Mom's bilevel?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ShallowBreather

Mom's bilevel?

Post by ShallowBreather » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:45 am

Hello all. Knowing that I have another week for my titration study and who knows how long to get a machine, my mom has offered me her spare bilevel machine during the interim. Is that even possible for treatment of centrals? Is this a dumb move or a good one, or is it better to just keep going maskless until I can get officially hooked up?

Thank you
AirCurve 10 ASV :D
Min PS 5.0 Max Ps 10.0 EPAP 6.0
P10 pillows

Miss Emerita

Re: Mom's bilevel?

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:20 am

In your place, I would sit tight and go without a machine until the titration. the main reason is that we don't have anything to go on in advising you about settings. I've also read that if you use a machine right up to the time of any sleep study, this can distort the results.

Have you heard yet whether they will include an ASV trial in the titration if bi-level doesn't work?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ShallowBreather

Post by ShallowBreather » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:20 am
In your place, I would sit tight and go without a machine until the titration. the main reason is that we don't have anything to go on in advising you about settings. I've also read that if you use a machine right up to the time of any sleep study, this can distort the results.

Have you heard yet whether they will include an ASV trial in the titration if bi-level doesn't work?
Thank, but aw shucks. That sucks. She has the Resmed vpap auto 25. It's an older one. I was really hoping to sleep.

No, I haven't heard anything. I don't even know for sure where I'll have the titration because I'm on a waiting list. I do plan on asking (firmly) that they include ASV in the titration study because I had so many centrals with no mask on (it wasn't "treatment emergent").

Does everyone else agree?
P10 pillows

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:39 am

Can't say re the tech stuff, but consider how long (? yrs) you went without Cpap and lived to tell about it here. :)

ShallowBreather

Post by ShallowBreather » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:45 am

Julie wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:39 am
Can't say re the tech stuff, but consider how long (? yrs) you went without Cpap and lived to tell about it here. :)
This is true. But I think I'm more aware of it now that I've been told I have it.

I actually woke up the other day from a dead sleep and thought there was an earthquake, but I now think it was just the adrenaline dump from an apnea episode. I'm really ready to put this behind me, and I'm not good at waiting. :)

God bless you all for what you do here.
P10 pillows

ShallowBreather

Post by ShallowBreather » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:46 am

But on the other hand, since my titration is Wednesday, I just might keep her bilevel offer open if there's a delay in me getting a machine. You guys could definitely help me to get that set up after the titration session, right?
P10 pillows

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:15 pm

ShallowBreather wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:36 am
Miss Emerita wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:20 am

Thank, but aw shucks. That sucks. She has the Resmed vpap auto 25. It's an older one. I was really hoping to sleep.

No, I haven't heard anything. I don't even know for sure where I'll have the titration because I'm on a waiting list. I do plan on asking (firmly) that they include ASV in the titration study because I had so many centrals with no mask on (it wasn't "treatment emergent").

Does everyone else agree?
If you had no mask on.....how do you know you had "so many" centrals?

ShallowBreather

Post by ShallowBreather » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:25 pm

LSAT wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:15 pm

If you had no mask on.....how do you know you had "so many" centrals?
The same way they do for anybody else...all those wires and sensors.

They started the sleep study with no mask on, but I was still connected to 26 sensors for brain activity, eye activity, leg activity, and nose and mouth breathing, and CO2. It was a scene! In about an hour and a half, I had 3 OSA and 11 CSAs. After they put the mask on me, it went to 0 OSAs and 43 CSAs in about 2 or 2 and half hours of sleep.
P10 pillows

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:39 pm

From your old post/sleep study report.... you had approx 9 Central apnea index without cpap/mask and roughly 8 per hour with cpap.
So essentially unchanged number of centrals.

Several reasons why I don't recommend that you go playing with your mom's machine.
1...No way to monitor results as that model can't flag centrals
2...The bilvel machine can't do what is needed to deal with centrals.
3...It is possible that blindly using the machine could potentially make everything worse and you would not know it.
4...Zero way to really offer ideas on settings due to data that is missing on that model machine. Not compatible with OSCAR and requires ResScan and a very expensive (and hard to find card reader) to see what data it does collect which is extremely limited.

I couldn't in good conscience help you because there is a chance you can harm yourself and I won't be a party to it.

Take a big patience pill and chill out....wait.
I don't recommend DIYing things in your situation with that older model machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ShallowBreather

Post by ShallowBreather » Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:54 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:39 pm
From your old post/sleep study report.... you had approx 9 Central apnea index without cpap/mask and roughly 8 per hour with cpap.
So essentially unchanged number of centrals.

Several reasons why I don't recommend that you go playing with your mom's machine.
1...No way to monitor results as that model can't flag centrals
2...The bilvel machine can't do what is needed to deal with centrals.
3...It is possible that blindly using the machine could potentially make everything worse and you would not know it.
4...Zero way to really offer ideas on settings due to data that is missing on that model machine. Not compatible with OSCAR and requires ResScan and a very expensive (and hard to find card reader) to see what data it does collect which is extremely limited.

I couldn't in good conscience help you because there is a chance you can harm yourself and I won't be a party to it.

Take a big patience pill and chill out....wait.
I don't recommend DIYing things in your situation with that older model machine.
Perfect. That’s what I wanted to know. I’m happy to take a chill pill. Just wanted to make sure. That’s why I came here.
P10 pillows

SleepGeek

Post by SleepGeek » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:31 pm

Happiness is being on Dog Slobber pr & zonkers foe list
CrankyGranny is Whale Road + many other ids
They are here to help.
zonkers + palerider aka GrumpyHere wrote: What exactly do you think you're adding to this thread?