ResMed Aircurve 10 - High Pitch Whining Noise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
CARPENTER-MATE

ResMed Aircurve 10 - High Pitch Whining Noise

Post by CARPENTER-MATE » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:41 pm

Hello

I have a possible 'air leak' probably near/around the humidifier chamber on my ResMed Aircurve 10 which gives off an annoying high pitch whine (as you're breathing), while operating/breathing (its terrible). I tried replacing the Heated Tubing and the Water Chamber which did NOT correct the problem. Its only four months old - the Health Care company called Bay Care is responsible but they are NOT responding. Although the machine still works, (I can't sleep without it), its also difficult to sleep with it. I researched the problem here and found another similar complaint which pointed to a possible faulty part called an 'Air Outlet Adapter.' Its an elbow fitting that has a gasket and I'm assuming the gasket 'could' become deformed? Here's the part: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... air-outlet

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thank You

palerider

Re: ResMed Aircurve 10 - High Pitch Whining Noise

Post by palerider » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:05 pm

This is often traced to a poorly fitted humidifier chamber. Check the seals.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CARPENTER-MATE

Post by CARPENTER-MATE » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:36 pm

Hello There Pale Rider

Thanx for the reply ...

As I stated I've ordered a NEW Air Chamber Adapter (which contains a seal). Remember this unit is only 4 months old. Are you familiar with this specific machine? https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... air-outlet Do you have any other suggestions? Any other seals? Is there a way to RE-BOOT the machine? (Just asking because I've tried everything)!!!! In fact its obvious this type of machine appears PROBLEMATIC (PRONE) to these terrible WHINNING noises), as seen in sooooo many other posts. Never had that with a Dream Station ....

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:43 pm

I have an aircurve 10. The only two times I've had the whining noise have been only when the hose wasn't attached all the way at the back. The humidifier not being seated quite right gave me more of a whooshing sound.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:04 pm

CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:36 pm
Hello There Pale Rider

Thanx for the reply ...

As I stated I've ordered a NEW Air Chamber Adapter (which contains a seal). Remember this unit is only 4 months old. Are you familiar with this specific machine? https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... air-outlet Do you have any other suggestions? Any other seals? Is there a way to RE-BOOT the machine? (Just asking because I've tried everything)!!!! In fact its obvious this type of machine appears PROBLEMATIC (PRONE) to these terrible WHINNING noises), as seen in sooooo many other posts. Never had that with a Dream Station ....

Ridiculous statement.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:24 pm

CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
As I stated I've ordered a NEW Air Chamber Adapter (which contains a seal).
There is another seal in that opening, coming out of the air block inside the machine.
CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
Remember this unit is only 4 months old. Are you familiar with this specific machine?
There's one sitting on my nightstand, I've taken another one apart, so, yes, I'm somewhat familiar. I have no problems with mine, and it's older than yours.
CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
Do you have any other suggestions?
Some people have reported success by putting a touch of water soluble (NOT OIL BASED) lubricant on the seals you see inside the opening where the water chamber goes) oil based lube (like vasoline, etc) will eat up the silicone on the seals.
CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
Is there a way to RE-BOOT the machine?
Unplug it.
CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
(Just asking because I've tried everything)!!!! In fact its obvious this type of machine appears PROBLEMATIC (PRONE) to these terrible WHINNING noises), as seen in sooooo many other posts. Never had that with a Dream Station ....
It happens, however it's unusual, considering the vastly greater number of people out there that DON'T have any noise problems with the machines, of course, those millions of people don't post about how quiet their machine is. I can't even hear mine over the whir of the computers in the other room, much less the sounds when the air conditioner is running.
CARPENTER-MATE wrote:
Never had that with a Dream Station ....
So, go back to the NightmareStation.

Last edited by palerider on Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:38 pm

I have been using the Aircurve 10 VAuto since late July 2019...haven't checked run hours but every night since then so a lot of hours and my machine is totally silent.
What you are describing is NOT common. When you see complaints of excess noise that is because unhappy people make the most noise. Those of us that are happy have no need to make a lot of noise..
And don't think that Respironics users have all been happy campers...they haven't.

It wouldn't be impossible for you to be having a problem with something inside the machine (blower unit itself). Electronics/motors/fans can fail even in the best of situations. If you can't isolate a reason...take it back to where you got it. It's covered under a 2 year warranty.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CARPENTER-MATE

Post by CARPENTER-MATE » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Thanx for the comments which addressed the problem positively ...

Sure its my problem but you have to admit its frustrating when the Health Care company doesn't step in to help, (after a week of ignored phone calls) and you're stuck with it as you suffer incurable disease ....

Pale Rider yes I see the other Seal (but its buried inside the machine). I also suspect the whinning which eventually gets unbearable might not be totally connected to the seals. It actually whines (even with the chamber disconnected) until it goes to default and shuts off ... Anyway I'll keep searching for a solution, (lubricants etc).

I really enjoyed this machine (everything was going great). Yes, this whinning noise could be 'rare' but I've seen many posts from folks who were driven crazy with the same problem. So no its not evil spirits ... please ...

Here's a number of similiar complaints:

https://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... e#p1387335

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Yes, I know similar complaints but I have been here over 12 years now and I can tell you that Respironics machines have probably had more similar complaints over the years.

My gut tells me that there's something wrong with the motor or fan....when a machine that is relatively new just ups and starts making weird noises that can't be easily explained....and common easy fixes don't fix it....time to consider something more serious.

The only time my machine makes any noise is when I don't have the water chamber inserted completely.

I am sorry your Home Care company are assholes...but it's fairly common unfortunately.
If it were me I would park my little butt in their front door and make them listen to me and the damn machine.....but then I am known to make waves and big ones.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

CARPENTER-MATE

Post by CARPENTER-MATE » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Thank you Pugsy

I think you may be right:

"My gut tells me that there's something wrong with the motor or fan"

As you clearly stated, all the easy and obvious fixes haven't helped at all .... And BTW thank you for your valuable input regarding the number of problematic Respironics Machines compared to ResMed machines ... I really liked the Air Curve 10 when it was working properly ...

I'm gonna take your advice and drive over to the Bay Care office tomorrow and push these guys to do something (anything).... I thought Lincare was bad, Baycare couldn't care less ....

Thanks Pugsy!