Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Buddy0329

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by Buddy0329 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:58 pm

From the Philips recall thread on Apnea Board. I thought everyone should see this:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... #pid400553

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:31 pm

* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

colomom

Post by colomom » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 pm

I’m sad that it sounds like most on this forum who are impacted by this recall have experienced pretty the much the same thing as my family 😢. You depend on your CPAP machine, you learned about the recall, and for most of us it’s been crickets from all who are supposed to care about our health. For my son and mother who both have Dreamstations it’s been crickets from their docs who simply say talk to Philips or the DME. It’s been crickets from the incompetent DME’s (not a surprise). It’s also been crickets from Phillips.

What the hell are we all supposed to do? It sounds like it will be awhile until this all gets worked out, according to some of the info on this thread it looks like it could be over a year until a fix. Like many of you I’ve spent tons of money on sleep studies and an APAP machine and supplies for my son and now because my son’s machine is only 3 years old I’m having to consider forking over another nearly $800 or so unreimbursed out of pocket for a machine that is back ordered for months so my son can breathe at night, hopefully sometime soon.
What a racket, these people are crooks.

Does anyone have recommendations on good places to order machines from in the US? I’ve been looking online, but some of the websites look a bit shady and it looks like most of the ResMeds seem to be backordered for a few months.

georgep

Post by georgep » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:58 pm

colomom wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 pm
Does anyone have recommendations on good places to order machines from in the US? I’ve been looking online, but some of the websites look a bit shady and it looks like most of the ResMeds seem to be backordered for a few months.
I've had good luck with CPAP.com

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:37 am

colomom wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 pm
I’m sad that it sounds like most on this forum who are impacted by this recall have experienced pretty the much the same thing as my family 😢. You depend on your CPAP machine, you learned about the recall, and for most of us it’s been crickets from all who are supposed to care about our health. For my son and mother who both have Dreamstations it’s been crickets from their docs who simply say talk to Philips or the DME. It’s been crickets from the incompetent DME’s (not a surprise). It’s also been crickets from Phillips.

What the hell are we all supposed to do? It sounds like it will be awhile until this all gets worked out, according to some of the info on this thread it looks like it could be over a year until a fix. Like many of you I’ve spent tons of money on sleep studies and an APAP machine and supplies for my son and now because my son’s machine is only 3 years old I’m having to consider forking over another nearly $800 or so unreimbursed out of pocket for a machine that is back ordered for months so my son can breathe at night, hopefully sometime soon.
What a racket, these people are crooks.

I'm not sure what the policy is on this forum as far as recommending non approved vendors, but I have had good service from A website online sales noted as "No Insurance Medical Supplies". My payment notation from them comes back as "International Medical Equipment LLC". They do have most ResMed machines in stock as of what I looked up today. I purchased an $800 Oxygen Concentrator from them in 2019. I also bought a new ResMed Airsense 10 from them last week. They sent what they advertised and shipped very quick. I can only tell you from my experience. Their prices vary as compared to some others. I got a a very good price on what I have purchased. They also stock other brands. They are based in New York.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:08 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:18 pm
Of course, his staff did all the work. If he made a call, it was to one of the staff in his office.

In a case like your son's, do they get all the back checks from the time of filing? Surely so.
Unless you know Congressman Jason Smith personally or have had interaction with him, you are making an assumption on what his staff does or doesn't do. The correspondence from SSA pertaining to Jason's inquiring about my sons case, was sent directly to Congressman Jason smith and cc'd to my son. Jason's office also sent correspondence he received from SSA to my son.

Actually about back pay, the Appellant Judge found my son to be disabled before he filed, per employment records and other documents prior to his filing. The back pay starts from the time of disability onset minus 6 months.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

3U8HP2EDUJ

Post by 3U8HP2EDUJ » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 am

What do we think the recall remediation will be? Repair? Replacement with different or newer model? If replaced with a new device, will it include a humidifier (I understand that in models where there is a modular humidifier, it is not directly part of the recall.)

I'm in the fortunate position that my affected device is an older one I use for backup/travel and not every night. Trying to decide whether I want to buy a a different backup machine now.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:56 am

Due to the sheer magnitude of the situation, any remediation will be unlikely.
Respironics will file bankruptcy.
All company officers will leave the country, to evade prosecution.
and be close to their offshore banks.
The company is located in Murryville, PA--if anyone is planning a demonstration.

3U8HP2EDUJ

Post by 3U8HP2EDUJ » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:21 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:56 am
Respironics will file bankruptcy.
Koninklijke Philips N.V. has a market cap of US$46 billion and has owned 100% of Respironics since 2008.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:35 am

Made in USA--sheltered in the Netherlands?
It makes even more sense now.

Grumpy48

Post by Grumpy48 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:06 am

Do any larger DME's perform factory certified repairs and testing to CPAP equipment? Thinking the swap out of a blower housing where the foam is located shouldn't be a difficult undertaking and doesn't require a high degree of skill.
Disassembly of a DreamStation below is pretty straight forward. A decent tech could likely turn one around in an hour.
https://youtu.be/6SwGXBen4OU?t=79

JLROhio

Post by JLROhio » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:23 pm

3U8HP2EDUJ wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:51 am
What do we think the recall remediation will be? Repair? Replacement with different or newer model? If replaced with a new device, will it include a humidifier (I understand that in models where there is a modular humidifier, it is not directly part of the recall.)

I'm in the fortunate position that my affected device is an older one I use for backup/travel and not every night. Trying to decide whether I want to buy a a different backup machine now.
In the prior video's listed here, the YouTube ones by the guy in Australia - he seems to think that the simplest solution is to remove the plastic housing (with the enclosed older black foam) that surrounds the turbine/fan motor and replace it with a new plastic housing that has the newer white foam within it - the same foam that is in their Dreamstation 2. Again, this seems to be the cheapest/most simple way to address the problem BUT the logistics of changing out 4 million plastic housings would be HUGE!

Other questions arise, does Phillips just send someone a refurbished unit (that was owned by someone else - say for 5 years) when they turn in a 1-year-old machine? Again, more issues are arising with this solution.

Does Phillips take each machine in, do the replacement and send the original unit back to the owner - again, the logistics of this are HUGE!

IMO, Phillips should look at the cost of just sending every affected owner a new Phillips Dreamstation 2 and take the 1-time loss. They could probably build these things for less than $50 a unit. But this would take time as well - and the logistics would have to be overcome.

I think the last option would be the least costly to the long-term image bashing that their brand is now taking in the court of public opinion. Of course, an actual video message on their website from their CEO might also help...don't these people employ crisis management types???
* This is the internet - what I write will probably NOT come across as it would in person; where one can read a person's face.
My posts are sometimes tongue & cheek w/some snarky sarcasm mixed in.
I leave it up to you to figure it out!
:wink:

--

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:26 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:06 am
Disassembly of a DreamStation below is pretty straight forward. A decent tech could likely turn one around in an hour.
The decent tech will finish the recall in four million hours.

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 pm

Grumpy48 wrote:
Do any larger DME's perform factory certified repairs and testing to CPAP equipment? Thinking the swap out of a blower housing where the foam is located shouldn't be a difficult undertaking and doesn't require a high degree of skill.
https://youtu.be/6SwGXBen4OU?t=79
I don't know what Phillip's certified repair network looks like, if there is one. But, I'd guess that once the repairs start, they will be pretty much engaged in that activity. If that's their first priority, they may be limited in taking jobs off the street from individual users. Just my hunch.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:38 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:26 pm
Grumpy48 wrote:
The decent tech will finish the recall in four million hours.
boy, will S/HE be tired.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg