Improving CPAP sleep quality

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nabraha

Improving CPAP sleep quality

Post by nabraha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 am

Good Morning,
My name is Natnael Abraha. My team and I are working on improving sleep quality from inconsistent and unregulated positive air pressure delivery associated with CPAP for our SENIOR DESIGN project at the University of Texas at San Antonio. We have created a survey to gather CPAP Machine issues. It would mean a lot if you can complete the survey below, it does not ask for your name, personal information, or emails. It is just a few yes or no questions about the CPAP machines.

Google Survey Link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Thank you,

Natnael Abraha
Biomedical Engineer
the University of Texas at San Antonio
natnaelhabraha@gmail.com
pdq039@my.utsa.edu
Last edited by nabraha on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: CPAP survey for Senior Design project

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:12 am

Removed hasty critique.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Re: Improving CPAP sleep quality

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:20 am

Completed
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

nabraha

Post by nabraha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:34 am

It does not ask for any personal information, also the message was approved by the moderator of this forum before being posted. We need user feedback to improve the machine.

Pugsy

Re: CPAP survey for Senior Design project

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:40 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:12 am
OH, NO!
NOT ANOTHER ONE!

(This one looks suspiciously like a phishing expedition.)
[[[Warning!!! Do not share any personal information.]]]
Actually if one takes the time to look at things...
Nowhere on the survey does it even remotely ask for any personal potentially identifying information...not even an email
address.
Age is the only thing potentially personal.
Also posted information does point to email address that seems to be associated with stated university.

These kids at these universities do get assigned projects like this all the time. Nothing ulterior in their motives...just trying to do assignments to the best of there ability.

I did some research before I approved this new account post....IP address points to Texas for one thing.
Survey doesn't even require an email address to take it.
If it had smelled bad I wouldn't have approved the post.

Not everyone out there is a bad guy with ulterior motives.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:57 am

OK, removing mean text . . .

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am

nabraha wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:57 am
Good Morning,
My name is Natnael Abraha. My team and I are working on improving sleep quality from inconsistent and unregulated positive air pressure delivery associated with CPAP
Maybe you should look at modern cpaps and their pressure delivery.

Modern CPAPs deliver extremely consistent and highly regulated positive air pressure.

Starting a project with a flawed premise frequently leads to a less optimal outcome.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

NoOnesPerfect

Post by NoOnesPerfect » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am

I completed the questionnaire, but honestly don’t see much value in it. The questions were simply too general and didn’t point to reasons why people might find CPAP therapy to be easy/difficult or why masks might be uncomfortable.

nabraha

Post by nabraha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:06 am

palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:23 am
nabraha wrote:
Good Morning,
My name is Natnael Abraha. My team and I are working on improving sleep quality from inconsistent and unregulated positive air pressure delivery associated with CPAP

Modern CPAPs deliver extremely consistent and highly regulated positive air pressure.

Starting a project with a flawed premise frequently leads to a less optimal outcome.
Thank you for the feedback, We are still doing the literature review for the modern predicate CPAPs, we are gathering the new features they have and what needs to be improved as well. However, user input is one of the requirements for our project. we will try to make our project as flawless as possible.

nabraha

Post by nabraha » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:11 am

NoOnesPerfect wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am
I completed the questionnaire, but honestly don’t see much value in it. The questions were simply too general and didn’t point to reasons why people might find CPAP therapy to be easy/difficult or why masks might be uncomfortable.
Thank you for completing the questionnaire, we really appreciate it. I will notify my team to work on new questions that are specific to better understand the need to improve the device. Thank you for your feedback

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am

palerider wrote:
nabraha wrote:
Good Morning,

What he said!
Research is necessary in order to formulate an intelligent project.
I foresee an "F" in your permanent record.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:09 pm

nabraha wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:11 am
to better understand the need to improve the device
Use one for four or five nights.
"It's not the number of breaths we take, it's the number of moments that take our breath away."

ashlei95

Post by ashlei95 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 am
palerider wrote:
nabraha wrote:
Good Morning,

What he said!
Research is necessary in order to formulate an intelligent project.
I foresee an "F" in your permanent record.
Hello, I am a member of the Design Team for this project. There may be some degree of miscommunication about the premise of our project. The "consistency" of the CPAP, in terms of constant flow delivery, is not our primary focus (because, as stated, many efficient devices are already available). We have done the research necessary in order to formulate an "intelligent" project, to know this. The word "consistent" is used in terms of consistency with the biological need of the PT. Our intent is to build a device which is capable of altering pressure flow delivered consistent with the changing state of the PT (derived from noninvasive measurements of SpO2, HR, etc.). This will hopefully bridge the gap between flow overload and under-delivery, to keep the PT comfortable and rested.

In addition, an important note: We could have chosen any device or topic within the biological system to focus on for this project. Our engineering team is very experienced and knowledgeable in medical device design. We chose to focus on issues associated with CPAP to hopefully improve the overall device design after consulting with a CPAP user who expressed a very specific and relevant Need. Our priority is to provide insight and make progress in the development of devices used for CPAP therapy; not whether we earn an "F" or not. The team is going above and beyond to not just receive a grade, but with a goal to improve the quality of life for CPAP users. That said, any constructive feedback, commonly experienced issues you would like us to focus on, etc. are welcomed and will be considered in device design.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:57 pm

nabraha wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:11 am
NoOnesPerfect wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:54 am
Thank you for completing the questionnaire, we really appreciate it. I will notify my team to work on new questions that are specific to better understand the need to improve the device. Thank you for your feedback
I also completed the questionnaire and agree with NOP that it’s unlikely to yield useful data. As you develop new questions, I strongly recommend that you consult with CPAP users.

It’d also be good to define your goals more sharply. Are you aiming to lower AHI? Reduce desats? Improve compliance? Or ,,,,,?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm

ashlei95 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 pm
any constructive feedback
You may have already noticed that people with sleep disorders tend toward the cranky style of the mood scale.