I'm new to this forum, and to CPAP, having my Sleep studies done in November and December, and was sent home with my pressure set at a constant 12. Thanks to the great information here, I am now able to see that my AHI is 3.5, and my leak is 41. This compares with the 30 AHI that was found during my first study, so I think this means that the treatment is working.
I never had problems sleeping prior to CPAP, although my wife had problems with my snoring. Now I find that I typically wake up 3 or 4 times a night, and that each time I find I need to press the Ramp button in order to get back to sleep.
Question; should I consider turning on the auto function on my unit? I'm thinking that if the pressure was lower overall, I might find it more likely that I sleep through the night without waking. I tired upping the C-Flex from 2 to 3, but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.
Thank you, and thanks for the great information on this forum!
Bill
Enable APAP?
Bill,
According to your profile, you have the M Series Pro machine.....which is a straight-pressure machine. It can't be turned into an "Auto".
If the pressure of 12 is a little too much to start out with, you could try setting it back to 10 for a little while until you get used to it.....and then start raising the pressure.....if need be. Watch your statistics and see if the improve or get worse.
Best wishes,
Den
According to your profile, you have the M Series Pro machine.....which is a straight-pressure machine. It can't be turned into an "Auto".
If the pressure of 12 is a little too much to start out with, you could try setting it back to 10 for a little while until you get used to it.....and then start raising the pressure.....if need be. Watch your statistics and see if the improve or get worse.
Best wishes,
Den
(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05
Someone paid for a APAP, at least I'd find out I didn't like it, before I gave up. I love mine.
You are using 12 cm on CPAP, I would use 9 cm to 13 cm, ramp turned off. (I don't like wheelchairs). Make sure you aren't having any mouthbreathing problems, if so they have to be addressed. No mouthbreathing allowed.
I think with AFLEX you will have less leaks. Jim
You are using 12 cm on CPAP, I would use 9 cm to 13 cm, ramp turned off. (I don't like wheelchairs). Make sure you aren't having any mouthbreathing problems, if so they have to be addressed. No mouthbreathing allowed.
I think with AFLEX you will have less leaks. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
Sorry, missed the profile error. I would try Den's suggestion, and if you are really serious on treatment, I would consider getting the card reader and software. It allows you to see what your treatment is doing. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire
Enable APAP
Many find APAP to be more comfortable than straight CPAP since APAP will operate at the lowest pressure necessary to maintain patency of your upper airway. others respond better to straight CPAP, finding that some APAPs are too slow or sluggish to respond to events (usually some of those using Respironics REMstars), or that the titration algorithm is too aggressive and increases pressure too abruptly, thus causing awakenings (usually some of those using ResMed AutoSets).
Most important however, is to discuss the decision to enable APAP with your sleep doc, since there ARE some serious medical contra-inidcations for auto-titration (APAP) such as the occurenece of significant central apneas, mixed apneas, complex sleep disordered breathing (CSDB) or Cheyne-Stokes respiration. These ought o be ruled out or at least discussed with your sleep doc before undedrtaking a trial of APAP.
Hope this helps.
Chuck
Most important however, is to discuss the decision to enable APAP with your sleep doc, since there ARE some serious medical contra-inidcations for auto-titration (APAP) such as the occurenece of significant central apneas, mixed apneas, complex sleep disordered breathing (CSDB) or Cheyne-Stokes respiration. These ought o be ruled out or at least discussed with your sleep doc before undedrtaking a trial of APAP.
Hope this helps.
Chuck
People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org
_______________________________
http://www.savedarfur.org
_______________________________


