Therapy Consistency

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
golfgame

Re: Therapy Consistency

Post by golfgame » Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:57 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:54 pm
Aha! You are having clusters of obstructive apneas. They are probably occurring due to your sleep position. There are several possibilities.

You might be rolling onto your back. Do you think that might be it? If so, you can train yourself to do that a lot less. We can help with suggestions.

You might be tucking your chin down toward your chest, which constrains your windpipe and makes it easier for obstructions to occur. If you use several pillows, or a high pillow, the solution might be as simple as using a single, fairly firm, fairly flat pillow. If that's not it, you might benefit from using a soft cervical collar to keep your chin up.
Are there multiple versions of the soft cervical collar to consider? Are you aware if Medicare perhaps pays for one?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:13 am

golfgame wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:57 am

Are there multiple versions of the soft cervical collar to consider?
what you can buy at the local walgreens or cvs or riteaid etc will work just fine. look in the "old people" section (I CAN SAY THIS CUZ I ARE ONE!) where canes and bedpans and such are kept.

or if you want it from amazon-

https://www.amazon.com/Coreline-Cervica ... 749&sr=8-4

this is the one i use. it's 4" (height) but you may want to start with a 3" if you're uncertain.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:25 am

Medicare doesn't routinely pay for soft cervical collars that can be bought OTC.

Now a special collar/brace used after a surgery and requiring a RX...different story but usually a good rule of thumb is if you can purchase it OTC without RX....Medicare won't pay.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

photonic

Post by photonic » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:09 pm

I am sorry that I am very late to this party, but I noticed that you said you have both obstructive and central events. I believe this makes your Daignosis complex sleep apnea. Often Complex SA does not react well to constant CPAP or BiPAP and can make deoxygenations worse. This is the reason I was put on an ASV machine which made all the difference. It only gives you pressure when needed either from sensed obstruction or very low respiratory rates (central).

I came to your post looking for info on the F30 mask (I use the oracle mouth mask because I am a very strong mouth breather as well)

I wonder if my comments might be of assistance to you understanding your CPAP experience.

Cheers
ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
8 years with F&P Oracle mouth mask now changing to
F&P Evora Full with S-M size
Hozer hose management device (a miracle!)
OSCAR software

golfgame

Post by golfgame » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:40 am

Photonic,

You said.
"I came to your post looking for info on the F30 mask (I use the oracle mouth mask because I am a very strong mouth breather as well"

I just saw your reply and I thank you.

As I indicated at the beginning I use the Resmed Airfit F30I mask, a large frame with a medium nose piece. To date, this has served me the best. Being a terrible mouth breather this mask has taken care of that issue. I at times hear air escaping as I change positions but it does not pose an air leak problem in the reports. It does however wake me up. It has been suggested that I try a collar which I am going to do. The reason is that it was suggested that I might be dropping my chin. When I do wake from the air noise I find that if I raise my head upwards the noise stops.

This current setup has drastically lowered my apnea rate. The reports are usually below three and often in the one+ range.