get this one fixed (assuming it's broken). So today I arranged to rent a machine and I have it at home now.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Philips eventually contacts me to replace my recalled machine!